PDA

View Full Version : Gilles Simon

johnny ballgame
05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Gilles Simon has solid game.

Great 2H backhand, a spitting image of Safin's. Excellent mover. Forehand is not as strong but is sometimes dangerous. Pretty good first serve, pretty weak second serve. Not a bad finisher at the net.

I expect him to be consistently in the top 20 during the next 3-4 years. A little luck and he could see the top 10.

Thoughts?

BeHappy
05-06-2008, 07:32 PM
davydenko clone, absolutely MASSIVE forehand.

johnny ballgame
05-06-2008, 07:50 PM
davydenko clone, absolutely MASSIVE forehand.

Interesting. I personally find his game much more entertaining than Davy's. And I'm positive that his backhand is better than his forehand (although you're right that he will occasionally UNLOAD on the forehand).

Gugafan
05-07-2008, 06:52 AM
Im watching him play against Bolleli now. Both seem talented ball strikers, simon particularly has some impressive wheels.

Haha dont u think Simon has an uncanny resemblence with Joaquin Phoenix.

johnny ballgame
07-21-2008, 06:31 PM

Great 2H backhand, a spitting image of Safin's. Excellent mover. Forehand is not as strong but is sometimes dangerous. Pretty good first serve, pretty weak second serve. Not a bad finisher at the net.

I expect him to be consistently in the top 20 during the next 3-4 years. A little luck and he could see the top 10.

Not a bad call, eh? I never miss an opportunity to pat myself on the back. ;)

johnny ballgame
07-23-2008, 07:32 PM
And one more time, patting myself on the back for calling the rise of Simon!

consistency wins
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
And one more time, patting myself on the back for calling the rise of Simon!

And I would pat yourself on the back as well. Your original posting of this thread speaks volumes. Well done.

kungfusmkim
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
There is one problem with these kind of players, They can only play one style. They cant serve and volley, they cant play counter puncher.

kungfusmkim
07-23-2008, 07:38 PM
See everything in his game is just pretty,
Pretty decent bakchand
Pretty decent forehand that can be dangerous at times
Pretty good first serve
Pretty good touch at net.
IMO in the tour today just pretty doesnt cut it, they need to have something thats sharp and thatll never get dull that makes them stand out.

kungfusmkim
07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Federer has his monster kick serve and his forehand.
Nadal has his running ability and and his spin speciality.
Djokovic is known for his backhand where it never fall apart
Ferrer is known for his forehand
Davydenko has his speed on the court that allows him to reach every ball possible.
Roddick has his huge forehand and his serve
Nalbandian is known for his fast backhand and his ability to use angles.
Blake is known for his forehand thats flat which makes him very unique
Murray has his net skills gained from double and his backhand
Wawrinka i havent even seen him play once so i cant say...

Fedace
07-23-2008, 07:50 PM
He has a really NICE return game so he has a way of frustrating guys with big serves..

AT92292
07-23-2008, 08:23 PM
he just beat federer

Nadal_Monfils
07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Federer has his monster kick serve and his forehand.
Nadal has his running ability and and his spin speciality.
Djokovic is known for his backhand where it never fall apart
Ferrer is known for his forehand
Davydenko has his speed on the court that allows him to reach every ball possible.
Roddick has his huge forehand and his serve
Nalbandian is known for his fast backhand and his ability to use angles.
Blake is known for his forehand thats flat which makes him very unique
Murray has his net skills gained from double and his backhand
Wawrinka i havent even seen him play once so i cant say...

Wawrinka has a great backhand, that's his shot.

sillymonkey
07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Interesting. I personally find his game much more entertaining than Davy's. And I'm positive that his backhand is better than his forehand (although you're right that he will occasionally UNLOAD on the forehand).

Me too.
Wish he'd get a bit stronger, he seems a bit slight. He could definitely do with improving his serve.

hector
07-23-2008, 09:41 PM
His is the modern version of Brad Gilbert and must read winning ugly before going to bed each night.

