PDA

View Full Version : Gasquet Should Retire

rtyd1
05-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Enjoy http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/05052008/58/atp-tour-gasquet-crashes.html

shwetty[tennis]balls
05-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Retire? If that's what you could call it. It's not like he's had much of a career. Given his gallic laziness and his deep mediocrity, I don't think he deserves to "retire." He should just continue to pick his ***** and stop playing tennis.

edmondsm
05-05-2008, 09:39 AM
It doesn't look like Gasquet is enjoying his Spring. He's a proven grass court player though and it will all be forgotten if he makes the semis of Wimbledon again.

Vision84
05-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Retire? He is like 21 years old. Time is still on his side though the clock is ticking. Many players have had bad slumps and have managed to comeback to the top of the game and he could be one of them. He certainly has the potential to be a consistent top 10 player.

Maybe you should think about retiring from posting.

aglu19
05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I like how after he defeated Roddick last year at Wimbledon, people started to compare him to Federer and predict the # of slams in upcoming years. All Gasquet has is a nice backhand and a whiny attitude.

Vision84
05-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I like how after he defeated Roddick last year at Wimbledon, people started to compare him to Federer and predict the # of slams in upcoming years. All Gasquet has is a nice backhand and a whiny attitude.

And good courtspeed with excellent volleys. It takes more than a single shot to get into the top 10.

rtyd1
05-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Retire? He is like 21 years old. Time is still on his side though the clock is ticking. Many players have had bad slumps and have managed to comeback to the top of the game and he could be one of them. He certainly has the potential to be a consistent top 10 player.

Maybe you should think about retiring from posting.

Dude it was a joke, do u normally take everything so seriously.
IMO Gasquet will win a GS before he retires and a few MS as well. Dont think he'll be n1 though cus he lacks the consistency and possibly mental strength to do it with Nadal, Djoker, Tsonga and potentially Murray up there with him

Vision84
05-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Dude it was a joke, do u normally take everything so seriously.
IMO Gasquet will win a GS before he retires and a few MS as well. Dont think he'll be n1 though cus he lacks the consistency and possibly mental strength to do it with Nadal, Djoker, Tsonga and potentially Murray up there with him

It is hard to tell on this forum...

MajinX
05-05-2008, 06:10 PM

man roddick basicly gave that game away, he coulda had the game during one of the tie breaks but came up a bit short. gasquet did keep on pushing on tho so i guess he somewhat deserves that win altho roddick played so well, in all 5 of the sets.

CanadianChic
05-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Can we ban this guy? Less than 50 posts and already a retirement thread. Off with his head!

cujays
05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
he gave up in his match today
is was terrible

serve/and/volley
05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
All Gasquet needs is this, and all his troubles will go away:

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Your_Game/Gear/General/2006_12_21_Wristassist_article.jpg

http://www.squarehittennis.com/images/bradgilbert_static.jpg

orangettecoleman
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
all gasquet needs are some of these.
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/SSPOD/SuperStock_1284-198A~Two-Tennis-Balls-Posters.jpg

danb
05-06-2008, 08:35 AM
balls;2307831']Retire? If that's what you could call it. It's not like he's had much of a career. Given his gallic laziness and his deep mediocrity, I don't think he deserves to "retire." He should just continue to pick his ***** and stop playing tennis.

Correct !!!!

edmondsm
05-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Gasquet is a player that suffers from not having a good mental game. Like all players who struggle with this, he is prone to dramatic highs and lows (see: Marat Safin). This will more then likely be the story of Gasquet's career.

I wouldn't be to hard on the guy for this recent loss. Horna is game opponent on clay and just the type of player that makes you pay when you're not giving it 100%.

coloskier
05-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Gasquet is a player that suffers from not having a good mental game. Like all players who struggle with this, he is prone to dramatic highs and lows (see: Marat Safin). This will more then likely be the story of Gasquet's career.

I wouldn't be to hard on the guy for this recent loss. Horna is game opponent on clay and just the type of player that makes you pay when you're not giving it 100%.

Yes, he is definitely afflicted with the dangerous "Safinitis" disease, whose symptoms include having your body on the court and your brain being halfway up a mountain and not being able to decide whether to go up or go down. Other players who have shown symptoms include Andy Murray and Baghdatis.

soyizgood
05-06-2008, 11:24 AM
It doesn't look like Gasquet is enjoying his Spring. He's a proven grass court player though and it will all be forgotten if he makes the semis of Wimbledon again.

And if he doesn't his ranking is going to free fall.

