PDA

View Full Version : What should Maria Sharapova do?

laurie
05-03-2008, 06:07 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7381548.stm

http://www.mariasharapova.com/defaultflash.sps

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/337120

Page last updated at 22:12 GMT, Friday, 2 May 2008 23:12 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Sharapova fury at publicity shoot

Sharapova is seeded fifth for the Rome tournament

Maria Sharapova has launched a stinging attack on the governing body of women's tennis over their publicity demands.

The world number three says the WTA is "forcing" her to do a publicity shoot in Rome, ahead of the Italian Open, after flying in from Los Angeles.

"The WTA is telling me if I don't do this shoot they will fine me over US$300,000," said the Russian.

In a statement the WTA insisted, "what is being asked of players in Rome is in the rules."

The tournament begins on 12 May and features a host of leading players, including Justine Henin, Ana Ivanovic, Serena and Venus Williams.

"I want all my fans to know that the WTA Tour is forcing me and several of the other top players to do a four-hour commercial shoot for WTA Tour marketing materials," Sharapova told her website.

606: DEBATE
Is Sharapova right to be angry or should she do the publicity shoot?

"They want me to do this shoot on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday of the Rome tournament after flying 12 hours from LA.

"I have set my own personal rules when it comes to doing shoots and I never do shoots before tournaments because they are mentally draining and I want to just focus on my tennis.

"Now the WTA is telling me if I don't do this shoot they will fine me over US$300,000. As you can see the WTA Tour loves to fine players.

"To be honest, I would love to do this and help promote the tour as much as possible, but to force me to do this shoot the day before a Tier I tournament is just not right."

The WTA insisted players were aware of their obligations.

"Players have many obligations both on and off the court, and what is being asked of players in Rome is in the rules," a spokesman said.

Sharapova is running a poll on her website asking the question, "What Should Maria Do?"

joeri888
05-03-2008, 06:10 AM
What should Maria Sharapova do?

Retire ? ;)

goforgold99
05-03-2008, 06:14 AM
She should do a shoot for the playboy

Topaz
05-03-2008, 06:18 AM
I voted for not doing the shoot and taking legal action, though I had a tough time deciding between that and 'not doing the shoot and taking the fine.' Seriously, 300,000 is a lot of money, but to her probably a drop in the bucket.

I also thought the idea of a boycott was appealing.

Masha has a good point...this is a Tier I, and the players shouldn't be doing these shoots right before play. Though, if it is already in the rules when the players agree, maybe they just need to open a dialogue with the WTA to change this, rather than complain about it after they've agreed to it.

She's in a tough place, but again...she can afford to take the fine. It isn't like she is without options. Maybe she can lead the pros in an effort to get this changed.

tennisfan_23
05-03-2008, 06:23 AM
The fact that Sharapova, considered one of the most beautiful women in the sport of tennis, is speaking out about not wanting to do a publicity shoot to focus on her tennis is an indication that the WTA requirement is quite outrageous. I say she gets into contact with the other players and boycott the thing.

Mister G
05-03-2008, 06:24 AM
Why is she complaining about the hand that is feeding her? It's all the publicity/exposure the WTA gets (and herself for that matter) that earns her the money in the first place. Perhaps now that she has earned her millions, she doesn't really care for more exposure anymore? If she were a newcomer to the WTA scene... different story altogether...

Topaz
05-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Why is she complaining about the hand that is feeding her? It's all the publicity/exposure the WTA gets (and herself for that matter) that earns her the money in the first place. Perhaps now that she has earned her millions, she doesn't really care for more exposure anymore? If she were a newcomer to the WTA scene... different story altogether...

There's a time and place for it. Maria has always scheduled her photo shoots carefully around her playing schedule. She is, after all, first and foremost a tennis player. These players are athletes, not models, and right before a major tournament is *not* the time to be doing a photo shoot.

SempreSami
05-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Quit complaining and get on with it, and find a less annoying way of squealing "C'MON!" when her opponent hits an unforced error.

CyBorg
05-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Are men also subjected to stuff like this?

If not, she has a point.

Thrasher
05-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Time to break out the violin for another whiner. Yeha it's a real tough life making all those millions. I'm sure many people can identify with someone that is full of themselves.

CEvertFan
05-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Assuming that it's to market and promote women's tennis then yes she should do the photo shoot. If it's in the rules as the WTA says, then Sharapova had to have already been aware of that considering all the photo shoots she does.

Too many players ignore their responsibilities to promote their sport, tennis in particular. Without their sport they wouldn't be making the millions of dollars that they do and they shouldn't ***** about it when they're asked to give something back to their sport.

christo
05-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Send her and that oaf she has for a father, back to Siberia. She can hit snowballs instead of tennis balls

TheTruth
05-03-2008, 01:06 PM
She should have known what was required of her. Do the shoot, quietly, and if you have a problem with it take it up privately. She is not being held to a different standard than the others pros. I don't see the problem!