He is a smart player with limited weapons for a top 20 player.

consistency wins
07-23-2008, 09:50 PM
There is one problem with these kind of players, They can only play one style. They cant serve and volley, they cant play counter puncher.

You're nuts....:-?

Halba
07-23-2008, 09:53 PM
this guy is top 10 maybe top 5

he play percentages nicely, and is better than roddick and ferrer on hard

mdjenders
07-23-2008, 09:53 PM

lol. if simon isn't a counter puncher, I dont know who is. he doesn't have a "massive" forehand either, just a rock solid backhand and a mediocre forehand that add up to an unspectacular, yet effective baseline counterpunch game.

a couple decent results do not make him anywhere near top 5 material.

consistency wins
07-23-2008, 09:59 PM
lol. if simon isn't a counter puncher, I dont know who is. he doesn't have a "massive" forehand either, just a rock solid backhand and a mediocre forehand that add up to an unspectacular, yet effective baseline counterpunch game.

a couple decent results do not make him anywhere near top 5 material.

You are right--he's not top 5 material yet.

janipyt05
07-23-2008, 10:34 PM
No i disagree, just because he can put it together a few times doesn't mean his a great player, when playing well he produces but often doesn't play well hence is 26/16 this year, he is not a consistent player but he is rising because he wins in dribs and drabs thats not someone who can stay in the top 20 because you have to have win more consistently.

No way is this guy top 10 top or top 5, are you for real, how many people in the top 10 have come and gone, Gonzalez was in the top 10 not there any more, Tommy Robredo, Gasquet was in the top 10, Murray is in the out then in again, Nalbandian is another not that consistent all great players but you just need to be far more consistent to maintain a top 10 or even top 5 place, the only consistent players are the top 6 thats through out the year not just on one surface or on a gd run which is what Gilles Simon is on, do you remember Tsonga, he was supposed to be top 10 material but since getting to the Aus Open final it was been very quiet apprently his injured how i don't know when he has hardly played.

Ocean Drive
07-24-2008, 03:53 AM
Spitting image of Safin's, haha, very funny, considering he doesn't hit it half as hard and it isn't half as good either quite frankly.

Ocean Drive
07-24-2008, 04:10 AM
See everything in his game is just pretty,
Pretty decent bakchand
Pretty decent forehand that can be dangerous at times
Pretty good first serve
Pretty good touch at net.
IMO in the tour today just pretty doesnt cut it, they need to have something thats sharp and thatll never get dull that makes them stand out.

Your opinion is not opinion it is fact and it is indeed wrong. You are saying he doesn't cut it but he is top 20 and moving up further most likely.

And I must say I laughed when you said "Murray's net skills" in which that is what he is known for...

:-?

Sentinel
07-24-2008, 04:18 AM

Thoughts?
OP, do you rate him better than the many other not so famous french players who have been doing quite well of late. There's a bunch of them .. cant remember all the names ... phm, bennetau, ... mahut ... clement ... (not counting Tsonga who is down).

Tarsier
07-24-2008, 04:43 AM
Some time earlier this year at some tourney Fed tore apart some French guy (don't remember who and where exactly) and said later in his interview that he took a special pleasure in beating the Frenchmen. Could it be Simon who took offence? Lol. I guess he's the first French to beat Roger since Gasquet.:):)

johnny ballgame
07-24-2008, 05:46 AM
OP, do you rate him better than the many other not so famous french players who have been doing quite well of late.

Good question and I'm not sure. I've said in other posts that I am big fan of the current crop of French players. They are all somewhat different yet very entertaining in my opinion. PH-Mathieu, Monfils, Tsonga, Gasquet, Simon... all fun to watch. Of course Santoro is fun too.

It's a shame they haven't been able to 'get it done' in the slams though. Really that's been the story of French tennis for a long time now.

johnny ballgame
07-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Spitting image of Safin's, haha, very funny, considering he doesn't hit it half as hard and it isn't half as good either quite frankly.

Take a look at the mechanics. It is a spot-on match, perfectly identical. Straight legs when going down the line, all the power coming from the left hand, same takeback and follow through. Jumping backhand on balls above the shoulder.

