PDA

View Full Version : Sampras should retire!

BreakPoint
05-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Man, Pete Sampras just lost to a guy that's about to turn 50 years old!

Sampras should definitely retire! He's probably better off playing golf. ;)

(BTW, that old geezer he lost to yesterday happens to be named John McEnroe.) :)

TennisandMusic
05-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Man, Pete Sampras just lost to a guy that's about to turn 50 years old!

Sampras should definitely retire! He's probably better off playing golf. ;)

(BTW, that old geezer he lost to yesterday happens to be named John McEnroe.) :)

Really? I wonder if he let him have it. Wouldn't that be the first time ever for John?

BreakPoint
05-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Ooops......Sampras already IS retired.

Then he should retire again just to make sure. :mrgreen:

stormholloway
05-03-2008, 12:47 PM
That's a good win for McEnroe. I can't believe he's never won a title on the Champions tour.

Moose Malloy
05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Mac beat Courier the day before. He's in the final vs Krickstein(who beat Ferreira earlier in the week), this may be his last, best chance to win an Champions title. Apparently the surface is quite fast in Boston.

BreakPoint
05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
That's a good win for McEnroe. I can't believe he's never won a title on the Champions tour.
I saw Todd Martin kick McEnroe's butt in the final of the last Champion's Tour senior event, and Sampras always kicks Martin's butt.

I guess after having played Federer so many times now, Sampras is no longer comfortable playing against a serve and volleyer? Good serve and volleyers have always given Sampras more trouble anyway (e.g., Edberg, Krajicek, Becker, Ivanisevic, Rafter, Philippoussis, etc.)

BreakPoint
05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Mac beat Courier the day before. He's in the final vs Krickstein(who beat Ferreira), this may be his last chance to win an Champions title.
Hmmm....maybe the other players are letting him win to send him off to the retirement home with a win finally, since this is McEnroe's last year on the senior's tour?

Chadwixx
05-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I saw Todd Martin kick McEnroe's butt in the final of the last Champion's Tour senior event, and Sampras always kicks Martin's butt.

I guess after having played Federer so many times now, Sampras is no longer comfortable playing against a serve and volleyer? Good serve and volleyers have always given Sampras more trouble anyway (e.g., Edberg, Krajicek, Becker, Ivanisevic, Rafter, Philippoussis, etc.)

That or mac tried and fed didnt?

Gonna be looking for this one on torrents, hope someone ul's.

Moose Malloy
05-03-2008, 12:59 PM
since this is McEnroe's last year on the senior's tour?

He clarified that earlier in the year - he will still be playing next year, just less events(& none on clay)

maybe the other players are letting him win

Not a chance, maybe if he was a nice guy...but he isn't.

Even Todd Martin got into it with Mac oncourt a while back.

But:

Sampras received on-court treatment, too, before the tiebreaker, for a sore back that he said he tweaked a few weeks ago playing basketball

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/tennis/articles/2008/05/03/mcenroe_finally_beats_sampras/

ClubHoUno
05-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Mac wants this one badly.

No embarrassment in Sampras losing to the greatest serve and volleyer of the 80's.

I'm a HUGE Sampras fan - also love FED - but Macenroe is a true legend on his own, and I don't think people realize just how great a player he still is......Sampras does now anyway :lol:

Chopin
05-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Hmmm....maybe the other players are letting him win to send him off to the retirement home with a win finally, since this is McEnroe's last year on the senior's tour?

Exactly what I was thinking.

stormholloway
05-03-2008, 01:47 PM
This should have been televised on Tennis Channel.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Tennis Channel will probably televise this match later this month, but after all the talk that Pete Sampras could hold his own against Roger Federer. Then what can be said about John McEnroe? :?

