PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray is a British joke

tennis_hand
04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
So much anticipation and expectation from their media and countrymen, but Andy Murray is still a Joke.

Feña14
04-29-2008, 06:49 PM
He started the year well but you're right, lately he's been rubbish. After his loss today he said he's struggling to get himself motivated.

There does seem to be alot of talk about British tennis lately, I didn't know people cared so much! ;)

jmsx521
04-29-2008, 06:49 PM
How is he a "joke?" He is the highest ranked British player, plus he is so young too.

Vitaly Evchenkov
04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
he would prefer to be called a Scottish joke! :neutral::shock::neutral:

0range
04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah how's he a joke?

coloskier
04-29-2008, 10:05 PM
He's not a joke, but he probably doesn't play any better than Blake and Roddick on clay. He doesn't have any shots that can hurt you on clay, and doesn't have the patience to wait someone out.

rafan
04-29-2008, 10:29 PM
He's not a joke, but he probably doesn't play any better than Blake and Roddick on clay. He doesn't have any shots that can hurt you on clay, and doesn't have the patience to wait someone out.

As you say I don't think clay is a measure of his true performance but what worries me that being in the top 20 now his early opponents are very slick experienced players - on all surfaces. I really don't know what he can do to get out of this apart from really continue to attack.

Fries-N-Gravy
04-29-2008, 11:23 PM
he's really the only hope for the british currently. henman never won wimbledon and now the weight of the empire is on murray's shoulders.

but come on, he's still young and has some maturing to do. how many people thought agassi was a joke in his early canon rebel years?

NamRanger
04-29-2008, 11:28 PM
he's really the only hope for the british currently. henman never won wimbledon and now the weight of the empire is on murray's shoulders.

but come on, he's still young and has some maturing to do. how many people thought agassi was a joke in his early canon rebel years?

Henman was a better player then Murray. More complete, all around, and mentally stronger then Andy Murray ever was. The only thing he lacked was the physique to be able to compete with the other players.

OrangeOne
04-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Murray seemed to play wel when Gilbert was really steering him, his play at the 2007 AO impressed me, nice use of variety and control with some random power.

Murray at the 2008 AO depressed me, he completed folded, and whilst it was nice to see the Tsonga win, Tsonga wasn't nearly in his latter-round form at that stage.

I think he's got the shots and game, but maybe needs either someone like Gilbert steering, or needs some more tennis maturity.

He's young though, and if he stabilises on the injury front there's plenty of time.

slice bh compliment
04-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Murray is a British joke? I suppose he'll take that over a Polish joke.

Anyway, I'm proud of Ancic for figuring him out.
Andy was tougher when he was less known. I think people understand his stuff a little bit more now, and he's playing with less diversity.

FEDEXP
04-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Sadly, I'd say that like Gasquet, it has to do with what's between his ears

Leublu tennis
04-30-2008, 12:54 AM
More yoga; more yoga

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-30-2008, 05:39 AM
I agree with the critics who say that Murray hasn't lived up to the hype, but I'd like to add that he hasn't been losing to "nobodies". There's no shame IMO losing to Mario Ancic, who is a very fine player.

I saw his their match in Miami and was impressed by the play of both men. They showed variety, consistency, and intelligence. Ancic may have come out on top, but only by a hair.

Turning Pro
04-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Murray = Henman

Vision84
04-30-2008, 05:44 AM
I wouldn't make the comparison with Henmann. I feel Henman did a good job of maximizing his potential. Murray has still to reach that point but he is young and has time on his side right now.

Ross K
04-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Andy Murray def isn't a joke (give the boy some time, for crying out loud!) However, British - or certainly English - tennis in general IS a joke (yes, still!). Quite why the likes of Croatia and France now have so many top pro's compared to England is something of a frustrating puzzle... and I find it hard to believe that we simply don't possess young talent... surely it's due to how the game is run? Annnyway...

zagor
04-30-2008, 06:16 AM
So far he hasn't exactly lived up to the hype but he did accomplished some very good things like beating Federer two times,that Nadal match at AO 2 years ago,being in top 10 etc. He is still young and certainly has potential so we'll see in the future.

edmondsm
04-30-2008, 01:36 PM
How is he a "joke?" He is the highest ranked British player, plus he is so young too.