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Just do the damn shoot and shut her trap. :mad:

Mister G
05-03-2008, 02:34 PM
@ last four posts:

Exactly.

Assuming that it's to market and promote women's tennis then yes she should do the photo shoot. If it's in the rules as the WTA says, then Sharapova had to have already been aware of that considering all the photo shoots she does.

Too many players ignore their responsibilities to promote their sport, tennis in particular. Without their sport they wouldn't be making the millions of dollars that they do and they shouldn't ***** about it when they're asked to give something back to their sport.

Agreed. Without the publicity and thus popularity of the WTA, I doubt that the winnings (men vs women) will be the same now would it? Like I said, biting the hand that feeds her. If you're an influential member of any sport, you will be required to do just that bit extra for your sport and what it has given to you.

christo
05-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Send her and that oaf she has for a father, back to Siberia. She can hit snowballs instead of tennis balls

Vision84
05-03-2008, 06:23 PM
"I have set my own personal rules when it comes to doing shoots and I never do shoots before tournaments because they are mentally draining and I want to just focus on my tennis."

How is it mentally draining? All you do is dress up and smile for the camera.

danb
05-03-2008, 06:46 PM
"I have set my own personal rules when it comes to doing shoots and I never do shoots before tournaments because they are mentally draining and I want to just focus on my tennis."

It all depends on your IQ. She will have to read the teleprompter for 4 hours. That's probably way more than she normally reads in a month.

Fedexeon
05-03-2008, 07:30 PM
I don't get it. She played Charleston and lost in the quarterfinals.. and now she has already rested for 2 weeks yet she can't play in Berlin?

And if its Nike which ask her to shoot for a commercial, i bet she will just agree to do it.

CyBorg
05-03-2008, 07:49 PM

Ahaha.

I bet it's not 'mentally' draining.

HyperHorse
05-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey i voted she should organise a boycott.
4 hrs is ridiculous...
I mean it's right that the WTA should do some kind of advertising and market the players, but a 4hr shoot before a major tournament just reeks of dictatorship.
Sounds like the WTA are too lazy to organise shorter photo shoots that fit around a tournament schedule.
Need i remind you people, pro players need to eat and take it easy b4 they play..
As tennis players you all should understand they have their own mental preparation rituals and a 4hr shoot b4 a tournament is just ridiculous and unworkable.
:evil::evil::evil::evil:

Mick
05-03-2008, 08:18 PM
she should pay the fine and skip the promo.
$300k is nothing to a woman who makes more than $50 million a year (prize money + endorsements)

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-03-2008, 08:23 PM
she should pay the fine and skip the promo.
$300k is nothing to a woman who makes more than $50 million a year (prize money + endorsements)

If that's the case in terms of her income, would she be able to write off the $300,000 on her taxes next year? :confused:

Mick
05-03-2008, 08:24 PM
If that's the case in terms of her income, would she be able to write off the $300,000 on her taxes next year? :confused:

a person with that much income must have a number of clever accountants to take care of simple things like this :)

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-03-2008, 08:27 PM
^^^^

I take back my post about her shutting up and just doing the shoot. **** the shoot and take the fine. I wonder if I was that rich, would I be complaining about a problem that can be solved with just $300,000, which she probably earns for every grunt. :twisted:

Mick
05-03-2008, 08:31 PM
^^^^

I take back my post about her shutting up and just doing the shoot. **** the shoot and take the fine. I wonder if I was that rich, would I be complaining about a problem that can be solved with just $300,000, which she probably earns for every grunt. :twisted:

I remembered incorrectly.

Sharapova makes about $25 million a year.

$300k is 1.2% of her annual income.

http://tennisinfoblog.com/maria-sharapova-russias-richest-athlete

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-03-2008, 08:35 PM
I remembered incorrectly.

Sharapova makes about $25 million a year.

$300k is 1.2% of her annual income.

http://tennisinfoblog.com/maria-sharapova-russias-richest-athlete

Sucks to be her and having 1.2% to be a mere $300,000. I acutually knew the amount and I also know she and Serena Williams are the highest paid female athletes, must be nice. :)

Poor Maria.

Mick
05-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Sucks to be her and having 1.2% to be a mere $300,000. I acutually knew the amount and I also know she and Serena Williams are the highest paid athletes, must be nice. :)

Poor Maria.

it sucks to be her when she is not winning because mr. Sharapov is not as understanding as mr. Williams. I forgot which tournament it was but mr. Sharapov walked out when she lost a match. he's a very poor sports.

ripper9100
05-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Ahaha.

I bet it's not 'mentally' draining.