BreakPoint
05-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Tennis Channel will probably televise this match later this month, but after all the talk that Pete Sampras could hold his own against Roger Federer. Then what can be said about John McEnroe? :?
That's easy to answer. McEnroe would kick Federer's butt!! :lol:

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-03-2008, 01:55 PM

I agree, just as long as you know it. :)

Vision84
05-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Since Sampras beat Federer and Mcenroe beat Sampras and since so many TTW members think it means that Sampras can play on the tour and make good runs at Wimbledon then Mcenroe definitely should be playing. ;)

Mcenroe for Wimbledon 2008. You heard it here first. :)

BreakPoint
05-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Since Sampras beat Federer and Mcenroe beat Sampras and since so many TTW members think it means that Sampras can play on the tour and make good runs at Wimbledon then Mcenroe definitely should be playing. ;)

Mcenroe for Wimbledon 2008. You heard it here first. :)
Hey, McEnroe breaking Borg's streak of 5 straight Wimbledons forced Borg into retirement in 1981. There's no reason McEnroe can't also break Federer's streak of 5 straight Wimbledons and force Federer into retirement in 2008. :mrgreen: ;)

DashaandSafin
05-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Break...weren't you the one proclaiming that Sampras could beat some of the guys on tour?

MariaS
05-03-2008, 06:36 PM
John's game is amazing. His serve and volley is so methodical. Great half-volleyer too. I always routed for him over Borg. Probably because he's from NY. :-?

CyBorg
05-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Sheer genius. Mac at his best could beat anyone in history.

thor's hammer
05-03-2008, 07:09 PM
"I am sorry I won't be able to play in my match tonight against Jim due to a lower back injury," said Sampras. "I initially felt a twinge of pain in my opening match versus Jimmy Arias and it worsened near the end of my match against Mac last night. I will be going for an MRI today to properly diagnose the injury..."

http://www.championsseriestennis.com/boston2008/news.php?newsid=531

BreakPoint
05-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Break...weren't you the one proclaiming that Sampras could beat some of the guys on tour?
Oh, yeah, he can!

I think Sampras can beat anyone on the ATP Tour........

........as long as they're not over 50 years old! :lol: ;)

(BTW, the whole point of this thread is that I don't think Sampras is over the hill at only age 36, as many here will have everyone believe. Just look at McEnroe.)

BigT
05-03-2008, 09:13 PM
goes to show you the difference betwen a real match and an exhibition....

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Oh, yeah, he can!

I think Sampras can beat anyone on the ATP Tour........

........as long as they're not over 50 years old! :lol: ;)

(BTW, the whole point of this thread is that I don't think Sampras is over the hill at only age 36, as many here will have everyone believe. Just look at McEnroe.)

I don't think that there are many that would argue with that, but the ATP now is more physical and tournaments are held every week. Rather than every 4-6 weeks on the senior tours, their bodies will not hold up against the daily grind to be a top player.

Vision84
05-03-2008, 11:20 PM
While we are at it why doesn't Federer play Laver.

i saw Laver about 6 years ago in an exo...

BreakPoint
05-03-2008, 11:22 PM
While we are at it why doesn't Federer play Laver.

i saw Laver about 6 years ago in an exo...
Or maybe Federer versus Bille Jean King?

I hear she has never lost to a man! :lol: LOL

slice bh compliment
05-03-2008, 11:26 PM
I just got back from the Federer versus Ellsworth Vines exo. It was awesome tennis. Ellly was ON, so even though he's older and seventeen steps slower now, it was straight sets for the American.

Goes to show you...age is just a number. ANd powerful attacking tennis beats the grasspusher. Even on clay.

kingdaddy41788
05-04-2008, 12:08 AM
I just got back from the Federer versus Ellsworth Vines exo. It was awesome tennis. Ellly was ON, so even though he's older and seventeen steps slower now, it was straight sets for the American.

Goes to show you...age is just a number. ANd powerful attacking tennis beats the grasspusher. Even on clay.

Seventeen steps slower? I thought he was err... deceased...

edmondsm
05-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Sampras tanked that one. Figured he would hand one to the old man because of their last three matches. :)

BreakPoint
05-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Seventeen steps slower? I thought he was err... deceased...
"Seventeen steps slower", "Six feet under", etc......?

What's the difference? ;) LOL

helloworld
05-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Wow, this really proves that tennis is not all about age!

justsomeguy
05-04-2008, 04:51 AM
Wow, this really proves that tennis is not all about age!

Well, sort of. The main reason Mac has never won one of these Champion tours is that he struggles in the later rounds. Too many matches, and he isn't as fresh on Sunday as he was for the previous matches. By the time he makes the finals the body is starting to hurt. He still looks like a god early in the week. Maybe this is the one.

