PDA

View Full Version : It's a miracle, I can see the ball on clay!!

el sergento
05-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I couldn't see anything at Monte-Carlo, which I watched both online via AMS tv and also on regular television. And yet when I watch the highlights of Barcelona up on the ATP's (http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/home/) website I can see the ball and the lines clearly, this despite the crappy low bandwidth video.

How can a MS tournament like MC have such horrendous TV coverage, both in terms of picture quality and camera angles when it seems like such a trivial task to make the ball visible?? I really hope Rome is better.

dunlop kid
05-02-2008, 03:36 AM
I totally agree i couldnt see anything unless it was a replay

A.Davidson
05-02-2008, 04:01 AM
Whoa. Yep, you're right, I'm checking the highlights right now.

Much better, ATP!

cknobman
05-02-2008, 05:26 AM
How can a MS tournament like MC have such horrendous TV coverage, both in terms of picture quality and camera angles when it seems like such a trivial task to make the ball visible??

Very simple answer.

Because TTC is doing the coverage and they have NEVER had good picture quality at any event.

el sergento
05-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Very simple answer.

Because TTC is doing the coverage and they have NEVER had good picture quality at any event.

But I didn't watch it on TTC, I watched it on AMS tv and on TSN (in Canada) that just used the AMS feed. Are you saying that TTC had exclusive rights and sold the rights to whoever else wanted to show any matches??

Nole_Destroyer
05-02-2008, 07:40 AM
And last year in MC was same.This tournament is big piece of s*it,nothing more and nothing less.MC doesn't deserve to be AMS.And if you ask me switching Barcelona and MC will be very,very good decision.

Shaolin
05-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Monte Carlo has never had good picture quality or a decent angle. It looks like its shot from a blimp using a camera phone.

dbh1960
05-02-2008, 08:34 AM
The US Claycourt Championships in Houston was on a type of clay that wasn't quite as red as the European style, but still, the ball was very easy to see and follow. I wish everyone who denigrates the TTC broadcasts could have seen this one in HD. I wish they'd shown some of the early rounds, even though the draw could be rated as Challenger +, because the image quality was so terrific. It's the ATP that needs to improve the quality of its television product, especially in Europe...

JRstriker12
05-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Very simple answer.

Blame the problems in picture quality on the ATP....

http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=128006
The Tennis Channel received complaints from viewers and wasn’t happy with the images it received from what’s known as the “world feed” (the ATP’s television arm, not the Tennis Channel, produced the coverage and delivered it to broadcasting partners). Folks at Tennis Channel said the problem wasn’t caused by the production crew, which, they said, was an experienced and talented one, but by the infrastructure of the Monte Carlo event. The court is near the water and bathed in sunlight. The cameras are placed higher than Tennis Channel would like (the angle tends to flatten the ball). And since the signal is delivered in a European format, Tennis Channel must convert it to the U.S. standard (which can affect image quality). A power outage also interrupted the broadcast during the week, causing Tennis Channel to cut to other programming for about 15 minutes.

el sergento
05-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Blame the problems in picture quality on the ATP....

http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=128006
The Tennis Channel received complaints from viewers and wasn’t happy with the images it received from what’s known as the “world feed” (the ATP’s television arm, not the Tennis Channel, produced the coverage and delivered it to broadcasting partners). Folks at Tennis Channel said the problem wasn’t caused by the production crew, which, they said, was an experienced and talented one, but by the infrastructure of the Monte Carlo event. The court is near the water and bathed in sunlight. The cameras are placed higher than Tennis Channel would like (the angle tends to flatten the ball). And since the signal is delivered in a European format, Tennis Channel must convert it to the U.S. standard (which can affect image quality). A power outage also interrupted the broadcast during the week, causing Tennis Channel to cut to other programming for about 15 minutes.

Wow, we can clone sheep and walk on the moon but the ATP can't figure out how to broadcast properly from Monte-Carlo, one of the richest places on earth.:???:

Klatu Verata Necktie
05-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Monte Carlo has never had good picture quality or a decent angle. It looks like its shot from a blimp using a camera phone.

funny post. Great visual ;)