PDA

View Full Version : Navack Yackavick

BkK_b0y14
05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Hahahaa, this news reporter totally butchers Novak's name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrTGrkH9yHY&feature=related

tennisplayer1981
05-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Haha...I played with this guy one time who hailed from the MW (Chicago area) and his accent was so thick. He kept on pronouncing Djoko's name "Jock-A-vitch".

naturallylefty
05-06-2008, 07:34 PM
it's reechard gasquet! because he is french!

and daveed ferrer because he is spanish!

Cup8489
05-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Haha...I played with this guy one time who hailed from the MW (Chicago area) and his accent was so thick. He kept on pronouncing Djoko's name "Jock-A-vitch".

actually, just about everyone was pronouncing it like that in the announcers early last year, even Johnnie Mac. but Djokovic corrected them so now they pronounce it properly

spiritdragon
05-06-2008, 08:21 PM
lol, funny. tho i heard navack nyackovick but it may just be me.

Vision84
05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Haha that is funny. She got his name way off. I used to pronounce his name Dock-ah-vitch cause that is how all the announcers pronounced it.

Andres
05-07-2008, 05:04 AM
I still hear spanish announcers pronounce it Dee-oko-vich, just like the J in Ljubicic.

The Dj is the anglicized version of the letter Đ, which sounds sort of like the italian Gi (as in giuseppe)

It'll roughly be pronounced like Jock-o-vich.

gj011
05-07-2008, 06:38 AM
I still hear spanish announcers pronounce it Dee-oko-vich, just like the J in Ljubicic.

The Dj is the anglicized version of the letter Đ, which sounds sort of like the italian Gi (as in giuseppe)

It'll roughly be pronounced like Jock-o-vich.

That is correct. The first letter is a soft version of english first sound in say George or John, and the last one is a soft version of english "ch" in Charles for example.

Andres
05-07-2008, 06:41 AM
I think the ć is more like Charles, while the č is a softer version. Of course, I'm just talking by ear ;)

Mario Ančić: First c is softer the last c ;)

rommil
05-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Hahahaa, this news reporter totally butchers Novak's name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrTGrkH9yHY&feature=related

He got it right. Especially Nole's mother, she especially is a Yackavick.

gj011
05-07-2008, 06:50 AM
No. č is hard verison and ć is soft. Also dž is hard version (like in George) and dj or Đ soft (like in Giuseppe).

Ančić - first is hard second is soft. Good example :)

Of course this is in latin alphabet used in Croatia mostly. Serbian use cyrilic alphabet similar to Russian, but we don't want to go there now ;)

Here is Novak's name spelled in Serbian: Новак Ђоковић

eagle
05-07-2008, 07:05 AM
How about Cliff Drysdale pronouncing Nadal's first name as "Ruffy-el".

r,
eagle

Andres
05-07-2008, 07:19 AM
No. č is hard verison and ć is soft. Also dž is hard version (like in George) and dj or Đ soft (like in Giuseppe).

Ančić - first is hard second is soft. Good example :)

Of course this is in latin alphabet used in Croatia mostly. Serbian use cyrilic alphabet similar to Russian, but we don't want to go there now ;)

Here is Novak's name spelled in Serbian: Новак Ђоковић
Ahhh, thanks, it's good to know!

It still bugs me the way announcers pronounce Goran's name. It's Ivanišević (ivanishevich), not Ivanisevic, for god's sake!

Vision84
05-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Ahhh, thanks, it's good to know!

It still bugs me the way announcers pronounce Goran's name. It's Ivanišević (ivanishevich), not Ivanisevic, for god's sake!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Yr4dk2pxUA :)