PDA

View Full Version : Will a non-European win a slam in the next 5 years?

BigT
04-30-2008, 01:53 PM
It's been 4 years since Gaudio at the French, and unless Nalbandian gets hot at one, I don't see it.

deme08
04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Im rooting for Hewitt and Roddick still has a chance IMO.

gj011
04-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Only if Nalbandian manages to win one, or some new youngster comes from nowhere. Who knows who will be hot in 5 years?

Roddick and Hewitt will not win another one, also I don't think Blake has a chance. Who else is left? Gonzales, Monaco, Canas?

deme08
04-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Don't forget Davydenko. He could definitely do it if he stop choking in semis.

crash
04-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Don't forget Davydenko. He could definitely do it if he stop choking in semis.

Davydenko is european...

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Del Potro LOL

simi
04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Davydenko is european...

Is Volograd considered the European or Asian part of Russia? He was born in the Ukraine, so I guess he is European.

So, would that make Maria Sharapova an Asian? She does say that she was born (and raised for awhile) in Siberia?

gj011
04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Is Volograd considered the European or Asian part of Russia? He was born in the Ukraine, so I guess he is European.

So, would that make Maria Sharapova an Asian? She does say that she was born (and raised for awhile) in Siberia?

Volgograd is in Europe. Ural mountain and Ural river are the border of Europe and Asia, and Volgograd is west of Ural.

Anyway, in this context I consider all Russians to be European.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-30-2008, 02:25 PM

Oh no not that topic again! Must have been a thread 500 responses long back and forth argument LOL

edmondsm
04-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Nishikori has shown potential. I tend to think that Roddick will win another one before he's done.

Vision84
04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
I hate stand up with race jokes. Just not funny at all and just helps fuel negative stereotyping.

zagor
04-30-2008, 04:36 PM
I think both Nalbandian and Roddick have a chance to win a slam in the next few years.

fer
04-30-2008, 06:11 PM
It s difficult to imagine someone not named Federer, Nadal or Djokovic winning a Slam.

ScovilleJenkins
04-30-2008, 06:15 PM
DANCEVIC!!!!

p.s. hahahahahahaha

Morrissey
04-30-2008, 07:39 PM

Volgograd is in the European part of Russia, it used to be Stalingrad. He was born in Ukraine. All in Europe. As for Sharapova, Im not sure what it means.

jgreen06
04-30-2008, 07:43 PM
theres a decent chance nalbandian will win one

Hatari!
04-30-2008, 07:50 PM
On the men's side, no one but the Europeans will be winning for the next few years, unless Nalbandian can pull one out of his hat. One the women's side though, I think the Williamses still have at least one slam left in them.

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-30-2008, 08:00 PM
It's been 4 years since Gaudio at the French, and unless Nalbandian gets hot at one, I don't see it.

I don't see how Nalbandian can be the great non-European hope if he doesn't improve his conditioning. After losing to Federer in Monte Carlo, he said that he was tired in the second and third sets. How can he be expected to win 7 matches in a row in a best of 5 set format if he can't maintain form through 3 sets?

Shaolin
04-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Nalbo is due one soon but he needs to cut down on the Toblerone and switch to light beer also.

flyer
04-30-2008, 08:38 PM
The talent is definatley out there,

Question: Are we considering Scotland europe?

Tempest344
04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
scotland is part of europe yes

I would say if anyone non european did win a grand slam it would most likely be a North or South American

Morrissey
04-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Nalby is not winning a slam. Neither is Hewitt anymore. Roddick perhaps. And I hate the guy.

lambielspins
04-30-2008, 10:11 PM
I am not really sure between Nalbandian or Roddick which I give a better shot to win another slam (or in David's case just one slam). I thought about it and I keep changing my mind. Both for me are less then 50% but above 20% to win 1 slam from now until retirement. I wouldnt be at all surprised if neither do though. Hewitt has 0% chance. Nada. zip.

Younes
04-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Im rooting for Hewitt and Roddick still has a chance IMO.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Younes
04-30-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't see how Nalbandian can be the great non-European hope if he doesn't improve his conditioning. After losing to Federer in Monte Carlo, he said that he was tired in the second and third sets. How can he be expected to win 7 matches in a row in a best of 5 set format if he can't maintain form through 3 sets?

because if he gets as hot as he did last fall, he will never have to play more than 3 sets in a match

BallzofSkill
05-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Isn't Nalbandian European? I know he's from Argentina but that's like practically European in culture and people anyway because of the European migration back then.

