PDA

View Full Version : Throwing your racquet to reach a ball - is it legal?

harrpau7
05-05-2008, 05:07 AM
As the title says, if you could not reach the ball to make a shot, but you threw your racquet at the ball and the ball somehow went back over the net, would it count as a legal shot?

Vision84
05-05-2008, 05:18 AM
I'm pretty sure the racket needs to be in your control when making contact with the ball so the answer is it is not a legal shot.

I would wait till someone who knows the rules better than I do to answer though.

Moz
05-05-2008, 05:23 AM
Not legal - you would lose the point.

baek57
05-05-2008, 05:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHk3KEGF5mI

Leublu tennis
05-05-2008, 05:36 AM
I think when you have thrown the racquet it becomes just a loose object on the court. And, before you ask, if you drop your racquet you can not kick the ball back over the net, I don't think.

my_forehand
05-05-2008, 05:37 AM
Connors' celebration was...weird. He's like a kid.

Vision84
05-05-2008, 05:41 AM

HAHA that was awesome. He managed to hit the ball about 10feet over his head. I'm a bit confused as judging by the youtube comments he was awarded the point but it was against the rules. :confused:

ericsson
05-05-2008, 05:47 AM

OMG, that's crazy! nowadays i'm pretty sure it's not legal, maybe back then it was...

Nice clip man! :-)

Vision84
05-05-2008, 05:58 AM
maybe back then it was...

Back then in 1996. ;)

PROTENNIS63
05-05-2008, 07:03 AM
According to USTA, the racquet must be in the hand of the player at all times for the point to count.

jmsx521
05-05-2008, 07:11 AM
That Connors point is from his Seniors' Tour days: Notice his Prince racket! That is not 70s-80s! Is it legal on the Seniors' Tour?

dh003i
05-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Well, even though he lost that, it was an awesome point by Connors.

tzinc
05-05-2008, 07:33 AM
I thought you could use your body to return the ball (your face or hand or kick it back) if you wanted to (the racquet in your hand is part of the body). Please correct me if I am wrong.

MAX PLY
05-05-2008, 07:47 AM
The Rules of Tennis are clear:

Rule 24(h) indicates that a player loses the point if the ball touches the player or anything the player is holding or wearing, except of course the racquet.

Rule 24(i) indicates that a player loses the point if the racquet touches the ball while the player is not holding it (thus a ball hit by a thrown racquet is a lost point for the "racquet thrower").

jmsx521
05-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I assume it would be a very close call if the ball touches the handle (let's say a miss-hit on a volley at the net)... and the umpire might claim that the ball touched the player's hand!?

JRstriker12
05-05-2008, 07:57 AM
I thought you could use your body to return the ball (your face or hand or kick it back) if you wanted to (the racquet in your hand is part of the body). Please correct me if I am wrong.

No - you can't use your body to return the ball. Once it touches, your clothes, face, foot, etc. your lose the point. If you could use your body (not the racket) to return the ball, what would stop you from catching the ball and throwing it back for a winner?

hoodjem
05-05-2008, 08:08 AM
No, Connors loses the point.

Loco4Tennis
05-05-2008, 08:20 AM
The Rules of Tennis are clear:

Rule 24(h) indicates that a player loses the point if the ball touches the player or anything the player is holding or wearing, except of course the racquet.

Rule 24(i) indicates that a player loses the point if the racquet touches the ball while the player is not holding it (thus a ball hit by a thrown racquet is a lost point for the "racquet thrower").

these 2 rules clear the debate for me
thanks MAX PLY

but regardless, it was a cool point by connors :-)

Vision84
05-05-2008, 08:29 AM
HEre is another instance. A little different though where Kiefer throws his racket but was debated whether it put Grosjean off or not.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MBWxjE6wRQ0

dh003i
05-05-2008, 08:54 AM
these 2 rules clear the debate for me
thanks MAX PLY

but regardless, it was a cool point by connors :-)

Too bad there's ******bag players like Lendl who try to clock others on the chest or head to take advantage of that rule. That ought to be a penalty as well...like in basketball, I think it is a technical to rebound the ball in off an opposing player's head.

maverick66
05-05-2008, 08:59 AM
HEre is another instance. A little different though where Kiefer throws his racket but was debated whether it put Grosjean off or not.

such crap. it should have been grosjeans point and every one but the officials knew it. i would have thrown my racket at kiefer on the very next point. it would have been drop shot and a racket chucked at his head.

