PDA

View Full Version : Active Players You Thought Were Destined For Greatness But Who Fizzled Instead

Cindysphinx
05-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Biggest disappointment for me: Lubijic. How the heck does that guy flame out at all the majors and then drop out of sight? I don't get it. I will never get it.

LeftyServe
05-07-2008, 10:57 AM
First, let's define "greatness."

superman1
05-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Eh, none of them. I never thought for a second Ljubicic was going to be great, even when he was an insanely good Davis Cupper. I was surprised how horribly he did in the Slams, but I never expected him to win them anyway.

There are players who I thought would have done more by now - Gasquet and Andy Murray for example.

Cindysphinx
05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
"Greatness" = Win a major or become No. 1 in the world

joeri888
05-07-2008, 11:33 AM

Than I'd say no one, and am surprised Djokovic already has one, because I expected Rafa and Roger to devide the slams between the two of them

PCXL-Fan
05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
There are players who I thought would have done more by now - Gasquet and Andy Murray for example.

I don't really see why Murray was hailed as one of the next greats. I saw back in the end of 06 Djokovic had potential, definitely moreso than Murray, but all eyes of the media including people on this forum were centered on Murray.

Gasquet is good but he's no #1. Possibly reaching Top 2 or 3 temporarily but not consistantly.

I thought Marat Safin would have done more by now... but he's fading out... I guess he's losing confidence.

lambielspins
05-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Safin could be considered to have had a great career I guess, but could have done alot more with his ability. When he won that U.S Open in 2000 I thought he would go on to win a minimum of 6 slams.

Haas I once though was really going to be a great player and he never became. Same with Phillippoussis.

Alberto Mancini was a bigtime up and coming clay courter in the late 80s. He never panned out to be what I thought he would be. In 89 he beat Becker to win Monte Carlo and Agassi to win Rome, and was one of the favorites for the French but lost to Edberg in the quarters.

coloskier
05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
When Taylor Dent first came out people thought he had a chance at Wimbledon and USO. Back injuries are a b**h.

Cup8489
05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
James Blake. when he came back on tour after the injury and everything else, i remember everyone was like 'DUDE this guy's got the US Open, i swear'. poor blake.

deme08
05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Nalbandian and Gasquet!

Gasquet still has time to prove himself. Nalbandian's clock is ticking however.

Greenfin Beta
05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Coria? But is he still active?

Kaptain Karl
05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Safin and Henman ... and on the WTA side, Molik.

- KK

Vision84
05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I expected more from Haas and Phillipousis but they were both plagued by injuries. Dent as well when I first saw him play Hewitt and take him to 5 sets. Phillipousis never really worked on conditioning so his body got injured easily. Not sure about the other two.

coloskier
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
I expected more from Haas and Phillipousis but they were both plagued by injuries. Dent as well when I first saw him play Hewitt and take him to 5 sets. Phillipousis never really worked on conditioning so his body got injured easily. Not sure about the other two.

Dent, bad back
Haas, no shoulder left to speak of

LeftyServe
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
It's very tough to consider current players in such a way when we're in the era of Federer dominating so thoroughly on grass and hard, and Nadal dominating on clay.

AndrewD
05-08-2008, 12:12 AM

Apart from Federer, Nadal and Safin, absolutely none of them. I truthfully never thought Hewitt would do as well as he has and I'm still surprised Roddick was able to win a major. Apart from that, I don't think there's anyone currently playing who made me feel they were destined for greatness (thought Nalbandian would do better but never as #1).

my_forehand
05-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Safin could be considered to have had a great career I guess, but could have done alot more with his ability. When he won that U.S Open in 2000 I thought he would go on to win a minimum of 6 slams.

Haas I once though was really going to be a great player and he never became. Same with Phillippoussis.

Alberto Mancini was a bigtime up and coming clay courter in the late 80s. He never panned out to be what I thought he would be. In 89 he beat Becker to win Monte Carlo and Agassi to win Rome, and was one of the favorites for the French but lost to Edberg in the quarters.

I always thought Haas was going to be great. Oh well.