Is this really a compliment?

JohnS
04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't make the comparison with Henmann. I feel Henman did a good job of maximizing his potential. Murray has still to reach that point but he is young and has time on his side right now.

I like Henman. he's one of my favorites; not too much murray. But I'll be the first to say this now...

I think Andy Murray has more game than Tim Henman.

Murray has also done something that Henman hasn't: beaten the number one at their respective primes.
Murray owns Federer, whereas Sampras owns Henman.

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-30-2008, 04:50 PM
The only way to avoid being labeled a "joke" on this forum is to be permanently ranked indside the top 10.

What I like about his game is that is noticably different than most others on tour. It's the same reason I'm a big fan of Super Mario Ancic.

Vision84
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
The only way to avoid being labeled a "joke" on this forum is to be permanently ranked indside the top 10.

I would say top 5. Roddick is considered a joke by many.

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-30-2008, 05:01 PM
I would say top 5. Roddick is considered a joke by many.

True. How about Berdych?

Vitaly Evchenkov
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
even though Federer said it after a loss to Murray, his comments were spot on... Murray plays like a junior tennis player still... plays to cautious and pushes the ball and gets in these weird cat and mouse points instead of playing "normal" powerful ATP tennis. Some days it might work if his opponents miss a lot of easy shots, and he is pretty good at changing gears right when his opponents think he is only going to push...
BUT, ATP top players have figured out his style and it will get tougher week in week out to beat other top 25 players with his current game.
I thought the serve improvements would help him advance to top 8 territory, but he is still struggling with his tactics and his mental toughness when he beats himself up and his coach when things aren't going well on the court.

He still has time... yet also needs to start NOW at improving.

(more yoga; more yoga was funny)

Tshooter
04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
That's why I always enjoyed watching him. He plays "junior style" tennis. Was Federer making an observation or trying to insult Murray?

To me it's more interesting than the "normal powerful ATP tennis".

He certainly has a ton of talent. Whether he will develop mentally to join the top few players in the game, we will see.

He moved from the juniors to top 20 almost immediately and has stayed there since. That's better than most ever do.

tennis_hand
05-01-2008, 01:12 AM

ya. he trains and grows up on clay and now u said he is just as good, or bad, as roddick on clay.

Whatsavolley?
05-01-2008, 02:41 AM
Murray is pretty hit and miss, much like Safin. I believe he has a pretty good game and saying he has no weapons on clay is a joke. I know he over uses the drop shot, but his cross court backhand?!

SempreSami
05-01-2008, 02:47 AM
At least British jokes are funny :roll:

Stampen
05-01-2008, 05:34 AM
I don't care much for Murrays tennis but I don't think he is a joke. The only joke about it is british medias hype. Eurosport internationals tennis coverage is 50% Murrays and 50% all the other players. When did Eurosport become a local newspaper? Embarrassing.

JohnS
05-01-2008, 08:31 AM
I don't care much for Murrays tennis but I don't think he is a joke. The only joke about it is british medias hype. Eurosport internationals tennis coverage is 50% Murrays and 50% all the other players. When did Eurosport become a local newspaper? Embarrassing.

That's how we feel, in America, when all we see is Williams, Roddick, and Blake. It get's annoying how the media would rather show a Williams v. an unseeded player rather than, say, a Federer v. Ancic or something... :twisted:

I remember last year or two years ago, they put Blake on center court at the USO during a night match against some unranked player while Federer played on the next court against a ranked player. IMO, that's disrespectful for the higher ranked player and for fans who have center court tickets who wants to watch the best players in action.