Loco4Tennis
05-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Too bad there's ******bag players like Lendl who try to clock others on the chest or head to take advantage of that rule. That ought to be a penalty as well...like in basketball, I think it is a technical to rebound the ball in off an opposing player's head.

yeah it should be, and i think it falls into the sportmanlike conduct rule, but this rule is even harder to enforce, becuase malicious intent needs to be precent, pegging someone is not enough, to be considered you need to aim at someoen with the intension of causing harm and possibly putting them out the game, well thats my understanding of it

el sergento
05-06-2008, 12:00 AM

Kiefer, biggest cheat in the game. The guy has no dignity, he should have given that point to Grosjean.

el sergento
05-06-2008, 12:06 AM

I disagree, it's a perfectly legitimate shot and that's why it's allowed. What's the difference between going for the body or going for a passing shot?? In both cases you're trying to prevent your opponent from hitting a volley or hitting a clean ball. It's very hard to hit a ball that's right up on your body, why is it cheating if your opponent forced you to hit, or try to hit, a difficult shot??

In doubles they do this all the time.

el sergento
05-06-2008, 12:10 AM
yeah it should be, and i think it falls into the sportmanlike conduct rule, but this rule is even harder to enforce, becuase malicious intent needs to be precent, pegging someone is not enough, to be considered you need to aim at someoen with the intension of causing harm and possibly putting them out the game, well thats my understanding of it

You can't take someone out with a tennis ball. Remember Agassi smashing a ball right into Corretja?? Or even this Lendl-Mac incident. Both player got up, brushed themselves off and continued playing. Maybe if you hit someone in the nose you might make it bleed, but that's about it.

Loco4Tennis
05-06-2008, 03:37 AM
i know someone that got his redna detached by a tennis ball, he was amost not able to play for weeks because he could not see afterwards, you can do some real damage with a simple tennis ball,
hitting the tennis ball off someones head will also cause problems if you hit them hard enough
but you do have a point above, it is a easier shot to hit someone then to try to go arround them, but then again i am not that interested in gettings points like that
one thing i will say though, if you come up to volley alot, you need to expect getting hit, no way arround that fact, i know this and its why i am ready everytime
but,,, let get back to throwing racquets in the tennis court argument :-) thoes motherss can hurt too

JRstriker12
05-06-2008, 07:48 AM
i know someone that got his redna detached by a tennis ball, he was amost not able to play for weeks because he could not see afterwards, you can do some real damage with a simple tennis ball,
hitting the tennis ball off someones head will also cause problems if you hit them hard enough
but you do have a point above, it is a easier shot to hit someone then to try to go arround them, but then again i am not that interested in gettings points like that
one thing i will say though, if you come up to volley alot, you need to expect getting hit, no way arround that fact, i know this and its why i am ready everytime
but,,, let get back to throwing racquets in the tennis court argument :-) thoes motherss can hurt too

The case with the detached retina was an accident, totally unintentional.

Besides, if you do go for the body, you usually hit low towards their belly button or maybe at the feet. You go for the head and you either hit the ball out or get a smash in return. You are not trying to hit them, so much as give them a ball that will jam them or not let them volley easily. If I have a choice between a passing shot or a body shot, I'll usually pass as I've seen too many body shots backfire when the opponent gets a racket on the ball and hits an accidental drop volley winner or the pace of the ball causes it to rebound for a winner. Had an opponent try to hit a hard forehand at me that we about head high (don't think he did it on purpose), I ducked, stuck my racket out and it just bounced back for a winner.

I think most people tend to try to jam on body shots when you have all four players at the net. It's usually a volley, so it doesn't have the full force of a ground stroke or smash.

Fries-N-Gravy
05-06-2008, 07:59 AM
its technically illegal if the racquet is not in your hand but im pretty sure its up to the umpire. i think there was a point where safin ran into the net but he had obviously won the point.

i dont see why it shouldn't count though logically if you can throw your racquet and win the point.

Serpententacle
05-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Man... I wish there was another player who possesses the charisma, sense of humor, and zeal Connors had. I guess he's just one of a kind...

Vision84
05-06-2008, 10:31 AM
such crap. it should have been grosjeans point and every one but the officials knew it. i would have thrown my racket at kiefer on the very next point. it would have been drop shot and a racket chucked at his head.

If I was an umpire I would of considered defaulting him but for the sake of the fans who paid to see the match I would have been less harsh, though continuance of bad behavior would have resulted in default. ;)