Isn't this it in a nutshell? Why a player can't play on the tour anymore? It isn't that they can't beat the other players, it's because their bodies can't take the grind anymore of playing match after match.

jackcrawford
05-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Well, sort of. The main reason Mac has never won one of these Champion tours is that he struggles in the later rounds. Too many matches, and he isn't as fresh on Sunday as he was for the previous matches. By the time he makes the finals the body is starting to hurt. He still looks like a god early in the week. Maybe this is the one.

Isn't this it in a nutshell? Why a player can't play on the tour anymore? It isn't that they can't beat the other players, it's because their bodies can't take the grind anymore of playing match after match.
McEnroe's game dropped abruptly in 2004, much like Warren Spahn lost his ability to pitch suddenly between ages 42 and 43. The fact that McEnroe beat Sampras shows Pete's humiliating WTT losses are on the level, and the Fed exos aren't. McEnroe could not get a game off Federer on any surface in a match that Federer tried in.

helloworld
05-04-2008, 08:29 PM
McEnroe's game dropped abruptly in 2004, much like Warren Spahn lost his ability to pitch suddenly between ages 42 and 43. The fact that McEnroe beat Sampras shows Pete's humiliating WTT losses are on the level, and the Fed exos aren't. McEnroe could not get a game off Federer on any surface in a match that Federer tried in.

You can't be serious on this one. McEnroe has one of the craziest serve in the game to back it up with perhaps the greatest volley in the world. I'd be surprise if Fed can break him more than once in a set let alone winning 6-0 6-0. You have no idea what you're talking about, mate.

BreakPoint
05-04-2008, 08:46 PM
McEnroe could not get a game off Federer on any surface in a match that Federer tried in.
You've obviously never seen McEnroe play in person. :(

BTW, was Federer "trying" against Mardy Fish at the PLO? :-?

vince916
05-04-2008, 08:53 PM
McEnroe will break Nadal's streak at FO.

You heard it here first.

iamke55
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
You can't be serious on this one. McEnroe has one of the craziest serve in the game to back it up with perhaps the greatest volley in the world. I'd be surprise if Fed can break him more than once in a set let alone winning 6-0 6-0. You have no idea what you're talking about, mate.

When Federer tries his hardest, people ranked as high as 2 or 3 in the world in the modern era have trouble getting games off of him, so how can someone who hasn't been ranked anywhere near that in decades hope to take games off a legit Federer?

BreakPoint
05-04-2008, 09:07 PM
When Federer tries his hardest, people ranked as high as 2 or 3 in the world in the modern era have trouble getting games off of him, so how can someone who hasn't been ranked anywhere near that in decades hope to take games off a legit Federer?
Because there were also good players that were born before 1985? Some of which are still extremely good? McEnroe won an ATP Doubles tournament at the 2006 SAP Open at the age of 47. What does that say about all the pros that are 20-25 years younger than him? I watched every single McEnroe match at that tournament and invariably in every single match, McEnroe was clearly the best player out of the four on the court.

People don't forget how to play tennis. In fact, they gain more experience. That's why I see old geezers beating the pants off of young players who think they're all that at public courts all the time. :shock:

superstition
05-04-2008, 09:18 PM
The combo of a bad back and Mac's retirement makes for a win for the gipper ("the gipper being me" - Philippoussis match)

Sampras definitely did the right thing by letting him win. It's simply unfair for McEnroe to have to play someone so young with such a huge serve, and McEnroe has played really hard and really well on the tour and deserves a title. McEnroe beat Philippoussis because he had no ground game and missed a bunch of serves. McEnroe simply can't beat an un-injured or otherwise normal Sampras, period. McEnroe can't even beat Martin. That being said, JM is an amazing player and he's the one I like to watch on the senior tour. I am, though, not a fan of the wide age range in the Outback series. I'd rather see Mac play Borg and other people around his age, or just a bit younger. Mac vs. Sampras is just a joke, really.

Pistol Pete
05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
i remember i watched them live last year in boston. And Pete went up 3-0 very easily and you could tell he did enough to win.
I am sure Mac is still amazing but he can not beat pete IMO

rockbox
05-04-2008, 09:40 PM
I think Mac can beat in the world on fast surface like carpet including Federer. The problem for the old guys like Sampras and Mac is that they take a longer time to recover and could not handle the rigor of a ATP tournament where you have to play at a high level everyday for two weeks.

