PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the one that gets better result or the one that feels better?

Golden Retriever
01-12-2005, 05:57 AM
If you had a choice of two racquets, one feels good to hit with and one doesn't feel good but gives better result. Which one would you choose? Providing the difference is not huge.

Ronaldo
01-12-2005, 06:07 AM
Love to play with a Head PC but my 2nd serve is a lollipop and volleys stink. Accept this and now use Volkl CAT 1. Compromise is a Head LM Instinct Tour XL but volleys with this stick are suspect too.

el_mago
01-12-2005, 06:08 AM
My answer is the racquet that that feels good to hit with gives me the better result.

Mies
01-12-2005, 07:24 AM
I have to agree with el_mago but I want to add something. If you have proper strokes, you can probably play with anything (within the same racket category of course) and then feel is the important factor. Personally, I select a frame that feels nice (balance point, flex, power etc.) and if I hit one specific stroke badly with it, then I will work on that stroke with that racket. If you are not willing to put the work in to be able to play with what you find the most comfortable, then you should pick another frame, but personally I feel that's the easy way out.

Get the frame that feels best and improve your technique so that your results will be ok. At least that's my 2 cents.

Regards

joe sch
01-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Since my income does not depend upon my results on the court, I play equipment that is best for my body in the long term so that I can play tennis as long as possible. This holds true for both rackets and string. I would get the best power and control playing a prostaff 6.0, tour 90 or ncode with all high tension poly strings but this would cause my arm (shoulder & elbow) injuries in the short term, so I will atleast blend in natural gut at a lower tension and play softer rackets.

Golden Retriever
01-12-2005, 08:16 AM
I have to agree with el_mago but I want to add something. If you have proper strokes, you can probably play with anything (within the same racket category of course) and then feel is the important factor. Personally, I select a frame that feels nice (balance point, flex, power etc.) and if I hit one specific stroke badly with it, then I will work on that stroke with that racket. If you are not willing to put the work in to be able to play with what you find the most comfortable, then you should pick another frame, but personally I feel that's the easy way out.

Get the frame that feels best and improve your technique so that your results will be ok. At least that's my 2 cents.

Regards

It is a hypothetical question so pls just play along. Well, actually I have the exact problem in real life, I like the feel of the Head Radical (and a few other standard length racquets)but its standard length and the relatively dense pattern are counterproductive to my 2HBH and serve (both 1st and 2nd.) I like a longer frame for my 2HBH and 1st serve, and a open pattern to generate spin for my 2nd serve. I am now playing with the Prince Scream which I don't like to hit with but my serves and backhand clearly are better using it. So my vote is for the racquet that gets the better result.

el_mago
01-12-2005, 08:19 AM
It is a hypothetical question so pls just play along. Well, actually I have the exact problem in real life, I like the feel of the Head Radical (and a few other standard length racquets)but its standard length and the relatively dense pattern are counterproductive to my 2HBH and serve (both 1st and 2nd.) I like a longer frame for my 2HBH and 1st serve, and a open pattern to generate spin for my 2nd serve. I am now playing with the Prince Scream which I don't like to hit with but my serves and backhand clearly are better using it. So my vote is for the racquet that gets the better result.

Then my vote goes to the racquet that gives the better result.

ferrari_827
01-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Good question.

I agree with el_mago, the racket which feels best to you is the one you are going to play best with eventually. If it was a toss-up between a racket which was good on all strokes but didn't feel good and one which felt great but slightly lacking in one stroke, I'd easily take the good-feeling racket and adapt my mechanics to improve the one stroke.

I do believe if you have good mechanics, you can adapt to any good racket, but people with poorer mechanics are the ones who are forced to be more selective in their choices.

Mies
01-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Amen ferrari (you more or less rephrased my post :)......)

bigserving
01-12-2005, 08:54 AM
I have played Dunlop frames for a long time. I have always got my best tournament results with Dunlops. Along the way, I have tried other frames. Wilson frames usually feel better to me.

Since competitive tennis is results oriented to me, I will stick with Dunlops.

b.
01-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Good feel gives me the inspiration, makes me concentrate easier... (= better playing).

Feel.

ferrari_827
01-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Also the good-feeling racket doesn't get me as annoyed or upset when I'm not playing well or badly.

With something like an RDXmid or RDTi70 long, just looking at the frame feels good and I certainly don't blame the frame on a bad day.

Now with something like a POG mid or Wilson HPS6.1, on a bad tennis day, I'd probably want to smash the racket and blame the stick for everything (!)

Serve-And-Volley
01-12-2005, 10:03 AM
I use the one that feels the best. I can't play with a racquet that feels akward or it will through off my game.. badly I have to be very comfortable on the court.

danniflava
01-12-2005, 11:14 AM
I think that in order to have the best results with a racquet, your racquet has to feel good to hold.

skuludo
01-12-2005, 11:07 PM
That is simple. Modify the grip shape somehow. And you'll have the same grip shape and size for all brands of rackets out there.

sandro
01-13-2005, 06:32 AM
Providing the difference is not huge... I'd go for results.