PDA

View Full Version : Do you use customized or off the shelf?

Nubarron
01-12-2005, 07:51 AM
I wonder how many of you customize your sticks. If so, what do you do to customize and why (add weight to head for Power etc.).

Gaines Hillix
01-12-2005, 09:15 AM
I have found no rule of thumb here. It depends on the frame. Not all of my sticks have needed it. If the racquet feels to head light and unstable on heavy paced balls or volleys I'll add a little weight at 3/9 and counter balance it in the handle. I've tailweighted a few hammer racquets to bring them to a head light balance.

jayserinos99
01-12-2005, 09:52 AM
^ i agree with that completely. some of it also has to do with personal preference too; some people just like really heavy frames and will compensate for a bit of lead tape.

tennisboy87
01-12-2005, 03:47 PM
I use a stock Wilson HPS 6.1 MP.

el_mago
01-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I play with an off the rack Prince NXG Graphite OS.

finchy
01-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I use my PS 6.0 95 customized. i put 12 oz of lead tape, equally distributed at 2, 4, 8, and 10. a pro recommended me to do that to expand the sweetspot and help stability. it has, but i have paid for it with pain in my wrist...

TripleBreakPoint
01-12-2005, 04:34 PM
I play with a NXG midplus. It feels just as good as any customized racquet.

Craig Sheppard
01-12-2005, 04:43 PM
I use a somewhat customized Fischer Pro Extreme FT. No lead tape, but I removed the stock grip and use only two overgrips on an L4 grip. It fits my hand size perfectly, and I like the more direct feeling.

Craig

BreakPoint
01-12-2005, 04:53 PM
I use a somewhat customized Fischer Pro Extreme FT.

Craig,

Have you gone back to the Fischer? I thought you had switched to the Slaz X-1. What happened?

Hit 'em clean
01-12-2005, 05:00 PM
I hit with a stock HPS 6.0 95 frame (Euro model). I usually end up placing a couple strips of lead tape at 3 & 9 for added stability. The result is a slightly heavier ball with more spin.

I have gone through the whole customization thing with tail weighting, but for some reason it never feels right to me. If I like a racquet overall the weight and balance has to be mfg off the shelf as close to what I want as possible. Any major changes to match some ideal never feels good to me. It feels like weight added to the racquet and not a solid mfg product. So, I just make small adjustments which don't ruin the feel.

devilish_duke
01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I play with stock POG mids, tho I might think about placing tape at 3 and 9 and counterweighing it in the butt soon. I also use a slightly customized NXG OS. It's got a cushy replacement grip over the stock one.

el_mago
01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
I play with stock POG mids, tho I might think about placing tape at 3 and 9 and counterweighing it in the butt soon. I also use a slightly customized NXG OS. It's got a cushy replacement grip over the stock one.

If you're talking about using a different grip then the store bought one, I am using the light blue tournagrip as an overgrip to my NXG OS. Other than that, my stick is not changed.

K!ck5w3rvE
01-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Stock Pro 1.

Power Game
01-12-2005, 05:22 PM
My racquets are all stock so far, except for the grips (I stretch them out and rip off the padding to make the grip smaller).

devilish_duke
01-12-2005, 05:42 PM
If you're talking about using a different grip then the store bought one, I am using the light blue tournagrip as an overgrip to my NXG OS. Other than that, my stick is not changed.

I meant I keep the NXG stock prince duratac grip on, and then I add a Gamma Pro RX grip over it.

PrestigeClassic
01-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Ideally, I'd add a leather grip, usually Tourna Grip on top if anything, and counterweight the grips by placing lead tape at the sides. I usually string with synthetic at first, then maybe a gut hybrid, before full gut, just to see what difference it all makes. I'd try power pads after a while, also to see the difference it makes.

el_mago
01-12-2005, 05:47 PM
I meant I keep the NXG stock prince duratac grip on, and then I add a Gamma Pro RX grip over it.

Same thing I did. Just wrapped the tournagrip over the stock duratec that was on the NXG.

Craig Sheppard
01-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Have you gone back to the Fischer? I thought you had switched to the Slaz X-1. What happened?

Yeah I have... I "switched" to the X1 (have 2) for the late summer and fall. I played about 6 matches and some hitting sessions with them, and just wasn't content with them. I just wasn't playing at the same level as with my Fischers. I posted a disguised thread about it a week or so ago, but I just found that the Fischer improved my game strengths (serve, forehand) more than the X1, and I tended to win more with the Fischer. The Extremes are kind of quirky, and I can't explain it because the X1s feel soooo good, but I just play better with the Extreme. If you can explain it, I'm all ears.

Craig

ADDENDUM: BP, another twist--after getting "readjusted" to the Extremes, my first two matches back and I win 2 long 3-set matches in a row. Think its psychological, but I've got more confidence with them.

Kirko
01-12-2005, 06:26 PM
off the shelf . I tried adding lead one time and got very confused. I use the Prestige Pro . It is perfect as it comes from the factory.