Lets just say that no one including Fed would want to play Mac in the first round of Wimbledon.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I think Mac can beat in the world on fast surface like carpet including Federer. The problem for the old guys like Sampras and Mac is that they take a longer time to recover and could not handle the rigor of a ATP tournament where you have to play at a high level everyday for two weeks.

Lets just say that no one including Fed would want to play Mac in the first round of Wimbledon.

What planet are you living on?

And what's you're other name on this board, because you're obviously trolling for something that's not there.

PCXL-Fan
05-05-2008, 01:09 AM

Mac beat Courier the day before. He's in the final vs Krickstein(who beat Ferreira earlier in the week), this may be his last, best chance to win an Champions title. Apparently the surface is quite fast in Boston.

Remember that Sampras was able to beat Federer once in one of their 3 match meetings.

My genius intellect tells me that means 50 year old McEnroe could beat Federer :p

And since 50 year old McEnroe could possibly lose to Serena Wiliams it means Serena Williams could beat Federer.

And Serena Williams was beaten in 2005 Wimbledon by (then) WTA No.85 Jill Craybas. This means on Federer's prefered surface Wimbledon, Jill Craybas could beat Federer in 1 of every 3 matches. But they would all be close and federer would be pushed to the max and almost lose to Jill in matches he would win. :p :twisted:

helloworld
05-05-2008, 02:32 AM
And since 50 year old McEnroe could possibly lose to Serena Wiliams it means Serena Williams could beat Federer.

lol, you are on some nice cracks there, mate. Mcenroe is one of the all time greats and you think a chubby woman can beat him. :lol:

my_forehand
05-05-2008, 03:03 AM
Remember that Sampras was able to beat Federer once in one of their 3 match meetings.

My genius intellect tells me that means 50 year old McEnroe could beat Federer :p

And Serena Williams was beaten in 2005 Wimbledon by (then) WTA No.85 Jill Craybas. This means on Federer's prefered surface Wimbledon, Jill Craybas could beat Federer in 1 of every 3 matches. But they would all be close and federer would be pushed to the max and almost lose to Jill in matches he would win. :p :twisted:

That's the key word ;)

TheNatural
05-05-2008, 07:20 AM
I doubt Sampras tried much. Sampras probably had a golf game scheduled later that afternoon.

TheNatural
05-05-2008, 07:31 AM
well that explains it.

"I am sorry I won't be able to play in my match tonight against Jim due to a lower back injury," said Sampras. "I initially felt a twinge of pain in my opening match versus Jimmy Arias and it worsened near the end of my match against Mac last night. I will be going for an MRI today to properly diagnose the injury..."

http://www.championsseriestennis.com/boston2008/news.php?newsid=531

hoodjem
05-05-2008, 08:15 AM

Wow!!! You go BP!

What kind of scoring produces a "2-6, 7-5, 10-4 victory." Seniors Tie-breaker or something?

BreakPoint
05-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Wow!!! You go BP!

What kind of scoring produces a "2-6, 7-5, 10-4 victory." Seniors Tie-breaker or something?
Yes. All seniors matches now play a 10 point super-tiebreak in lieu of a full 3rd set.

MariaS
05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
As far as Mac goes. It doesn't matter who's on the other side of the court. If he plays his best serve and follows it in with a volley or half-volley, he'll win the point. The End!

"That's why I see old geezers beating the pants off of young players who think they're all that at public courts all the time. "
take that back! :mad:

stormholloway
05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Mac battled from a set down to win the title.

superstition
05-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Mac battled from a set down to win the title.
That's what I'd do. Who would believe a straight setter over Sampras? Martin, who McEnroe can't beat, can't tough Sampras on the senior tour. Either Sampras truly was quite injured or he used injury as an excuse for giving McEnroe a very deserved pass.

John can play brilliantly at times, but he is just too old, weak, and slow to beat Sampras. It's really that simple. However, I am looking forward to seeing the match. If Sampras really was quite injured then McEnroe may have won without other assistance.