Sure, Safin gets more power but the mechanics are the same.

hector
07-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Gilles will not stay in top 20. If he can stay in top 50 that would be a very good result given his potential. In the past few matches he has had the advantage that when seeded players meet him in the draw they thought they had an easy win. Then when he would start to grind it out they would get frusterated and fall apart. Now players know exactly what to expect and will not get as frusterated.

FedAndNad
07-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Im watching him play against Bolleli now. Both seem talented ball strikers, simon particularly has some impressive wheels.

Haha dont u think Simon has an uncanny resemblence with Joaquin Phoenix.

extreme resemblance. Could be twins.

matchmaker
07-26-2008, 04:05 PM
I watched the entire match between Kiefer and Simon today and it is in fact difficult not to see Simon as a sort of retriever.

But that makes it so difficult to win against him. I won't spoil the result of their semi. Kiefer had spells of many unforced errors and at other times of brilliant points. Simon is the type of player who doesn't make the match. It is his opponent who sets the pace. In fact to win against Simon you don't have to beat him but rather yourself to avoid making too many UEs. So for once when Federer said the reason for his loss is he just did not play good enough I believe him. Simon does not really have arms. He will be for a time around the top 20 but IMO he will never win an important tournament. Just like Michael Chang after his RG victory I don't think any one would fear him. Yes any one would consider him a difficult opponent but then again the top players know that when they are on they don't really have to be afraid of him: he doesn't make the game.

consistency wins
07-26-2008, 06:57 PM
I watched the entire match between Kiefer and Simon today and it is in fact difficult not to see Simon as a sort of retriever.

But that makes it so difficult to win against him. I won't spoil the result of their semi. Kiefer had spells of many unforced errors and at other times of brilliant points. Simon is the type of player who doesn't make the match. It is his opponent who sets the pace. In fact to win against Simon you don't have to beat him but rather yourself to avoid making too many UEs. So for once when Federer said the reason for his loss is he just did not play good enough I believe him. Simon does not really have arms. He will be for a time around the top 20 but IMO he will never win an important tournament. Just like Michael Chang after his RG victory I don't think any one would fear him. Yes any one would consider him a difficult opponent but then again the top players know that when they are on they don't really have to be afraid of him: he doesn't make the game.

Isn't the Fed a top player?

vbranis
07-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Personally, I think it's about time for Brad Gilbert to start pronouncing his name correctly <see-moan>. Why does he keep saying it like "Simon says" when he knows it's incorrect? In my opinion, it's a bit disrespectful and just plain stupid. You're a commentator, one of the duties is learning the names and pronouncing them correctly. Anyone else agree?

Max G.
07-26-2008, 08:35 PM
. Anyone else agree?

Yep, I completely agree.

At Wimbledon, someone pointed out to him that he was saying it wrong. He basically told the guy to get lost, that he'll keep saying it however he feels like. It was very disrespectful, I thought.

matchmaker
07-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Isn't the Fed a top player?

I said that when a top player is on he should not have to fear Simon because Simon doesn't really have arms. Obviously Federer was not on the day Simon beat him and made too many unforced errors. But I doubt this would happen if Simon and Federer got to play a GS final against each other.

friedalo1
07-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Very consistent, Doesnt hit the ball as hard as Safin.

fridrix
07-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Why does he keep saying it like "Simon says" when he knows it's incorrect?

Maybe because he's speaking English and not French or another language? :???:

sillymonkey
07-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Personally, I think it's about time for Brad Gilbert to start pronouncing his name correctly <see-moan>. Why does he keep saying it like "Simon says" when he knows it's incorrect? In my opinion, it's a bit disrespectful and just plain stupid. You're a commentator, one of the duties is learning the names and pronouncing them correctly. Anyone else agree?

He does that alot. I think he thinks he's being cute.