BreakPoint
01-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Craig,
I know exactly what you mean. People have told me that I play better with other racquets, like the Volkl Tour 10 MP, but I just love the feel of my PS 6.0 95s. So even though I might not be able to hit as hard nor as deep with my PS 6.0 95, I find it hard to give them up because of the sensation I get when I hit the ball with them. I might be able to win more matches with some of the other excellent racquets that I've demo-ed recently (e.g., Yonex RDX 500 Mid, Slaz Pro X-1, nSix-One Tour, Prince NXG, LM Radical MP, etc.) but NONE of them (with possibly the exception of the RDX 500 Mid) gives me the same heavenly feel of the PS 6.0 95. It's literally better than sex. :shock:

Craig Sheppard
01-12-2005, 07:29 PM
BP whoaaaaaaaaa I must not have demoed those PS 6.0 95s long enough! I hit with them a while ago and did like them a lot, but I figured they'd be gone in a few months--and here they are still around more than a year later. I shouldn't give the impression I *don't* like the Fischers, because I do... they are sooo comfortable, that it helps my whole arm (at least I think so mentally). And it always makes you like something more when you win with it. Doubts creep in making it hard to stick w/ them though when I look at those X1 beauties every day! <hitting self on head> what are these things women?! heh

Craig

Swan Song
01-12-2005, 07:37 PM
POG Mid with weight in the but and at 6 o'clock to add more overall weight. I used to use it off the shelf, but I thought it was a little cumbersome and light. Currently the weight is 360 grams or more.

Also if I ever get any other racquet, I would like it to be customized.

Craig Sheppard
01-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Also if I ever get any other racquet, I would like it to be customized.
You must be jonesin' for Vantage to start production... ;-)

Ryoma Kun
01-12-2005, 10:02 PM
I use my PS 6.0 95 customized. i put 12 oz of lead tape, equally distributed at 2, 4, 8, and 10. a pro recommended me to do that to expand the sweetspot and help stability. it has, but i have paid for it with pain in my wrist...

how do u wield such a stick??? that thing is 24 oz plus its SUPER head heavy.

OnyxZ28
01-12-2005, 10:11 PM
I think he meant 12g, which is still quite a bit, but not otherworldly like 12 oz is.

Stock Prestige Classic here.

equinox
01-12-2005, 10:35 PM
i use approximately 12 grams lead on my PD's. At 9 + 3 o'clock and some over handle for balance.

No lead on my POG as is heavy and stable enough already.

!<-_->!
01-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Accidental double post.

!<-_->!
01-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Two quarters ductaped to bottom of my Head PT 280. Then 3 layers of the Gamma Head Tape on 2 sides of the grip to make it more of a square. Then an overgrip. 4inch strip of lead at 3&9. 3inch strip at 12. LM Prestige CAP grommets. I have no clue what the weight is, so can anyone give me a rough estimate?

kreative
01-13-2005, 10:00 AM
slightly customized pd standard

ChrisNC
01-13-2005, 11:54 AM
RDX 500 MP w\ lead at 3 & 9

jayserinos99
01-13-2005, 12:05 PM
current sticks: volkl tour 10 ve mid - stock with fairway leather grip, volkl tour 10 mp - lead at 3/9/handle, leather grip

Ed Lee
01-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Depending upon the racquet, I will use a combination of lead weights placed at the 3 and 9 positions at the head, layers of protection tape around the head covering the area above the 3 and 9 positions, and lead tape under the grip and/or an overgrip until I can achieve a weight of about 12.5 oz and a balance of -4 to -5. Just a personal preference.

devilish_duke
01-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Same thing I did. Just wrapped the tournagrip over the stock duratec that was on the NXG.

I suppose so... but you do understand that the Gamma Pro RX is an actual replacement grip in itself right? I basically have two fullsized grips, one on top of the other. It's really cushy and comfy.

tedmeister
01-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Got a Sting classic and a Wilson 5.2 tweaked to 11.6 oz at locations that are classified. Too bad they don't sell intellifiber tape ;)

hummer23
02-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Too bad they don't sell intellifiber tape ;)

and too ad they dont sell liquid metal tape, no wait, you have to use paint for that!

shadow
02-22-2005, 08:31 PM
I have 4 racquets (Head Pt 280's) 2 strung with gut and 2 with Luxilon ALU Big Bangers. The gut strung racquets have 2 different weights, the heavier one with a weight in the handle and a slightly more head-light balance. Ditto for the Luxilon strung racquets. Selection depends on the type of court, the type of tennis balls and the particular style of opponents' playing style, as well as whether the game is singles or doubles. I think, in fact, I know that all of these factors come into play when deciding on racquet modifications.

aj_m2009
02-22-2005, 09:23 PM
The only thing I do to customize my rackets is by adding a new grip and putting on a vibe. damp. but maybe I should start adding some lead tape.

TommyGun
02-23-2005, 02:28 PM
For years added up to 2 oz of lead, and definitely added lead to the hoop. When I got my X-45's, they weighed 13.3 oz, so didn't need to add weight. The balances were not as well matched between frames, but I live with that.

My two new Vantages I think I posted here on another link. First time in a long time that the frames are closely matched "off the shelf" and that I don't feel the need to add lead to (probably the fact that they are 28" and I get the right balance and feel because of that.

I don't count grip type or overwrap customizing, personally.

ffrpg
02-23-2005, 03:31 PM
I use to customize my racquets, but I see no need for it anymore. If anything, I think lead tape has a placebo effect of some sort and a lot of people are quick to think a couple grams of lead at 3 & 9 will do wonders.