PDA

View Full Version : When Nadal wins this years FO....

caulcano
05-01-2008, 04:19 AM
Borg was present when Federer matched his 5 consecutive Wimbledon titles last year. This year, when Nadal matches Borg's 4 consecutive FO titles (which I think he will), will Borg be present? I hope Borg does.

Serpententacle
05-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Man, I'm a fan of Nadal, but don't you think by saying what you say, it's a bit premature?

Bobble
05-01-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm sure if he takes the title, Borg will be there. If he wasn't it would almost be offensive seeing as he was there at wimby for Federer.

NamRanger
05-01-2008, 06:33 AM
You officially jinxed Nadal.

dh003i
05-01-2008, 06:40 AM
I'm sure he'd be there.

He'll probably be there this year when Fed wins Wimbledon too.

zagor
05-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Gettin a little ahead of yourself? Nadal's the big favourite for the FO for sure but upsets happen in tennis so we'll see.

caulcano
05-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Fair enough. How about this....

Do you think Borg will be present at this year's FO to see if Nadal can match his record?

Serpententacle
05-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Fair enough. How about this....

Do you think Borg will be present at this year's FO to see if Nadal can match his record?

I think he would.... IF.... :)

thejuice
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Interesting though, does anyone else not think Rafa will in fact win.

Morrissey
05-01-2008, 08:50 AM

I think it´s gonna take more than that to not have him win big titles on clay. And how is it different from the predictions everyone make in here? Some guy has as his signature that ¨Fed will win the French Open 2008¨. So if Nadal and Fed are jinxed who´s gonna take it then? PS: people have also predicted that Davydenko and Djokovic would win too.

Moose Malloy
05-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Borg's streak at Wimbledon was much bigger deal than his winning 4 straight at the FO. Many tennis writers at the time were calling it the biggest achievement in tennis history. So him being there last year was sort of understandable.

times have changed, so FO records are now more well publicized, but is there really that big a demand for Borg to be at the FO this year like there was for him to be at Wimbledon last year? Maybe if Nadal is going for his 7th FO title overall or something, but not this.

Borg is not exactly a big tennis fan(like Sampras) he shouldn't be expected to drop everything & act like some cheerleader to todays champions. It's not a 'slight' if those guys aren't attending majors, they have lives you know, getting on a plane to go watch some tennis may not be exactly their idea of fun.

And there are plenty of other great former players who seem to attend every major, because they just like tennis a lot(Vilas, Nastase, etc)

PROTENNIS63
05-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Borg was present when Federer matched his 5 consecutive Wimbledon titles last year. This year, when Nadal matches Borg's 4 consecutive FO titles (which I think he will), will Borg be present? I hope Borg does.

We'll know within a month.

obanaghan
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately for Rafa all things must end. While it seems unlikely that he might get a bad draw, a bad back or be on the wrong side of a smack down. I find it more likely that he will lose this year.

jackson vile
05-01-2008, 12:37 PM

You would be right, but Nadal does not win by luck. He wins against all odds.

When Nadal wins 6 FO's he becomes the GOD of CLAY!

edmondsm
05-01-2008, 01:07 PM
If they pay Borg well, he will be there.

Ultra2HolyGrail
05-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I dont know why people compare borg to nadal, except for borg was the nadal in his era, Nadal would punish borg at his best on clay. Sort of like comparing Mcenroe to Federer or Sampras.

Nadal_Freak
05-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately for Rafa all things must end. While it seems unlikely that he might get a bad draw, a bad back or be on the wrong side of a smack down. I find it more likely that he will lose this year.
LOL don't think so. Keep wishing though. Maybe someday it will come true.

NamRanger
05-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I think it´s gonna take more than that to not have him win big titles on clay. And how is it different from the predictions everyone make in here? Some guy has as his signature that ¨Fed will win the French Open 2008¨. So if Nadal and Fed are jinxed who´s gonna take it then? PS: people have also predicted that Davydenko and Djokovic would win too.

Tennis Warehouse jinx are not to be taken lightly!

Vision84
05-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Tennis Warehouse jinx are not to be taken lightly!

Often when a player posts a poll in the match discussion section with one player who has yet to win their previous round they end up losing.

With that said Nadal has a much greater chance of winning the open than any other player on the tour and is the clear favorite. However anything can happen on any given day and I wouldn't take players like Federer lightly.

edmondsm
05-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I dont know why people compare borg to nadal, except for borg was the nadal in his era, Nadal would punish borg at his best on clay. Sort of like comparing Mcenroe to Federer or Sampras.

Borg was the Nadal of his era except Borg had like twice as many GS titles as Nadal. Nadal might beat Borg on clay, except there is no way to substantiate that given they played in different eras. Nadal vs. Borg is kind of like Sampras vs. McEnroe except the analogy is completely backwards. Other then that your statement is spot on.:confused:

drakulie
05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
If Borg is there to present Nadal the trophy, but Nadal loses>>>>> then will he still present it to the winner?? or will he then present the runner-up trophy to Nadal??

Nadal_Monfils
05-01-2008, 06:05 PM
^^ That's a moot point because Nadal does not lose finals.

Nadal_Freak
05-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Good point. If Nadal does lose at RG, I think it will be to a player with a two-handed backhand.

drakulie
05-01-2008, 06:20 PM

Then how do you explain his two losses at Wimbledon??

CyBorg
05-01-2008, 06:30 PM
If Borg is there to present Nadal the trophy, but Nadal loses>>>>> then will he still present it to the winner?? or will he then present the runner-up trophy to Nadal??

He'd present Nadal with the runner-up trophy with a big smile on his face.