PDA

View Full Version : Federer Interview in Inside Tennis (May '08)

serve/and/volley
04-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Here is an interview with Federer with Inside Tennis (May '08 issue):
- http://www.insidetennis.com/0508_federer.html

Here is a summary of who he considers has the best strokes right now:

Forehand: Nadal, Blake, or Gonzalez
Backhand: Nalbandian
First Serve: Roddick or Karlovic
Volleys: Sampras

dgoran
04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
RF: I wasn’t playing too well. I lost in the first round in Rome the week before against [Andrea] Gaudenzi 4 and 4. I just had changed rackets, changed strings — the whole thing — to actually what I’m playing today. So six years ago almost? Before that I played with Pete’s [Wilson ProStaff] racket.

So he had what they call ksix 90 since 2002 Breakpoint was right all along...

serve/and/volley
04-29-2008, 10:36 PM
RF: I wasnít playing too well. I lost in the first round in Rome the week before against [Andrea] Gaudenzi 4 and 4. I just had changed rackets, changed strings ó the whole thing ó to actually what Iím playing today. So six years ago almost? Before that I played with Peteís [Wilson ProStaff] racket.

So he had what they call ksix 90 since 2002 Breakpoint was right all along...

Prostaff Tour 90, Ncode Tour 90, K-Factor Tour 90 ... all the same thing. Anyways what's with all this racquet fetishism? The strings are the most important aspect of the racquet.

Sentinel
04-29-2008, 11:00 PM
He has some positive things to say about Djoko too. Besides a lot of praise for Nadal.

IT: The tough-talking, tough-playing Novak Djokovic.
RF: Up-and-coming great player.

IT: And mental toughness? Thereíre a lot of tough players.
RF: It would have to be Rafa or Lleyton, as well as Djokovic, who is also very strong.

Nice interview, Thanks for posting.

helloworld
04-29-2008, 11:42 PM
????? So he thinks Sampras still has the best volley even at this age???

BreakPoint
04-29-2008, 11:56 PM
You don't lose your volleys with age. McEnroe at almost 50 still volleys as well as he did when he was 20. What you lose with age is foot speed. Some of the best volleyers at the recreational level are old geezers.

chlsmo
04-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Some of the best volleyers at the recreational level are old geezers.

Unfortunately I think this is true!

joeri888
04-30-2008, 02:32 AM
I think this is a great interview. You can say whatever you want about Federer, Tennis might have been not as exciting when it comes to matchups, but his play's been beautiful and he's a good person. Driven, motivated, nice, down to earth, and with respect for the other competitors.

I can understand people to dislike his title-winning runs, but not the person, not the guy..

OrangeOne
04-30-2008, 02:41 AM
I think this is a great interview. You can say whatever you want about Federer, Tennis might have been not as exciting when it comes to matchups, but his play's been beautiful and he's a good person. Driven, motivated, nice, down to earth, and with respect for the other competitors.

I can understand people to dislike his title-winning runs, but not the person, not the guy..

^^ Good post, saved me typing it.

zagor
04-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Great interview,thanks for posting it.

zagor
04-30-2008, 02:49 AM

Mcenroe won the doubles title in San Jose 2 years ago when he was something like 47 so he certainly still has amazing volleys.

my_forehand
04-30-2008, 02:52 AM
Nice find.

helloworld
04-30-2008, 03:03 AM
First Serve: Roddick or Karlovic

This coming from a player who owns Roddick's serve so badly. :lol:

TennezSport
04-30-2008, 05:06 AM
^^ Good post, saved me typing it.

Remember that people had the same issue with Sampras when he was dominating. He was "boring", "dull", "too quiet", etc.

TennezSport :cool:

vive le beau jeu !
04-30-2008, 09:45 AM
RF: (...) This is what we need to focus on and not little changes like that stupid round robin.
eat that, etienne !!! :D

Arafel
04-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Great interview. I like what he said about Andy Roddick:

"A guy whoís got the biggest serve in the game and is an unbelievable fighter."

sureshs
04-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Here is an interview with Federer with Inside Tennis (May '08 issue):
- http://www.insidetennis.com/0508_federer.html

See the text:

IT: Speaking of other players, let me go through some strokes and off the top of your head, tell me the player who has the best stuff out there. Letís start with the forehand.

RF: Iíd have to go with Rafa [Nadal], Fernando Gonzalez or James Blake. Those are the guys with bigger forehands.

IT: First serve?

RF: Youíve got to go with Andy [Roddick] or [Ivo] Karlovic.

IT: Backhand?

RF:[David] Nalbandian.

IT: Volley?

RF: Theyíre not so many around anymore, unfortunately.

IT: Unfortunately, really?

RF: Fortunately.

IT: You saw a few pretty good volleys the other night from Pete in Madison Square Garden.

RF: Yeah. He would be No. 1 if he were still playing.