Leublu tennis
05-01-2008, 12:37 AM

Volgograd is in Russia not Ukraine and, yes, its in Europe.

Leublu tennis
05-01-2008, 12:51 AM
If you want to learn about asians, learn from Russell Peters:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxbrXD0kgrQ

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtrAMK7_Qk

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wgKqOyIqQU
That first one was really funny and obviously not insulting for the specific races, as you saw them laugh right along with the jokes.

zagor
05-01-2008, 03:25 AM
I am not really sure between Nalbandian or Roddick which I give a better shot to win another slam (or in David's case just one slam). I thought about it and I keep changing my mind. Both for me are less then 50% but above 20% to win 1 slam from now until retirement. I wouldnt be at all surprised if neither do though. Hewitt has 0% chance. Nada. zip.

I would definitely give better chance to Roddick then Nalbandian.Roddick certainly has a chance at USO and probably at Wimbledon as well.

christos_liaskos
05-01-2008, 04:47 AM
I would definitely give better chance to Roddick then Nalbandian.Roddick certainly has a chance at USO and probably at Wimbledon as well.

Exactly, Nalbandian isnt winning one and thats a fact. He has as much chance as Safin in my opinion. Both are extremely talented but neither are capable of keeping it up for 5 sets over 7 matches for various reasons. Out of current players Roddick has the best chance.

Sentinel
05-01-2008, 04:48 AM
It s difficult to imagine someone not named Federer, Nadal or Djokovic winning a Slam.

hey wait, didn't Federer not say recently that he's south african, or he's not sure what he is ... SA or swiss (something to that effect).

In which case, the answer is Federer!

If we are looking at origin and not current nationality, then I could say Tsonga certainly has a chance.

gj011
05-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Isn't Nalbandian European? I know he's from Argentina but that's like practically European in culture and people anyway because of the European migration back then.

Nalbandian is of Armenian descent, and Armenia is actually in Asia. So either way he is not European.

el sergento
05-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Roddick stands the best chance. Nalby could put it together at the USO if he gets a couple of night matches and some easy early round victories.

Either that of Sharapova finally becomes an American.

Well then I guess McEnroe and Connors and Agassi and Sampras and even Ash and the William Sisters aren't really Americans because their ancestors migrated from somewhere else:???:

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Well then I guess McEnroe and Connors and Agassi and Sampras and even Ash and the William Sisters aren't really Americans because their ancestors migrated from somewhere else:???:

Migrated? Never heard it called that....when a certain peoples ancestors were brought as slaves to another country...speaking of the Williams.

thejuice
05-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Migrated? Never heard it called that....when a certain peoples ancestors were brought as slaves to another country...speaking of the Williams.

I totally agree!!!

Phil
05-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Nalbandian is of Armenian descent, and Armenia is actually in Asia. So either way he is not European.
By that logic, everyone in the USA other than Native Americans, is European or African or Asian (but not "Latino", 'cause they're, obviously, all European, African or aboriginal. No Americans left. Come to think of it, even the Native Americans are actually Asian.

Think a little bit about it, goofball...

el sergento
05-01-2008, 11:01 AM

and

I totally agree!!!

Oh boy! And you wonder why America can't move forward in terms of race relations. What, are both of you running for president??

My basic point is that the ancestors of those players, regardless of how they got there (because it's irrelevant to this discussion, obviously not in general), came from somewhere else but are still considered full blooded Americans. This was in response to someone erroneously saying that David Nalbandian was not a Latin American because Argentinians are (mostly) of European descent.

Thread devolves into a race flame in 3.....2.....1.......

DarkSephiroth
05-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I think the real point is, we don't know who will be around in 5 years. Federer ascended to the top within a matter of one year. Chances are, 5 years from now will be someone either unexpected or unknown to us at this current time.

gj011
05-01-2008, 11:13 AM
By that logic, everyone in the USA other than Native Americans, is European or African or Asian (but not "Latino", 'cause they're, obviously, all European, African or aboriginal. No Americans left. Come to think of it, even the Native Americans are actually Asian.

Think a little bit about it, goofball...

Wow. This guy is really something. :shock: No need to call names.

What logic? I was just answering tho the guy who asked about Nalbandian. Never claimed, not had any intention to claim, that any of the Argentinians or Americans or anybody else should be considered European or Asian or whatever, because of their ancestry.
I never said Nalbandian is Asian.