DomStar7
05-01-2008, 12:14 PM
he is a joke
its as if he doesnt have the hunger or the focus
he always has virus' and he appears to be thinking "im the highest ranked british player, so, i think il just enjoy it for the minute"

Feña14
05-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Amen to that! ;)

edmondsm
05-01-2008, 01:05 PM

Andy Murray, Alex Bogdanovic, Alan Smith, Emile Heskey. All of these are British Jokes and I've never found any of them to be funny.

r2473
05-01-2008, 03:35 PM

[B]EVERYONE[B] is a joke on this forum.

(intentional mistake with the bold).

SempreSami
05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9Ny7Tme2Y

SempreSami
05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
he is a joke
he always has virus' and he appears to be thinking "im the highest ranked british player, so, i think il just enjoy it for the minute"

Aren't you the tit who was asking whether he should be like Djokovic or Ivanovic when picking a racquet? Jog on.

Dilettante
05-01-2008, 04:39 PM
[B]EVERYONE[B] is a joke on this forum.

Except Safin.

Mike Danger
05-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I thought Mr. Bean was funny

SempreSami
05-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Rowan Atkinson is at his best in Blackadder.

Babb
05-01-2008, 05:49 PM
The OP is a joke too then, since he isn't even a pro. What a loser.

;)

Pro_Tour_630
05-01-2008, 06:28 PM
he would prefer to be called a Scottish joke! :neutral::shock::neutral:
When and if he wins he will be the best British Player BUT when he loses like he is doing now he is Scottish, player:cry:

SempreSami
05-01-2008, 06:48 PM
When and if he wins he will be the best British Player BUT when he loses like he is doing now he is Scottish, player:cry:

Yep, the useless jock :roll:

tennis_hand
05-01-2008, 07:28 PM
The OP is a joke too then, since he isn't even a pro. What a loser.

;)

you are saying you yourself is a joke.
saving my effort to say that first. :mrgreen:

Tshooter
05-01-2008, 08:09 PM
"I remember last year or two years ago, they put Blake on center court at the USO during a night match against some unranked player while Federer played on the next court against a ranked player. IMO, that's disrespectful for the higher ranked player and for fans who have center court tickets who wants to watch the best players in action."

Federer has not played a single match off the center court at the USO since 2004 (the first year coming into the open at which he was the Federer as you know him.) With two exceptions both occurring in 2006 and both related to scheduling and rain. You are referring to the night of Sunday, Sep 3rd.

The first tuesday was almost a total rain out. The first saturday (labor day weekend) was a total rainout. No play at all. They decided to give the Saturday rainouts an option of something other than trading in their rainout tickets for a ticket for 2007. Now labor day weekend is a hot ticket so I guess they had to come up with something decent.

What they came up with was a "special night session" on Sunday night, Sept 3. You could use your sat rainout ticket for this session. In theory there would be no other way to see the session. No tickets were available for sale. The session was Federer against Spadea (Fed's 3rd round match). That's why they put him on Armstrong. Stadium 2. Hardly an insult. In fact it was a tip of the hat. They were acknowledging that he was one of the few players people might give up the labor day saturday ticket to see up close and personal. The seats were all first come first serve. Anyway, how it actually turned out is another classic USO story that I won't go into.

On the second tuesday, it rained again canceling half the day. They were way backed up on rain. Half the draw was one round ahead of the other. Long story short, on the next day Sept 6 they had a day long session in Armstrong in which Murray finished getting stomped in the Quarters by Davydenko. Federer played his round of 16 match against Marc Gicquel. Mauresmo played her quarterfinal match against Safina. And in my opinion the match of the tournament -- the quarterfinal upset of Youhzy over Nadal.

That I remember this stuff off my head is crazy. I know.

But there really was in the USTA mind a good reason.