- KK

Henman?

Arrows
05-08-2008, 02:23 AM

- KK

Yes, I agree about Molik. And Li Na, too.

Arrows
"No, it's Wigner's friend."

Cindysphinx
05-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Li Na????????????????

origmarm
05-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Safin, Nalbandian, Henman, Rios

pound cat
05-08-2008, 03:24 AM
Safin, Nalbandian, Henman, Rios

Greatness? Safin according to Pete Sampras after he won USO.

Tennis has been a difficult thing for Safin since that fateful win.

laurie
05-08-2008, 03:28 AM
Ivan Ljubicic was never destined for greatness. He got too far up the rankings - he has no real movement, I call him the lumberjack.

That sort of player never wins big tournaments.

origmarm
05-08-2008, 03:41 AM
Greatness? Safin according to Pete Sampras after he won USO.

Tennis has been a difficult thing for Safin since that fateful win.

Agreed, I really thought he was going to be a big thing for a while. Unfortunate as it's all up top, if he had got his head in gear who knows what might have been

Tempest344
05-08-2008, 03:44 AM
Molik for sure
that ear infection really did her over

also Gaudio

HyperHorse
05-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Kuerten, Rios, Kafelnikov, Rafter, Ivanisevic..
All could have done better in the slams.

ATXtennisaddict
05-08-2008, 05:26 AM
Yeah, Ivan just fizzled. He was pretty decent 2-3 years back.

But he wasn't "destined for greatness".

daddy
05-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Active ? Monfils. I thought after his 2004 juniors season where he failed just short of winning a grand slam ( would be 2nd ever after 1983 Edbergs ) in Juniors by a virtue of injury in USO for boys - I really thought he's going to dominate the game. Various shots, shotmaking quality, serve of high quality and great volleys on grass, yet able to stay 10 feet behind on clay and play great.

However he is French.

dirtballer
05-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Mancini and Berasategi (sp?)

cujays
05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
mark philoposus
sorry for the spelling

Vision84
05-08-2008, 03:03 PM
The British put huge expectations on Henman at Wimbledon. Every year was supposed to be his year and yet he never got past the semis. he was in a record consecutive second weeks at Wimbledon though. I think he was just lacking the firepower to be able to beat players like Sampras there.

tkauffm
05-08-2008, 03:08 PM
However he is French.

Good point! I thought he was going to make some moves too. He's just so athletic. Another Frenchman who's not living up to the hype is Gasquet. He just doesn't seem to want it. Of course Safin has got to be one of the biggest disappointments. He and Fed could have had a good rivalry if he kept his game up. What about Jimmy Arias? People were expecting great things from him

Batoussai
05-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Molik for sure
that ear infection really did her over

also Gaudio

We defined greatness in the beginning of the thread as:

N1 or Winning a slam

Thus...

Gaudio won a slam. Not exactly greatness but he did win one. Not underachieving when you can say you won RG.

roundiesee
05-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Expected Xavier Malisse and Mario Ancic to do well especially in Slams but unfortunately never materialised. The closest they got was Wimby semis I think but never better than this.

pound cat
05-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Agreed, I really thought he was going to be a big thing for a while. Unfortunate as it's all up top, if he had got his head in gear who knows what might have been

On the other hand, his on-court attraction is largely because of his quirky, unpredictable, crazy mentality on the court, and without it he'd just be another run of the mill tennis hunk who won a couple of slams out of nowhere.

His out of gear head + his talent = the charismatic, frustrating Safin package loved by millions.

With one half of the equation miissing, he just wouldn't be Safin.

orangettecoleman
05-08-2008, 09:59 PM
I saw the 2004 Winbledon match with Ancic and Fed and was like "holy crap this Ancic kid is awesome, he has to win this in the next year or two!" haha OH WELL

127mph
05-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, I will mention someone who had talent and did absolutely nothing. Hicham Arazi. He honestly hated professional tennis and got sick of it, but he had game for sure.

Arrows
05-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Li Na????????????????

Yes. Untimely rib injury...*sniff*. I'm Chinese and I need someone to support.

