PDA

View Full Version : Most memorable match

Yolkl
01-11-2005, 02:55 AM
1973-After getting cut from my high school baseball and basketball teams (in a school with 3500 students), I caught wind of a new varsity sport being offered during my senior year. Only a few guys tried out, so I made the team.
I picked it up pretty quick and had a wicked serve right off the bat.
I ended up winning the first match ever for our team as the #5.

Tenny
01-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Lost 2:6

against No.2 of our tennis playing circle. He has been playing since 2nd grade. I've been playing about 2.5 years. He is all round, very good player but I managed to pry "2" games (my serve game) from him. And it was about 2 years ago. Maybe back then I had Jimbo like fighter spirit?

Tenny.

mythic
01-12-2005, 04:32 PM
:P Mine would have to be me getting destroyed by the best player in our league last year. Playing against someone thats at a much higher level than you, but not so high that you cant even rally with them is always fun. The thing that i loved about the match though was his play style. He had a decent serve, nothing too great, but hit with 2 hands off of both sides. The angles he produced were amazing..as well as his movement :O Our team had probably 2 of the best baseline power hitters in the league, and i never saw this guy get overpowered or off balance.

Of course i lost 0-6 in what was probably the fastest match ever.
-Alex

Kaptain Karl
01-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Trouncing a guy in our second college match against his school. In our Home match, I aced him on Match Point. But *after missing the return* he claimed he hadn't been trying to play my serve, but that he'd been holding up his hand to indicate he wasn't ready. I still won the match in two, but instead of 4 & 2 I barely won the second set in the tie-breaker.

On the way to the away match several weeks later, I told Coach I wanted to play that same guy, no matter what position he was playing. He agreed.

In the introductions I did NOT shake his hand [Gasp!] but "announced" to his Coach I'd be asking for a Referee the *first* time I thought I was being cheated. Then I simply walked on to the court.

Other than calling the score, I did not speak one word to the Hooker. (I hand signaled my line calls.)

He was shaken ... and I had a blast intimidating the heck out of him. I won 2 & 1 (Didn't need to call for a Ref.) and "Yes" I did shake his hand afterward ... but I still did not talk with him. (Man! That felt good!!!)

tennis-n-sc
01-23-2005, 05:38 AM
Kaptain K,

What kind of college league do you play in that will allow you to pick what position you play? The ITA rules are pretty specific about this.

Kaptain Karl
01-25-2005, 04:15 PM
SC - I played for a *tiny* school in NAIA-II. I understand the NAIA doesn't even give scholarships for tennis anymore; much less, Div II.

It was St Bernard College in Cullman AL. The college "folded" in '79 and is now a private Prep school. The U of North AL and a state school in Pensacola, Florida were the biggest schools we played ... during our Spring Trip (non-conference play). Those two schools killed us.

What does the ITA have to do with Collegiate tennis?

- KK

tennis-n-sc
01-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Intercollegiate Tennis Association - governs a lot of college tennis procedures along with the Code, USTA and conference rules. Stipulates what players play what position.

Kaptain Karl
01-26-2005, 10:43 PM
From <itatennis.com> "Most of the ITA’s current activities, from the sponsorship of eight national championships, the sanctioning of over 150 collegiate tournaments for teams, singles and doubles, and the awarding of an extraordinary range of honors for coaches and players – did not begin until the end of the 1970s."

That explains why I did not know about them. I played college tennis before the ITA had much influence. And my school wasn't NCAA.

- KK

Tennis Guy
01-27-2005, 04:44 PM
:P Mine would have to be me getting destroyed by the best player in our league last year. Playing against someone thats at a much higher level than you, but not so high that you cant even rally with them is always fun.
I agree with that.