The fact is if you attend the majors then you know it works the same at all of them. Who plays on the #1 court? The top ranked players of the host country and the few current top players from elsewhere. So where say a Mathieu will play in siberia at the USO he will play on Lenglen at the French. James Blake will play on court 2 at the French which is not one of the 3 stadium courts (where he lost last year) but he will play center court at the USO. The scheduling isn't surprising or insulting. It's what the general pubic (AND TV) wants to see. The people running the tournament are not trying to insult the paying customers.

DomStar7
05-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Aren't you the tit who was asking whether he should be like Djokovic or Ivanovic when picking a racquet? Jog on.

Arnt you that stuck up arse that thinks he runs this forum
jog on and lose some weight

edmondsm
05-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Rowan Atkinson is at his best in Blackadder.

Agreed.....although you can't hate eugh, BEAN.

Ash_Smith
05-02-2008, 01:34 AM
he is a joke

Murray has more drive and focus than most (you dont become a top player without it) and is a complete perfectionist - which is why he gets angry with himself often. He's growing into his body right now having packed on around 10 kilos over the winter break and has more talent on tap than the majority of players out there.

People who say Murray isn't all that are like people who used to rag on Henman (they **** me off no end). They have no concept as to how good these guys actually are.

illkhiboy
05-02-2008, 03:55 AM
I agree. Murray is a joke because...

1) He was one match away from winning a Masters Cup berth last year, after missing two Grand Slams.

2) He has won two tournaments this year.

3) He lost to a no-good Frenchman in the first round of the Australian Open.

4) He's lost twice to Ancic this year. We all know Ancic sucks, because he hasn't played a Grand Slam quarter-final in almost two years.

5) His only win worth mentioning is over Federer in Dubai. Even that has an asterisk because of Federer's mono.

6) He lost to Davydenko in Dubai, failing to win the tournament after Federer was out.

7) He's barely in the top 20, and he does not have many points to defend this season.

8) He got bagelled by Djokovic.

Conclusion: Murray's a Joke

SempreSami
05-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Arnt you that stuck up arse that thinks he runs this forum
jog on and lose some weight

I don't jog, I run.

DomStar7
05-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I don't jog, I run.

I don't run, i sprint
God get a life and stop cyber stalking me

SempreSami
05-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Whatever, keep looking over your e-shoulder.

Roland
05-03-2008, 03:57 AM
British media and the fools that follow their ultra sensationalized knee-jerk opinions on tennis are the joke.
On a mostly unrelated note, Britian has become a caricature of itself.

SempreSami
05-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Are you referring to the number of morons who voted Conservative in the local elections as well as getting Boris Johnson into City Hall? I can't even have a go at Americans stupid enough to vote for Bush twice :(

christo
05-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Are you referring to the number of morons who voted Conservative in the local elections as well as getting Boris Johnson into City Hall? I can't even have a go at Americans stupid enough to vote for Bush twice :(

and are now ready to vote for McCain, the mind boggles but only if you haven't already lost it.

tennis_hand
05-03-2008, 11:38 PM
another white-haired geezer republican, who always calls himself a "kid". lol.

edmondsm
05-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Wow, well I hope Andy Murray has a good Wimbledon.

Barca tennis
05-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Murray has more drive and focus than most (you dont become a top player without it) and is a complete perfectionist - which is why he gets angry with himself often. He's growing into his body right now having packed on around 10 kilos over the winter break and has more talent on tap than the majority of players out there.

People who say Murray isn't all that are like people who used to rag on Henman (they **** me off no end). They have no concept as to how good these guys actually are.

well said Ash!!
are you coming to barca this May??
:)

tennis_guy
05-04-2008, 07:58 AM
British media and the fools that follow their ultra sensationalized knee-jerk opinions on tennis are the joke.
On a mostly unrelated note, Britian has become a caricature of itself.

Yep.

I wish the media was censored in this country. They're just a load of twats. They love seeing people lose.

Btw did anyone read about Murray saying he will quit if he doesn't make it amongst the top players (top 10)?