I'm not a big Maria fan but she has a point. How do you guys know it's not draining? Have any of you ever taken part in a photoshoot? Like someone already said she usually schedules these photoshoots carefully around her schedule to avoid these offcourt distractions. Besides 300,000 is a ridiculous fine for missing a photoshoot even if she does make 25 million.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm not a big Maria fan but she has a point. How do you guys know it's not draining? Have any of you ever taken part in a photoshoot? Like someone already said she usually schedules these photoshoots carefully around her schedule to avoid these offcourt distractions. Besides 300,000 is a ridiculous fine for missing a photoshoot even if she does make 25 million.

Screw that, let this had been a Venus or Serena Williams. A lot of you guys would have the dumb threads running; " Oh, their just having the excuse ready in case they lose."

I tell you, the double standard runs pretty thin on this board. I also bet she isn't the only big name doing this shoot, and some of the others are playing in Berlin this coming week. :roll:

So what makes her so special? The bangs?

PS: Ripper9100, this wasnt towards you, I just happened to quote your post.

scineram
05-04-2008, 04:46 AM
Are men also subjected to stuff like this?

If not, she has a point.

Relevance?

gj011
05-04-2008, 04:54 AM
If this is one day couple hours shoot I would say she should just do it. But if it is three days in a row 4-5 hours shoots each, just before the tournament, then she has a very valid point.

CyBorg
05-04-2008, 02:01 PM

No, I agree with Maria on this one.

I was just amused by the part about this being 'mentally' draining. Maria should be careful to not over-intellectually stimulate herself.

CyBorg
05-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Relevance?

Inequality?

I realize that the women's sport is popular largely because of looks rather than skills. However the WTA consistently pretends that the women's game sells because of the skills.

The ladies aren't in this to be models. They're athletes.

laurie
05-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Inequality?

I realize that the women's sport is popular largely because of looks rather than skills. However the WTA consistently pretends that the women's game sells because of the skills.

The ladies aren't in this to be models. They're athletes.

A very interesting observation - the WTA tour want the best of both worlds, they would look for what they consider to be the best looking players to do the photoshoots - at the same time, these players must be famous enough to be in the public eye.

There are some very good looking players ranked outside of the top 10 but these girls won't be considered for photoshoots i'm sure.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Sorana Cirstea * new talent* , Marta Domachowska, Maria Kirilenko comes to mind, but as I said there are a few other top player that are playing in Berlin this week, and they are probably taking part in the shoot along with the most important Sharapova.

laurie
05-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Sorana Cirstea * new talent* , Marta Domachowska, Maria Kirilenko comes to mind, but as I said there are a few other top player that are playing in Hamburg this week, and they are probably taking part in the shoot along with the most important Sharapova.

just to clarify they are playing in Berlin.

CEvertFan
05-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Did no one think that the reason the WTA imposes a fine for not doing the promotional photo shoots is because if they didn't no one would show up to do it?

I should think the women would want to help promote their own tour but from the size of the fine it seems as if they don't unless they're pushed to do it.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-04-2008, 03:36 PM
just to clarify they are playing in Berlin.

Thanks you very much, it has been changed.

scineram
05-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Inequality?

How is it relevant that men and women are unequal?

CyBorg
05-04-2008, 05:34 PM
How is it relevant that men and women are unequal?

It's this kind of scenario. You have men and women workers. Both genders perform jobs that are comparable and are defined under a common name (tennis players).

Both genders have similar responsibilities. Share a similar schedule (major-level tournaments, masters-level tournaments).

All have travel and media-related responsibilities. Now both genders also get comparable pay for supposedly comparable work.

But all of a sudden is the issue of publicity photos, wherein the women (or some of them) have to pose for four hours on a given day before a tournament. They are not given a choice.

I raise the question as to whether the men are subjected to the same thing. If they are not, this becomes a potential union-related issue and the players affected have a reason to be displeased.

Equality is important because it has been the operative issue for years now culminating with debates about equal pay which were supposedly resolved with Wimbledon caving in to pay both genders equally.

mrDamien
05-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Sharapova should not do the shooting. Best way to take legal action.

mrDamien
05-04-2008, 06:07 PM
^^^^

Just shut up there.

Babb
05-04-2008, 06:10 PM
I voted to boycott the shoot.

I strongly disagree with anyone who says that she should just get over it. She needs to stand up for herself.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Just shut up there.

You know it's true. :lol:

mrDamien
05-04-2008, 06:19 PM
You know it's true. :lol:

Just stop condemn her. She not that bad on/off court. You know she such a true champion and could easily F*** off those Williams sisters.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Just stop condemn her. She not that bad on/off court. You know she such a true champion and could easily F*** off those Williams sisters.

Don't go there with the Williams sisters, but Sharapova has a choice to make.

Also, I hope you know the French Open is soon upon us, and we can make some more bets in about 3 weeks.

mrDamien
05-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Don't go there with the Williams sisters, but Sharapova has a choice to make.

