PDA

View Full Version : Unstrung.....(Inside-Out Sports)..

Jonas
05-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Did anyone else see that show tonite>? It documented the junior careers of a few up and coming players like Young, Querrey, Neily, Segusso etc.
2 hours long a really well made....
It was on ESPN Classic.

Aeropro master
05-03-2008, 06:54 PM
was it good? the trailer seemed really good

johnathan smith
05-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I caught the last 45 minutes of it and agree that it was really good.
If anyone taped it or know where I can get a copy please drop me an email. I of course will pay you for your services...or also have tons of matches for trade.
thanks,
jwhtennis777@yahoo.com

NebAce1
05-03-2008, 07:57 PM
I saw it, and thought it was very good and interesting.

ten15
05-03-2008, 08:01 PM
will it be aired again?

atatu
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I caught the last 45 minutes of it and agree that it was really good.
If anyone taped it or know where I can get a copy please drop me an email. I of course will pay you for your services...or also have tons of matches for trade.
thanks,
jwhtennis777@yahoo.com

It's going to be on Netflix in the future (they have it as pending).

Very well made, I enjoyed it, made me feel bad for some of the guys like Tim Neilly...

cujays
05-04-2008, 04:02 AM

Very well made, I enjoyed it, made me feel bad for some of the guys like Tim Neilly...

i really didnt undrestand what happened to tim
What about marcus fugate he couldnt get into college because he signed an endorsement deal

NebAce1
05-04-2008, 07:03 AM

yup it made me feel very bad for tim, because he seemed to be one of the guys with the most talent, but could not really afford to play.

Babb
05-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I felt bad for Clancy, was it? With the ankle injury at Kalamazoo. His last junior tournament.

Chauvalito
05-04-2008, 10:36 AM
I saw the film as well and thought they did a great job.

That Hirschman kid is a character, very smart. He seemed to have matured a lot by the time they showed him playing at Stanford.

I too felt bad for Fugate, however his problems seems to have been perpetuated by his lack of motivation to really push himself 100%.

Overall, great film, I recommend it to all tennis players aspiring juniors.

johnathan smith
05-04-2008, 12:12 PM

Thank you Sir,
I was looking for a VHS or DVD copy that I could keep. I don't have the equipment anymore to copy the Netflix version.
I'll buy, or offer a trade from my library of tennis matches.
thanks.
jwhtennis777@yaho.com

Sixpointone
05-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I too really enjoyed the Documentary and if it is eventually offered for Sale I'd strongly consider buying a copy.

I also agree how it is a must see for aspiring Juniors and their Families.

And of course it is an eye opener for many on how rough the road can be to become a Pro.

PBODY99
05-04-2008, 05:46 PM
MAY 25 following the French open on ESPN 2
July 7th time to bet set on ESPN 2
This came from the movie's web site.

dirtballer
05-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I just finished watching Unstrung from my DVR. I thought it was very interesting. I have a couple thoughts.

1. If Tim Neily were a basketball player, football player, soccer player, etc., his lack of funds wouldn't be a problem. He would play on his high school team for free and then over the summer play on an AAU team where most expenses would be paid. He wouldn't have to worry about funds to develop his skills. 2. Some of the parents seem to be living through their kids while some of the parents kept things in perspective pretty well.
3. How many kids at Kalamazoo actually played on a high school team? It seems like most attended some type of tennis academy. That's probably why everyone's game looks basically the same.
4. All the kids in college seemed happier than when they were playing Juniors.
5. I hope Fugate and Neilly land on their feet somewhere.

West Coast Ace
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Very well made, I enjoyed it, made me feel bad for some of the guys like Tim Neilly...I thought it was very good too. My only complaint - too short. If it had been 4 hours I would have watched and not been bored.

What about marcus fugate he couldnt get into college because he signed an endorsement dealI guess they highlighted that for the non-tennis viewers. I thought it was common knowledge that once you took pro cash you had no shot at college.

That Hirschman kid is a character, very smart. He seemed to have matured a lot by the time they showed him playing at Stanford.Remember the main stories were filmed in '05 - and the update was earlier this year. So he went from 16 yrs old to 19. I'm actually surprised he made the tennis team at Stanford. I didn't think he was very good as a junior - must have improved quite a bit.

3. How many kids at Kalamazoo actually played on a high school team? It seems like most attended some type of tennis academy. That's probably why everyone's game looks basically the same.
All kids - in the US - who have any talent probably have the same game - big serve, big FH.

http://www.angrybackhand.com

atatu
05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I just noticed that Tim Neilly won three qualifying matches at the Futures in Florida this week to make the main draw, good luck Tim !

Wondertoy
05-06-2008, 06:46 PM
What about marcus fugate he couldnt get into college because he signed an endorsement deal

Did they say that in the film? I saw the film at Kalamazoo but I don't remember that being said. If that's true then it's really too bad. He's has trained at Bolleterri's since he was 14. He has a huge serve, baseline grinder game, good backhand, erratic forehand. His a big guy, moves well and is very athletic but IMHO wasn't developed properly at Bolleterri's. He should have been an attacker with his size and atheleticism but like almost everybody that comes out of Boletteri's, he's just another baseline grinder.

cujays
05-07-2008, 04:28 AM
Did they say that in the film? I saw the film at Kalamazoo but I don't remember that being said. If that's true then it's really too bad. He's has trained at Bolleterri's since he was 14. He has a huge serve, baseline grinder game, good backhand, erratic forehand. His a big guy, moves well and is very athletic but IMHO wasn't developed properly at Bolleterri's. He should have been an attacker with his size and atheleticism but like almost everybody that comes out of Boletteri's, he's just another baseline grinder.

how old is he now 21?
if this is the case then why isnt he playing in college?

Rob_C
05-07-2008, 10:37 AM
It was stated in the documentary that he was declared ineligible because of an endorsement deal he signed. He had wanted to go to Ohio St or Florida.

I kinda wonder if he's gonna make it to the top 200 or so because he's still hovering around the 7-800s now, 3 years later. He was in the 600s in '06 but doesn't seem to have made much progress.

cujays
05-07-2008, 05:44 PM
It was stated in the documentary that he was declared ineligible because of an endorsement deal he signed. He had wanted to go to Ohio St or Florida.

I kinda wonder if he's gonna make it to the top 200 or so because he's still hovering around the 7-800s now, 3 years later. He was in the 600s in '06 but doesn't seem to have made much progress.

what more can he do but play tennis
i hope he makes the right desicion and go to school

Rob_C
05-07-2008, 05:51 PM
what more can he do but play tennis
i hope he makes the right desicion and go to school

He can go, but it wont be on a tennis scholarship, and he wont be allowed to play college tennis. Other than that, he's free to go.

If I were in his shoes, I'd give the tour a crack.

He can alway fall back to being a coach, maybe even a college coach somewhere. That'll get him a discount on tuition.

Verilious
05-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Can anyone post the trailer for it?

rum02
05-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Can anyone post the trailer for it?

unstrungthemovie.com

Wondertoy
09-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Interesting, where are they now?

Michael Bluth
09-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Querrey we of course know where he is, top 25 on the verge of top 20. Young has had a disastrous year and is barely in the top 200.

As for the others, I believe Shields graduated this year from Boise State.

Seguso is a senior at UCLA where he plays #2 singles. He played some futures this summer and had decent success.

Fugate is still struggling on the futures circuit, somewhere between 600 and 800 I believe.

Hirschman is still on the team at Stanford.

Neilly I heard has been trying to get back onto the tour.

audioaffliction
09-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Is there any way to watch this movie other than buying the DVD? Netflix still doesn't have it...