Greengrass
05-04-2008, 03:58 PM

What gives you the right to call people morons because they don't necessarily hold the same political opinions as you?

SempreSami
05-04-2008, 06:02 PM
What gives you the right to call people morons because they don't necessarily hold the same political opinions as you?

Freedom of expression, you sket.

scineram
05-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Freedom of expression, you sket.

Your Labouring friends are not that high on that, so be careful!

SempreSami
05-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Not sure what you mean there, the BNP are still able to distribute their nonsense to everyone.

serve/and/volley
05-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Andy not a joke, he just needs this:

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Your_Game/Gear/General/2006_12_21_Wristassist_article.jpg

http://www.squarehittennis.com/images/bradgilbert_static.jpg

Motherwasp
05-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Say what you want, he's still only 20 and was just outside the top 50 when he was 17. That doesn't happen without incredible drive and determination.

Ash_Smith
05-06-2008, 02:29 AM
well said Ash!!
are you coming to barca this May??
:)

Hey Barca

Looking more like July now, got a few events and tournaments through May over here for our squad, so looking to bring them out in the summer.

Regards

Ash

West Coast Ace
05-06-2008, 04:16 AM
He certainly has a ton of talent. Whether he will develop mentally to join the top few players in the game, we will see.
Agreed. But what about physically? He still has a horrendous record at GS events - 3 out of 5. Shows no signs of being able to string consecutive GS match wins together - except W where the points don't last very long - and the weather normally isn't too brutal.

The only joke about it is british medias hype. This is very true. Despite not having any success outside of W in big events, the BBC and others thought he had a shot to win the AO this January. Too funny. Until he proves otherwise, he'll be 'Mr. San Jose'...

http://www.angrybackhand.com

tennis_hand
05-07-2008, 06:31 PM
now dumped out by Stan again in Rome. talking about the best player British has seen after Henman...

SempreSami
05-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Better than hoarding ****-gold like Wawrinka. Federer's half South African so that instantly makes him not nice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=de6V90jT4SQ

Pro_Tour_630
09-07-2008, 04:38 PM

I just want to highlight this quote and see what y'all think about it. So is he is Scottish player or and English player?

Feña14
09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I just want to highlight this quote and see what y'all think about it. So is he is Scottish player or and English player?

British, as he always has been :)

Pro_Tour_630
09-07-2008, 04:51 PM
British, as he always has been :)
I guess he is winning then, wait till he loses, all the brits will be calling him a Scott,:)

SempreSami
09-07-2008, 04:58 PM

English =/= British

Feña14
09-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I guess he is winning then, wait till he loses, all the brits will be calling him a Scott,:)

Haha probably! That usually happens when there's a story on the news or when you hear your average 2 week-a-year Wimbledon fan talking after he's lost.

The respected commentators and British fans who watch tennis all year round don't really make a big deal about it.

I was so proud of what he did today, the fact he's from Scotland takes nothing away from it at all.

guitarplayer
09-07-2008, 05:29 PM
The OP, got owned today!

malakas
09-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Why?:confused: Andy Murray is still a joke.:)

Feña14
09-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Why?:confused: Andy Murray is still a joke.:)

So does that make Nadal even worse than a Joke? ;)

malakas
09-07-2008, 05:37 PM

Have you any idea how many jokes there are already about Nadal?:p

tennis-hero
09-07-2008, 05:38 PM

correct

and murray is scottish, dont do him a disservice by calling him english please.

theres a difference, does he have any type of masculinity, if the answer is yes, then he's not english

malakas
09-07-2008, 05:39 PM
correct

theres a difference, does he have any type of masculinity, if the answer is yes, then he's not english

interesting..And the pr!ck character where does he get it from?The scottish or the english?:)

Feña14
09-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Have you any idea how many jokes there are already about Nadal?:p

Haha! Tell me some ;)

correct

And I resent that!