Also, I hope you know the French Open is soon upon us, and we can make some more bets in about 3 weeks.

Yeah Sharapova should stand her own. And all of us just shut up and see what happen next. By the way not just Sharapova able to grunt but the Williams sisters too even much more louder and irritating at all.

FO is coming okay let's grunt, let's bet.

superman1
05-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Men aren't doing these shoots, so it's not fair.

Then again, the men aren't making millions of dollars of endorsement money based on their looks. Something tells me they wouldn't mind a few photoshoots if it meant a new mansion.

princess bossass
05-05-2008, 12:57 AM
I think Sharapova's point is not so much that the WTA is out of line by daring to make demands on the players' time; rather it's the timing of the demand (right before the tournament starts) that is the problem.

Not sure I understand the situation clearly enough to have a strong opinion what Sharapova or any other players with similar sentiments should do. How important is it that a player keep on good terms with the WTA? Well, I guess in Sharapova's case, that ship has already sailed. Maybe next time they won't be so quick to forgive and forget (then bury the story about) her father's throat-slitting gestures.

Salsa_Lover
05-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Retire ? ;)

+1

She should just shut up and do the shoot.

The girl is making millions out of the WTA tour events. What has she to complain about if the WTA needs to use the image of the top players to promote and get then sponsorhips and business that will end paying them when they win or play on the events ?

I think she simply has a superstar-celebrity complex.

BallzofSkill
05-05-2008, 01:35 AM
why would men do shoots? If men were selling sex i'm sure there would be some policy for them to do the shoot as well.

baek57
05-05-2008, 02:43 AM
she should do the shoot. she gets paid for her image, not her tennis abilities.

rob61
05-05-2008, 04:13 AM
She makes well over 10 million per year for her "endorsements". She always shows up for those shoots.

She is ****ed that she has to do a 4 hr shoot for the WTA which doesn't pay her 10 million... she has to WIN to get paid for those matches, which she is doing less and less.

She is a spoiled, prissy brat. She either wants 10 million or she doesn't want to do it, even for the sport that made her "famous".

She is the least liked tennis player on the women's circuit, not because of her game, but because of her spoiled brat attitude. The game of tennis has given her way too much.

I will be happy when she retires. When I'm at a tournament and she is scheduled, its time for lunch, dinner, the side courts, whatever. I don't like her game, her whinning, her screaching, or her attitude.

Leublu tennis
05-05-2008, 04:41 AM

Why don't you post this a few more times? A real intelligent comment.

Leublu tennis
05-05-2008, 04:42 AM
She makes well over 10 million per year for her "endorsements". She always shows up for those shoots.

She is ****ed that she has to do a 4 hr shoot for the WTA which doesn't pay her 10 million... she has to WIN to get paid for those matches, which she is doing less and less.

She is a spoiled, prissy brat. She either wants 10 million or she doesn't want to do it, even for the sport that made her "famous".

She is the least liked tennis player on the women's circuit, not because of her game, but because of her spoiled brat attitude. The game of tennis has given her way too much.

I will be happy when she retires. When I'm at a tournament and she is scheduled, its time for lunch, dinner, the side courts, whatever. I don't like her game, her whinning, her screaching, or her attitude.
You must love the Williams sisters.

CyBorg
05-05-2008, 05:55 AM
The hate is really over-the-top. Some people I think just plain don't like women. Whenever a woman goes Kurt Flood on people that must mean that she's a ***** who should get what's coming to her.

Sharapova has a point. What I don't like very much is the she puts things into words. For example, if you look at her website it becomes apparent in light of this issue. If she had written up a nice coherent letter expanding upon the ethical issues involved I think more people would be a touch more sympathetic. At the same time her lack of grace in this regard doesn't change the fact that she deserves some respect for standing up for herself. And, after all, shouldn't we be judging this by the heart of the matter as opposed to the effectiveness of the PR clouding the matter? Would we like Maria more if she was a smooth talker, like a bald-faced politician? The answer is of course we would, because we like joyful dishonesty.

And, for the record, Maria is having a great year. Three tournament wins already.

princess bossass
05-05-2008, 05:56 AM

Read up before writing long rants. She's been winning here and there this season. And her protest has nothing to do with money. Short version of my advice: read; think; THEN post. Consider those semicolons to be long pauses for additional "thinkytime."

sillymonkey
05-05-2008, 07:06 AM
She should just do it.
It's so typical...when she was an up and comer, she would have been thrilled at the opportunity, now that she's a star, she can't be bothered.

heftylefty
05-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Wow...Having to do a photo shoot before a tourny in Rome must be tough.

Maria would make a lousy lawyer, because she makes a very weak case for herself.

I'm pretty sure she's not sitting in coach for her 12hr flight. Also she is the most exposed athlete on the planet and her whinny is a pain.

scineram
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Anything you wanted to know about the issue. (http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=128360)