Gasquetrules
05-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Richard Gasquet seems to be suffering from tennis burnout. He's been playing the sport at a highly competitive level his entire life. In fact, tennis has been his entire life. And now that he has established himself in the ATP top ten he seems to have lost any passion and joy for the game. This was obvious in his loss to Horna.

I'm sure he was feeling a lot of pressure to do well in Rome after a third-round loss in Monte Carlo to Sam Querry. But he clearly wasn't playing with any desire or confidence against Horna. He approached the match like it was being played on a fast indoor court. He very rarely engaged in rallies from the baseline with Horna. Mostly, he just quickly went for power shots and winners. The way he played the second set, I almost wonder if the two double faults at 3-3 in the first were deliberate, a way to dump the set and get off the court as quick as possible. Gasquet put up virtually no fight in the second set. The few times when he did take a little pace off his shots and rally a few balls from the baseline with Horna, he usually won the point! But much of the time he was just willfully slapping the ball out of the court to get the contest over with.

If Gasquet had had normal motivation, he should have beaten Horna four and three. Horna has a good record on clay against top-ten players, but Gasquet tried to lose the match. He should be fined for a deliberate tank. It was a clear breach of professional standards. It's one thing to not play as an amature just because you don't feel like it, but people pay to see professionals perform and pulling a stunt like this is bad for the sport and the business. Gasquet should give some serious thought whether he really wants to play professional tennis as a career...

....but before he makes a decision, he should get off the court and take a good long vacation. Get away from competitive tennis until he misses it and wants to come back. This may take a month. It may take a year. He may decide he's had enough and quit. But he shouldn't come back until he's ready to go out and grind out points with a guy like Horna and put in the work to beat his opponent. And he'll only do this if he really loves it.

I love playing competitive tennis. Even if I'm getting my butt kicked, there's nothing I'd rather do. But of course, I'm just doing it for fun. So it doesn't matter if I win or lose. There's no real pressure on me like there is on a pro, so I can't say how I would hold up in the constant grind of pro tennis... year after year.

Other talented players have gone through similar gut checks in their careers (Andre Agassi comes to mind) when expectations and pressure were high early in their careers. I consider Boris Becker to have been possibly the most complete and gifted player to ever play the sport. He had huge success early and then seemed to lose motivation and drive and lost focus in the middle of his career. Becker had the talent to win a dozen Grand Slam titles if he had had the drive of a Sampras or Federer... but he didn't. He could have quit the game at age 22, but didn't. And he went on to win the Australian Open late in his career.

I'm not giving up on Richard Gasquet by a long shot. I still believe greatness lies ahead of him. His career has just begun. But he is sufffering from tennis burnout... and that's understandable right now.

So get away from the game for awhile. Skip the French Open, for sure. Perhaps even skip Wimbledon and the rest of the season if need be. Start back playing challengers and qualifiers if he has to to get back into main draws. But don't go back on the court until you are a happy warrior and want nothing more than to be there. Perhaps dropping out of the top 50 will get the spotlight and all the expectations off him, and then perhaps he can play the game for the joy it brings him.

Ivan Lendl once said that there was never a day in his life when he went onto the tennis court that he didn't enjoy it. It's got to be the same way for Gasquet if he ever wants to accomplish big things in the sport.

BeHappy
05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
luis horna is a quality player, nothing to be ashamed of imo

Gasquetrules
05-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Horna is a quality clay-court player who has a record of upsetting top-tenners on clay. But Gasquet made only a half-hearted effort in the second set. And after he got a bad call from the chair umpire midway in the second, he began to deliberately end the points as quickly as possible --usually going for deliberate errors.

In a press interview, Gasquet said that while Horna was a good player, anybody could have beaten him on court that day. He just was no longer enjoying the game.

Gasquet needs to take a break from the tour.

Gasquetrules
05-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Andy Roddick's career was looking quite shaky a couple summers ago. Roddick was lost and out of the top ten. Jimbo sure gave Andy his mojo back.

Maybe Connors could help Gasquet.

But then there's the language problem. Connors doesn't speak French, and Gasquet's English is no better than Nadal's.

Still, it's a thought.

Babb
05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
^^^^
Pros can pay for translators, I'm sure...

maverick66
05-07-2008, 06:58 AM
i think the commentator said it best when he said"the problem with gasquet is tennis comes so easy to him so when he is forced to compete he just packs it in." this statement sums up most of the younger talented guys. they are so good from a young age that tey dont learn how to fight for matches and when things dont go there way they quit. and gasquet is not the only one to pull this crap most of his genaration of players do this all the time. thats what makes federer and nadal so good. no matter what u throw at them there gonna compete and fight for points.