PDA

View Full Version : Will there be another 30 year old+ Grand Slam winner?

BigT
05-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Sampras and Agassi were the last, and the way the game is going, it's tough to see anyone else do it.....who?

scineram
05-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Roger, of course.

mrmo1115
05-04-2008, 06:45 PM
i doubt it

the game is getting tougher and once ur old ur pretty much out

its all about the young guns right now

ppl are even talking about rogers era of dominance being over soon

i dont see any future 30 year old + grand slam winners

scotus
05-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Roger seems to have minimal wear and tear on his joints, so if anyone can do it, Roger can.

I don't think Nadal can play at the top level for more than 3-4 more years unless he finds a way to win matches more easily.

mrmo1115
05-04-2008, 07:04 PM
^^^

i agree

if anyone does it roger will

35ft6
05-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Yes. And there will be more teenaged grand slam winners as well.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-05-2008, 08:12 AM
:) Moya's winning the French Open this year...so there you go

Not fulltime player
05-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Will there be another 30 old year regulary between the top 10?

dh003i
05-05-2008, 08:25 AM
I think it very likely Federer will win multiple GS at 30 and above.

joeri888
05-05-2008, 08:28 AM
I think Roger can do it if he's still motivated. He won't be number 1 but I think he could still be top 5 maybe.Of course his footwork will be not that great, but his strokes are so awesome as is his serve and his volleys. he might actually serve and volley again?

Otherwise I don't see anyone in the near future. Don't see Nalbandian do it, and he's the second oldest player in the top 10 atm isn't he?

What about Roddick? He will always have his serve of course, but he already lacks a lot of other capabilities, but who knows..

joeri888
05-05-2008, 08:29 AM
I think it very likely Federer will win multiple GS at 30 and above.

He might win a slam or two, because that's what he'll be going for.. but I can't see him being number 1 in the world TBH. He won't win 3 a year that's for sure.

superstition
05-05-2008, 08:45 AM
the game is getting tougher and once ur old ur pretty much out
Old is not 30. Pancho Gonzales beat top male pros in his 40s and so did Rosewall. Navratilova beat some of history's best players, like Graf and Seles, well over that age.

Tennis is growing increasingly biased toward teenagers. One Tennis Channel commentator a few years back, when discussing the numerous injured WTA pros who were retiring or considering retirement because of injury, implied that there's nothing wrong with someone in their early 20s who retires because there are so many exciting 17-18 year olds to replace these "aging divas". Yeah, I guess we should count Mirza among them because her "evolved" western grip topspin extreme pace forehand on hard court - she is a perfect exponent of the "modern" game - is considering retirement due to ruined knees and a ruined wrist.

Yeah, the game is becoming tougher as hard synthetics replace natural equipment.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Old is not 30. Pancho Gonzales beat top male pros in his 40s and so did Rosewall. Navratilova beat some of history's best players, like Graf and Seles, well over that age.

Tennis is growing increasingly biased toward teenagers. One Tennis Channel commentator a few years back, when discussing the numerous injured WTA pros who were retiring or considering retirement because of injury, implied that there's nothing wrong with someone in their early 20s who retires because there are so many exciting 17-18 year olds to replace these "aging divas". Yeah, I guess we should count Mirza among them because her "evolved" western grip topspin extreme pace forehand on hard court - she is a perfect exponent of the "modern" game - is considering retirement due to ruined knees and a ruined wrist.

Yeah, the game is becoming tougher as hard synthetics replace natural equipment.

Schade. Too bad, but true. I think this opinion of the commentator is wrong, though of course, it's their choice to feel that way. Would much rather see an "older" player than a young player with little tactics except hit harder.

ilovecarlos
05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
:) Moya's winning the French Open this year...so there you go

Haha...Good one Journey! You are as idealistic as I am......
It could happen if he paid more attention to tennis and less to that blood sucking Floozie that stole his mojo:oops:

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Haha...Good one Journey! You are as idealistic as I am......
It could happen if he paid more attention to tennis and less to that blood sucking Floozie that stole his mojo:oops:

Well, I always root for the underdog. And considering the players now that are 30+, honestly he's more likely than any of them. (even if I am dreaming) :)

edmondsm
05-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Andy Roddick will finally win Wimbledon when he is 47 years old.

ilovecarlos
05-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Well, I always root for the underdog. And considering the players now that are 30+, honestly he's more likely than any of them. (even if I am dreaming) :)

I'll join your dream;)

rommil
05-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Andy Roddick will finally win Wimbledon when he is 47 years old.

....in the women's senior tour.

Wimbledunn
05-05-2008, 12:30 PM
El Aynaoui should be favored to win Aussie Open next year

boredone3456
05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I think in todays game it would be difficult to win a slam after 30. Sampras and Agassi were exceptional players in there 30's, but they also still had the love for the game and drive to train and compete....which after years on the tour is usually the biggest challenge apart from physical fatigue. if anyone of the current players could do it, it would be federer. I would say Nadal if his knees weren't so questionable. Heck...Davenport could pull a surprise at Wimbledon for all we know on the womens tour as everyone there is so streaky, either hurt or sloppy, but seriously, Fed would be the one to do it if anyone will

edmondsm
05-05-2008, 04:49 PM
....in the women's senior tour.

Yeah didn't I mention that? Oh I guess I didn't, thanks for the clarification.

superstition
05-05-2008, 07:26 PM
the womens tour as everyone there is so streaky, either hurt or sloppy
Injured, yes... sloppy no. It's hard playing at one's best after a lot of time off from injuries. Even Federer lost to a player like Volandri, and he wasn't terribly injured for a long time.

Cup8489
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
i must admit, i dont ever write off older players

i still like watching santoro, even if he loses. the random dropshots just make me laugh in shock.
but yes, federer has the best chance. anyone seeing djokovic doing it, if he keeps improving?

quest01
05-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I do think someone else besides Agassi and Sampras will win a Grand Slam when they are in their 30's and the man that will do this is Federer. I could actually see Federer winning a few slams in his 30's.

However I don't think Nadal will even make past 30 with his style of play. I would be surprised if he is even playing in his 30's unless he drastically changes his playing style down the road.

crawl4
05-07-2008, 02:35 AM
i agree roger will have the best chance but i cant believe how many people are saying roger. a number of people im sure in this thread have said roger was finished and he should retire only a few weeks ago. you make me sick

scineram
05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
This is the life of fans. They bury you then they cheer you.

orangettecoleman
05-08-2008, 11:04 PM
oh to hell with it- STEPANEK WILL WIN WIMBLEDON THIS YEAR. there i said it.