Breaker
07-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Don't quite know what to think of Simon after this.

http://ma-tvideo.france3.fr/video/iLyROoaft6o8.html

Guess I'm a fan :)

punch
07-27-2008, 03:18 PM

LOL! wtf..

sillymonkey
07-27-2008, 03:22 PM
HA! that is some hot french toast!

iphoneman
07-27-2008, 03:28 PM
he just beat Federer

It is an accomplishment for him, but I still don't think this guy has skill. Its good to beat Federer, but I don't think of it as a shock anymore. His backhand has fallen apart, the amount of shanks on his forehand has increased tremendously, and he's not moving as well as before. That said, I don't think Simon will go farther. Last year, Federer lost to Volandri. I understand that it was on clay but Federer should have won, and didn't. Thus, we never heard the name of Volandri in a newspaper again. He's decent, but he will not become any more successful, and I think Simon will be the same. I couldn't even call him a one hit wonder like Marcos. I watched him play Cilic and then Keifer live, and I have to admit that his game is very dull. I wouldn't exactly call him a pusher, but he was never the one in the control of the points, regardless of if he was winning or losing. He always let the opponent take the lead and he would just rally back. He has no weapon, his game is just ordinary. I don't think he will make it far.

Purostaff
07-27-2008, 03:48 PM
He looks like a typical counterpuncher to me.

johnny ballgame
07-27-2008, 04:09 PM
If he can stay in top 50 that would be a very good result given his potential..

Hello? He has basically been in the top 50 for a full TWO YEARS now.

07-27-2008, 07:09 PM
He looks like a typical counterpuncher to me.

Yes, a smooth counter puncher with a 95 mph FH that looked so easy I couldn't believe it was that fast.
I'd bet on top 10 or 15 at the least. (if he stays healthy of course, which I think he will)

baek57
07-27-2008, 09:18 PM

..... speechless.

Kid Carlos
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
A player of the month article for Simon at http://theatpblog.com/home/?p=159

Don Felder
08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I just don't like this guy. He doesn't even compare to someone like Hewitt, who I quite like. The Federer match was atrocious. Federer should have been up TWO breaks in the third, missed a complete duck of a BH volley at his ad at 3-1. It should have been one of those, "Ah, Fed killed him in the first, got bored in the second, then regrouped in the third" type of things. Federer was inexplicably bad in the pressure moments of that match.

Kiefer played terrible and still beat him in the semis.

Complete lack of pace and variety. Not good enough to cut the mustard.

TheTruth
08-06-2008, 01:44 PM

I agree. It's not funny. It's just plain irritating, especially when you've been told on numerous occasions. Wonder how he'd feel if someone took it upon themselves to call him Brad Gulbert. Bet he wouldn't like it at all.

johnny ballgame
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Complete lack of pace and variety. Not good enough to cut the mustard.

Lack of pace? Yes, on the forehand and the second serve. Lack of variety? No, not Gilles Simon. He mixes it up as well as anyone this side of Andy Murray.

TheTruth
08-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Simon's greatest asset?

He's not afraid of the big moment.

That will do him well.

johnny ballgame
10-20-2008, 01:06 PM

Thoughts?

Okay, maybe one last pat on the back with this call... ;)

TheTruth
10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Okay, maybe one last pat on the back with this call... ;)

Pat...pat...I was with you all the way! I know talent when I see it. I think his biggest asset is his mental strength. It's so good to see hard core competitors on the tour again.

Fedace
10-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Simon's flat shots comes at you very quickly. it looks like it is coming at certain speed but when you go to hit it, it is faster than you think it is.

J-man
10-21-2008, 05:57 PM
The guy has a hell of a wheel house on his back hand. He has got the same variety off of that side as Murray. Heck of a backhand. Work on improving the serve and forehand and we've got the next big French player

pepe01
10-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Thoughts?

Guilles Simon is master of tactics, and game plan, he is doing something that is so dificult change of rithm, he is passing ball with good angles and slowing velocity, and then ZAZZZ big shot.

We going to heard more from this guy on future.

There is something else, he smiles, thatīs very good point , when you enjoy your job, you are on right side.

Regards