Arrows
"No, it's Wigner's friend."

origmarm
05-09-2008, 01:13 AM
On the other hand, his on-court attraction is largely because of his quirky, unpredictable, crazy mentality on the court, and without it he'd just be another run of the mill tennis hunk who won a couple of slams out of nowhere.

His out of gear head + his talent = the charismatic, frustrating Safin package loved by millions.

With one half of the equation miissing, he just wouldn't be Safin.

That's very true, in a way that's part of why I used to love to watch Ivanisevic playing also. I guess I would have just loved to see more of the amazing but erratic talent, more "on" days if you will. I just loved the raw agression of his earlier play, pure attack

tennissavy
05-09-2008, 03:26 AM
I have a feeling that, when this topic comes up again some day, we will be adding Murray to the list.

Crisp
05-09-2008, 04:26 AM
I didnt think he was destined for greatness but a few years ago i kept putting money on Nalbandian to win a slam, i thought it was just a matter of time. he still has achance i guess( tic-toc tic-toc)

boris becker 1
05-09-2008, 05:36 AM
safin

ancic

robredo

fantom
05-09-2008, 05:49 AM
With all of the negativity on these boards, I'm surprised Federer (08 results) and Nadal (blister issue) haven't been added to this thread.

Wimbledunn
05-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Rios and Gasquet

in five years: Gulbis, Monfils

jamesblakefan#1
05-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Baghdatis, Monfils. Vaidisova. Gilles Mueller after he beat Roddick.

BeHappy
05-09-2008, 10:01 AM
kendrick .

Sticklacer
05-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Philippoussis - would have bet he would have won at least one Wimby

icazares
05-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Nalbandian. He should have won a number of slams. Marcelo Rios, very disappointing career from my point of view.

boredone3456
05-09-2008, 10:56 AM
men

Safin- ok he won a slam...but it was apparently a fluke as he hasnt done anything since then.

Nalbandian- what the heck is with him...he doesn't know how to close the deal consistantly

Women

Severine Bremond- Miracle run to Wimbledon quarters, pushed Henin in the quarters...and then poof she drops of the face of the earth, proverbially speaking

Karolina Sprem- has the potential...but with all her injuries I doubt it.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Philippoussis is one of the biggest I thought would really stay up there with the best of them. One kept always hoping he'd come back strong, but there always was an injury or distractions or something that interfered.

Berdych, but he's young yet along with Gulbis.

Miami Tiburon
05-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I think we should call this the Jimmy Arias
Award.Monfills and some of the names I have seen like Gasquet still to early to tell.

Nellie
05-09-2008, 07:14 PM
This thread has me thinking of players over the years - I never thought Ivanovic would be much of a player - but now that I watch her - she is a stone cold killer on the court. that finisher mentality is what you need to be great, and many do not have it. You just watch Berdich, and you know he cannot win (that deer in headlights look). Same thing with Clisters when she played.

tennissavy
05-09-2008, 08:06 PM
men

Safin- ok he won a slam...but it was apparently a fluke as he hasnt done anything since then.

Nalbandian- what the heck is with him...he doesn't know how to close the deal consistantly

Women

Severine Bremond- Miracle run to Wimbledon quarters, pushed Henin in the quarters...and then poof she drops of the face of the earth, proverbially speaking

Karolina Sprem- has the potential...but with all her injuries I doubt it.

Safin won more than a slam.

flyer
05-09-2008, 09:26 PM
def baghdatis, verdasco. i alwaus cheer for them because i like them and they are great ball strikers that i dont really feel have any physical weaknesses or limitations, they are headcases though....still i really like watching them play and always root for them

for the girls def sprem, shes so fun to watch, i remeber when she first beat venus at wimbledon, i was sure she'd have won a couple slams by now, unfortunatley not, still i cheer for her when i hear about her

HeadPrestige
05-09-2008, 10:38 PM
men

t.

he won 2 slams, and achieved the # one ranking. No one considers it a fluke... he just went down hill because of his mental game and injuries. Yes he could have done MUCH more, and many thought he would... but he still had a pretty good career.