PDA

View Full Version : Quick tension loss and string breakage in LM Radicals Midplus

AndrewD
01-11-2005, 05:55 AM
Just played five good sets of doubles with a local coach and two decent quality players all of who use LM Radicals, midplus version. As I'm trying to decide on a racquet to buy the coach loaned me one of his so it ended up that all four of us were using the same model frame. During the course of the match 3 of us broke strings and for the rest of the night, even though I was conscious of not putting quite so much top on my shots, especially the forehand, I noticed the strings in my racquet were moving all over the place and after about 5 games the tension drop in the new frame was incredibly noticeable. However much it was I found it damn hard to control the LM especially at net (nice for the serve but useless if you have to underplay your volleys).

The frames I used were all strung at around 60lbs which is still under the max tension for the LM but still on the tightish side so I see how that could be the cause. However, I almost never break strings and the string movement and tension loss is something I have never experienced either my Dunlop 200G (old Mac & Graf version), old Head Prestige Pro (two smaller headed frames) or the Prince Precision Mono (97sq head) I've been playing with of late.

Is all of that purely coincidental, is it something common with the LM Rad mp or is it merely par for the course with more modern racquets (as opposed to the 'old school' ones Ive been using)? We were playing on hardcourts so no chance of dirt or red brick playing a part.

Gaines Hillix
01-11-2005, 11:05 AM
This frame has an 18X20 pattern, so it should have less string movement and breakage than other frames with a more open pattern(fewer strings). However, having no idea what string type was in those frames it's hard to guess what was going on.

AndrewD
01-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks Gaines.

Sorry I forgot to mention the stringing pattern and, unfortunately, I don't know exactly what type of string it was except that it was definately a synthetic. I assume that, as the coach is sponsored by Head, the strings would also be Head. Having a quick look at the ones available on the TW site (and I can only go by the look of them, sorry) my guess is that it was either Head Synth Gut 16g or Head IntelliTour16 and if my assumption is correct it'd more likely be the latter.

Like I said, Ive had strings move around on me like that so was curious - not to mention 3 of 4 on the court having them break in the same model racquet.

moosryan
01-11-2005, 03:29 PM
takes me around 7 hours to break duraflex 16 with mine

AndrewD
01-11-2005, 03:45 PM
but, moosryan, is that down to the way you play or some idiosyncrasy of the racquet?

Only curious about this as Ive seen other posts that mention frames which are, apparently, notorious for breaking strings very easily.