PDA

View Full Version : Attention: AndrewD

equinox
01-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Hiya,

I phoned a few of tennis stores in Melbourne. Asking about Prince Original Classic (POG) availability.

Here are my results. :(

1. Tension 24 - ph 9562 5644

Available: NO
Can get in: NO

quotes "racquets which are more than 2-3 years old. Best to buy newer similar playing one."

2. Reynolds Racquets - ph 9890 3011

quotes "bear with me...I'm new here. finally suggested similar to POG the prince shark!"

3. Curnow Tennis pasco vale - ph 9350 6161

quotes "Haven't sold one for 15 years. No idea where or how to find new POGs. Try remote country tennis shops maybe the have old stock they never sold."

4. Prelli Racquets Collingwood - ph 9419 4000

Available: has 1 or 2 demo's
Can get in: not at the moment

Had most success here. Spoke to guy named "LOU". This guy apparently collects racquets. He was most knowlegable of all phoned so far.
Says he spoken to prince rep, says prince wants more interest shown in POG before the consider re-releasing in Australia. Suggest talking to prince reps @ ausopen to show interest in pog.

It's worth phoning lou and asking about demo'ing pog. Though I'm not sure if he has any newer ones to sell.

AndrewD
01-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Equinox, you are a dead set legend (to use a nice Aussie phrase).

I know Prelli's pretty well, at least the store in Collingwood. Thanks very much for going to the trouble to call them up and I'll get on the phone to them now. Did always find them the best stocked store around town and, as I wont have a car, its good that they're also the most conveniently located one to the city.

I'm heading down to Melbourne on Sunday the 16th and back on Thursday the 20th so I'll make a point of going out to Prelli's on the Monday or Tuesday. Will see if I can get hold of a demo and take it to Collingwood indoor. At worst, Prelli's used to have a place at the back of their store where you could hit up.

Regardless, did want to check out what they had and see how they feel about mail order up to Queensland.

Thanks again mate, you're a life saver.

He didn't give you a price or an estimate did he?

counterpuncher
01-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Hi,

being a fellow Melbournian, the only other reputable place that I know that demos racquets that you are yet to try is :

SERVE & VOLLEY PTY LTD
247c Belmore Rd Balwyn North 3104 (03) 9851 6255

I have to admit though that I don't really like your chances. Being in a relatively small market as we are you might just have to buy from the U.S. from TW, these boards or **** and just suck it and see. You can always re-sell the racquet for probably a minimal loss given that you would be paying about half what it what cost you here.

counterpuncher
01-11-2005, 08:01 PM
p.s. I have dealt with Lou from Prelli before and he is a nice guy, but I would try and strike a deal to see if you can demo the racquet and possibly but it from him if you like it as their usual demo program costs $50. You then get this back if you buy a racquet from them but of course there prices are relatively high as they sell at Australian rrp prices.

AndrewD
01-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Equinox,

I just got off the phone to Prelli's and spoke to Lou (he though I was you initially). Said the did have the one demo as part of his personal collection but not really able to bring it down for a demo hit. Did tell me about a big 'demo day' theyre having on the 23rd but, unfortunately I'll have gone by then.

Don't think I'll be able to get to the Open and wouldnt really be bothered with hassling the Prince reps anyway. I just wanted to demo the POG to see if I liked it and would most likely have just bought it through TW as I cant see it being available in Australia cheaper than TW's $208 (including shipping).

Regardless, thanks again for the effort.

counterpuncher, I think you're right. I probably would have bought from the States anyway (so much cheaper) but just wanted to have a hit with one to see if I liked it before jumping in the deep end and buying one. Also, given that its an oversize I wanted to see if I felt like i was losing out on anything but going that big or if I should just stick to mid or mid-plus. Appreciate the suggestion though. Lived in Kew for a time so have been past Serve & Volley a few times, although they were pretty big on Head the last time I was in there.

equinox
01-11-2005, 09:11 PM
AndrewD,

Maybe we coould organise a hit.

You could demo my POGs.

AndrewD
01-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Equinox,
thanks again mate. if you get an email from demassonandrew@hotmail.com that'll be me.

Am coming down to have a follow up done on my shoulder and knee but should be in okay condition for a hit if we manage to arrange it.