Think about it, before you start your usual little tirades.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-01-2008, 11:15 AM
and

Oh boy! And you wonder why America can't move forward in terms of race relations. What, are both of you running for president??

My basic point is that the ancestors of those players, regardless of how they got there (because it's irrelevant to this discussion, obviously not in general), came from somewhere else but are still considered full blooded Americans. This was in response to someone erroneously saying that David Nalbandian was not a Latin American because Argentinians are (mostly) of European descent.

Thread devolves into a race flame in 3.....2.....1.......

What an ignorant comment, and yours is the one to bring up race relations, etc. I am not American (of the immigrant or "brought over" type), nor live in America except at certain times of the year. I am half Native American however. I don't vote in USA elections, and wasn't born there so can't run for President even if I had the inclination. I was just pointing out that you should have been correct in what you said, and that wasn't it. I don't believe in racist attitudes or support of them by conversation either pro or against. So not from me does things go that way.

Don't get your nickers in a twist.

el sergento
05-01-2008, 11:24 AM
What an ignorant comment, and yours is the one to bring up race relations, etc. I am not American (of the immigrant or "brought over" type), nor live in America except at certain times of the year. I am half Native American however. I don't vote in USA elections, and wasn't born there so can't run for President even if I had the inclination. I was just pointing out that you need to be correct in what you say, and that wasn't it.

Don't get your nickers in a twist.

Dude, read your last post (quoted above) and think about who's nickers are twisted.

Maybe it's just me, but on a tennis discussion board I don't see the need to be so pedantic, especially when the subject has no bearing on the discussion at hand.

........Now back to our regular programing:

On the womens side one of the William sisters will most definitely win a Slam within the next 5 years. On the men's side, If Roddick or Nalby don't do it withing the next two years I'd have to say it's going to be all Europeans for the next 5 years at least.

Phil
05-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Wow. This guy is really something. :shock: No need to call names.

I was just answering tho the guy who asked about Nalbandian. Never claimed, not had any intention to claim, that any of the Argentinians or Americans or anybody else should be considered European or Asian or whatever, because of their ancestry.
I never said Nalbandian is Asian.

Think about it, before you start your usual little tirades.
That is certainly what you implied. Mine was hardly a tirade. Just setting you straight on your clueless comment. If you need any more help in determining who's what and from where, you know where to find me...

gj011
05-01-2008, 11:30 AM
That is certainly what you implied. Mine was hardly a tirade. Just setting you straight on your clueless comment. If you need any more help in determining who's what and from where, you know where to find me...

No you are wrong. I didn't imply that. Now go back to your little hole.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Dude, read your last post (quoted above) and think about who's nickers are twisted.

Maybe it's just me, but on a tennis discussion board I don't see the need to be so pedantic, especially when the subject has no bearing on the discussion at hand.

........Now back to our regular programing:

On the womens side one of the William sisters will most definitely win a Slam within the next 5 years. On the men's side, If Roddick or Nalby don't do it withing the next two years I'd have to say it's going to be all Europeans for the next 5 years at least.

I don't wear nickers thanks :-) But I do believe in being respectful and truthful about such things no matter where one is. And what you said was incorrect bottom line. You need to reread further your post, because you were the one which started any of talk of race relations and totally over the top unnecessary comment about America. I made a simple comment after a polite question. It was 2nd'ed. You need to let it go. Beendet as far as I'm concerned. :)

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-01-2008, 11:37 AM
On the women's side almost literally it could be anyone coming up within the timeframe, and it feels like there are going to be quite a bit of turn over on the women's tour soon as some key players will literally retire in 5 years or so.

I'm rooting for a Tahitian islander to come out of no where and win one.

Lefty5
05-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I like that Kevin Anderson guy to possibly pull out a GS maybe next year.

Phil
05-01-2008, 11:43 AM
No you are wrong. I didn't imply that. Now go back to your little hole.
No, I'm correct. Pssst...Since you don't know by now-Nalby is an ARGENTINE.

gj011
05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
No, I'm correct. Pssst...Since you don't know by now-Nalby is an ARGENTINE.

Whatever. If it makes you happy to bash people for no reason here, be my guest.

scineram
05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I love this forum.

gj011
05-02-2008, 10:52 AM
I love this forum.

Me too. :)