What is the stereotype of your average English man? Someone who spends all day in the pub drinking beer, eating pies/sausage and mash, watching football and beating each other up on the way.

I think the masculinity of English men has never been in doubt. Unless you were confusing us with the French, in which case, you're in even more trouble! ;)

tennis-hero
09-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I think the masculinity of English men has never been in doubt. ;)

yes Timothy 'Tiger Tim' henman was a real mans man. why with all those mani and pedicures and his work as a former hair dresser, who would dare question him?

untill he actually slept with a prostitute America though Hugh grant was gay.... it took him getting some play time with a hooker for people to actually think straight people could speak so softly

and of course david beckham..........

yeah

ollinger
09-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Is tennis the only sport in which players who haven't been to the pinnacle (won a slam or major, won a championship) are deemed a joke? I don't see this in golf or the team sports. It's often said that so-and-so in other sports has an "incomplete resume" or "still hasn't won the big one" but they don't seem to become the butt of jokes as with Murray, or as it once was with Lendl until he started winning the big ones.

malakas
09-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Haha! Tell me some ;)

Nadal has been the butt of every tennis joke :p I wish my english was better Liam.

about english and masculinity..Everytime I see Rooney I regard him as the typical english male.I dont' know why.And he creeps me out.

SempreSami
09-07-2008, 06:27 PM
correct

What's with the h8 for us English folk?

Feña14
09-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Nadal has been the butt of every tennis joke :p I wish my english was better Liam.

about english and masculinity..Everytime I see Rooney I regard him as the typical english male.I dont' know why.And he creeps me out.

Aww your English is fine.

And Rooney isn't the typical English male lol. Look at all the others in the team! Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Bentley etc..

They're decent looking lads apparently. Why do you have to pick the ugly one to compare us all to :(

SempreSami
09-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Frank Lampard looks like a less likeable Graeme Smith!

malakas
09-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I also look at Crouch.:neutral: :(

Feña14
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Frank Lampard looks like a less likeable Graeme Smith!

Haha! Guess that's why we're straight.

Women though? They seem to like Lampard, I suppose the fact he gets £150,000 a week which they could spend on shoes has something to do with it.

Feña14
09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I also look at Crouch.:neutral: :(

Ahh Crouch hardly plays anymore!

You get Heskey to look at, he's loads better ;)

Cup8489
09-07-2008, 06:47 PM
What's with the h8 for us English folk?

i think scots dislike england because of the whole oppressive history on england's part. same reason ireland hates england.

except for the small northern patch, which is mostly occupied by englishman put there earlier in ireland's history.

malakas
09-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Ahh Crouch hardly plays anymore!

You get Heskey to look at, he's loads better ;)

it's not who I look at,it's who brings me the vibe of being a typical represantive of his nation.For example.This little fellow is a typical example of greek men: http://www.goal.com/resultsimg/3644.jpg

:mrgreen:

Feña14
09-07-2008, 06:52 PM
it's not who I look at,it's who brings me the vibe of being a typical represantive of his nation.For example.This little fellow is a typical example of greek men: http://www.goal.com/resultsimg/3644.jpg

:mrgreen:

Lol. I always imagine Greek men to be really hairy and have funny moustaches.

Legend of Borg
09-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I like Henman. he's one of my favorites; not too much murray. But I'll be the first to say this now...

I think Andy Murray has more game than Tim Henman.

Murray has also done something that Henman hasn't: beaten the number one at their respective primes.
Murray owns Federer, whereas Sampras owns Henman.

I wouldn't say a 2-1 record is "owning" someone. Maybe Roddick's 15(16?)-2 with Federer, but not 2-1.

malakas
09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Lol. I always imagine Greek men to be really hairy and have funny moustaches.

moustaches are out of season.Maybe a century ago.:p

Pro_Tour_630
09-07-2008, 07:46 PM
I think I opened up a can of worms, with this English Scott Brit thingi :)