Is he just talking about volleys or OVERALL? Huge implication depending on how you read it.

PROTENNIS63
04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Great interview. Just proves all the Fed bashers once again how nice of a guy Fed truly is.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
See the text:

Is he just talking about volleys or OVERALL? Huge implication depending on how you read it.

I think he's talking about volleys, not overall ranking because it would be a little far fetched to take it that far.

ubel
04-30-2008, 12:26 PM
RF: Iím confident for the next few years Iíll have a fair amount of chances to do well at the French. Itís a pity I couldnít win it yet, because I came so close a few times. But Rafa has just been supreme on clay. He has never lost at the French. Heís on 21-match winning streak, which is just outrageous. So I will give myself the best possible chance. I know Iíll do it one day, so itís a question of if itís this year or next.

hehe, that's confidence

Defcon
04-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Federer is one of the most articulate players I've ever seen, he reminds me of Agassi 2.0 a lot, in the way he thinks carefully before he answers, and gives a thoughtful response.

No it doesn't. There is thing called context, and if you read the whole thing, as you have posted, its crystal clear he's talking about volleys only.

This is exactly how quotes get taken out of context and mountains get constructed out of molehills.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-30-2008, 04:01 PM
RF: I’m confident for the next few years I’ll have a fair amount of chances to do well at the French. It’s a pity I couldn’t win it yet, because I came so close a few times. But Rafa has just been supreme on clay. He has never lost at the French. He’s on 21-match winning streak, which is just outrageous.

IT: You’ve done a great job over the years neutralizing the strongest, most imposing strokes, like Roddick’s serve or Agassi’s groundies. But is Rafa’s forehand, particularly on clay, the toughest stroke you’ve had to deal with?

RF: Look, I’m not sure if it’s just his forehand. Let’s say it’s more his movement than anything else. His forehand and backhand [it] seems are never going to break down really, especially on clay. I can’t see people talking about his backhand being a weakness. It’s amazing what kind of pace he can get off the backhand and how good his slice has become. People underestimate his game entirely. No, look, it’s good. [All] these guys have good stuff. We’ve seen Agassi’s groundies, and there’s always somebody new that comes up with something that challenges your game. [But with] Rafa, it’s his intense movement.

IT: Speaking of other players, let me go through some strokes and off the top of your head, tell me the player who has the best stuff out there. Let’s start with the forehand.

RF: I’d have to go with Rafa [Nadal], Fernando Gonzalez or James Blake. Those are the guys with bigger forehands.

IT: That guy who always seems to be lurking across the net from you — Rafa Nadal.

RF: My main rival.

See, this is what I like about Federer and why I don't bash him, like other Nadal fans. Even though I am a big fan of Nadal, Roger is right up there with my favorite tennis players. He just shows incredible respect for other tennis players.

EDIT: And all of the Federer fans who don't at least respect Nadal's game, look at how Federer praises it.

dh003i
05-01-2008, 08:32 AM
As a Fed fan, I don't see how you could bash Nadal's game without denigrating Federer as well; after all, he's been Fed's main rival, and his last 2 Wimbledons were over Nadal.

Look, if it wasn't for Federer, Nadal would probably have 2 back-to-back FO-Wimbledon's now. So that's pretty damn great. Nadal is unlucky in that sense to be playing in an era with one of the greatest grass-court players of all time (I mean really, top 5, along with Sampras, Borg, McEnroe, Laver, Gonzales). Likewise, in that respect, Fed's unlucky to be playing in the same era as one of the greatest clay-court players (along with Borg and Guga).

nikdom
05-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Awesome interview! I don't know how some people can hate on Roger. He has so much respect for his rivals, for the history of the sport and has such a great attitude on and off the court.

DarthMaul
05-02-2008, 03:46 PM
As a Fed fan, I don't see how you could bash Nadal's game without denigrating Federer as well; after all, he's been Fed's main rival, and his last 2 Wimbledons were over Nadal.

Look, if it wasn't for Federer, Nadal would probably have 2 back-to-back FO-Wimbledon's now. So that's pretty damn great. Nadal is unlucky in that sense to be playing in an era with one of the greatest grass-court players of all time (I mean really, top 5, along with Sampras, Borg, McEnroe, Laver, Gonzales). Likewise, in that respect, Fed's unlucky to be playing in the same era as one of the greatest clay-court players (along with Borg and Guga).

That's what makes today's tennis so exciting! They both are so great that it's hard to tell which one is better (I tend to keep Fed as my favourite tho)

Hot Sauce
05-02-2008, 04:16 PM
You don't lose your volleys with age. McEnroe at almost 50 still volleys as well as he did when he was 20. What you lose with age is foot speed. Some of the best volleyers at the recreational level are old geezers.

Losing foot speed can affect your volleys because you won't be able to get to the volleys that you could when you were younger. If you're not in the right position because your foot speed is lacking, the volleys will suffer.