PDA

View Full Version : Rafael Nadal closes gap on Roger Federer in men's tennis rankings

makhan10
05-05-2008, 03:48 AM
http://www.topnews.in/sports/rafael-nadal-closes-gap-roger-federer-mens-tennis-rankings-21324

Salsa_Lover
05-05-2008, 03:53 AM
He has been closing the gap the last 4 years...

ninman
05-05-2008, 03:56 AM
I think we'll find that gap increasing again after Rome, especially if Nadal loses, which he could well do given that Rome will be his third tournament in 3 weeks.

Vision84
05-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Well Nadal can't gain any points really during the clay season cause he won almost everything, losing only at Hamburg last year. The only way for him to close the gap here would be if he defends many points and Federer does poorly.

ericsson
05-05-2008, 03:59 AM
I think we'll find that gap increasing again after Rome, especially if Nadal loses, which he could well do given that Rome will be his third tournament in 3 weeks.

That's true but there is one big factor here, he sometimes or better most of the time wins very easy so he doesnt use too much energy, compared to other ones...

Leublu tennis
05-05-2008, 05:47 AM
Well Nadal can't gain any points really during the clay season cause he won almost everything, losing only at Hamburg last year. The only way for him to close the gap here would be if he defends many points and Federer does poorly.
I think this is how it will eventually happen. Nadal will stay in the same place but Federer will slip. How quickly that happens is the only question.

PROTENNIS63
05-05-2008, 07:04 AM
He has been closing the gap since Fed became number 1. He just cannot accomplish it.

CyBorg
05-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Federer has actually slightly widened the gap by winning in Estoril. Rafa is merely staying close by winning the tournaments he won last year - Monte Carlo and Barcelona. Federer successfully defended his Monte Carlo points from 2007.

Federer has a chance to pick up some additional points by advancing deeper into Rome. He made an early exit last year. Nadal can at best defend his points.

CyBorg
05-05-2008, 07:12 AM
I just read the article provided and what tripe. It seriously makes me mad and shows that the guy who wrote it doesn't even know the basics of how the ATP rankings work.

Nadal did not make any strides on Federer by winning these back-to-back events. Absolutely none. Zilch.

How do these people get work? Srsly.

rafan
05-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Well for a start RAfa should have been awarded bonus points for his amazing performance in Monte Carlo - winning both singles and doubles - so in my eyes he is a lot nearer to being no 1 than is stated

flyer
05-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Thats old news, until he actually passes him it doesn't matter, 1 mean the best and 2 means the 2nd best

Moose Malloy
05-05-2008, 09:56 AM
from steveg:

It was a slow start to the year for Rafael Nadal (in terms of titles won). His first came last week in Monte Carlo. However, it was also his first event of the year on clay. So he remains undefeated this year on clay by taking his second title in as many weeks, winning in Barcelona. It's his 4th straight title there as well and as a result he is our Mover of the Week. Due to a bit of scheduling shuffle this year, the points from Barcelona had already come off the rankings so Nadal gains 275 points.

caulcano
05-06-2008, 05:07 AM

I can see the gap increasing again after Rome, but I can't see Nadal losing.

ericsson
05-06-2008, 06:07 AM

Yea me neighter, that guy is a beast, i'm really glad there still players like that around, always a fight, imagine you see your name on the board, next round against the beast Nadal :p

player2409
05-06-2008, 09:22 AM

..yes.. i have the same opinion.. however, i definitely hope that he will defend all the titles on clay, but i guess it's going to be too difficult for him, since he has to defend all these points in 4 tournaments within 4 weeds.. thats pretty ****ed up.. atp should think about that.. no tennis player can play all 4 weeks in that way he could defend his titles.. !!! -but rafa will try it and i HOPE he is going to win, although he already has won 2 of them.. =)

player2409
05-06-2008, 09:24 AM

it's definitely that the gap is going to increase, since lucky federer has only to defend the second round....!! that's annoying.. and i bet he will do it to the finals.. but i hope rafa will do it tooooo!!

r2473
05-06-2008, 11:14 AM
it's definitely that the gap is going to increase, since lucky federer has only to defend the second round....!! that's annoying.. and i bet he will do it to the finals.. but i hope rafa will do it tooooo!!

All part of Fed's master plan. It is really ingenious.

1) First, he purposely lost to Cannas twice last year in the early rounds of IW and Miami (thus ensuring himself points this year)

2) Then, he lost to Volandri in Rome (pure genius), again, ensuring easy points this year (lucky Fed).

3) Already thinking ahead to 2009, he purposely contracted mono. Thus allowing himself to lose in the semis of AO and IW and the quarters in Miami (and the mono gives him a built in excuse).

This Fed is diabolical.

edmondsm
05-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Federer has plenty of points to lose as well. If he goes out early in Rome and Hamburg you will most likely see the race tighten.

Edit: However, I forgot that Nadal isn't playing Hamburg. So the points gap will most likely be unchanged until after RG. More likely is that Federer will pick up points in Rome.

coloskier
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Federer has plenty of points to lose as well. If he goes out early in Rome and Hamburg you will most likely see the race tighten.

Edit: However, I forgot that Nadal isn't playing Hamburg. So the points gap will most likely be unchanged until after RG. More likely is that Federer will pick up points in Rome.

And since Nadal is not playing Hamburg, Federer will definitely pick up points there. Any points are better than no points.

scineram
05-06-2008, 01:45 PM
All part of Fed's master plan. It is really ingenious.

1) First, he purposely lost to Cannas twice last year in the early rounds of IW and Miami (thus ensuring himself points this year)

2) Then, he lost to Volandri in Rome (pure genius), again, ensuring easy points this year (lucky Fed).

3) Already thinking ahead to 2009, he purposely contracted mono. Thus allowing himself to lose in the semis of AO and IW and the quarters in Miami (and the mono gives him a built in excuse).

This Fed is diabolical.

LOL! Too good!