PDA

View Full Version : Nadal in Hamburg 2008

adiwadi
05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Does anyone think or know whether Rafael Nadal is going to now enter Hamburg?
Its not on his schedule, but can he still enter in at this point?

christinamaniac7
05-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes he'll go to hamburg now and will play there indeed...

Nadal_Freak
05-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah I expect him there as well now that he lost early in Rome. He might come in with little practice time so he might have to shed some rust.

adiwadi
05-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Does anyone think or know whether Rafael Nadal is going to now enter Hamburg?
Its not on his schedule, but can he still enter in at this point?

Sorry I made a mistake; but I just came across info that says Nadal will play Hamburg...

New Question: What kind of confidence will Nadal have after this weeks result in Rome and never winning the Hamburg Masters Series tournament?

coloskier
05-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah I expect him there as well now that he lost early in Rome. He might come in with little practice time so he might have to shed some rust.

Practice??? He'll be lucky to even get on the court before Hamburg is halfway finished with those split blisters. I don't want him to make them worse before RG. His first match would be next Tuesday. There is no way those blisters will completely heal before a week from this coming Friday.

Nadal_Freak
05-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Practice??? He'll be lucky to even get on the court before Hamburg is halfway finished with those split blisters. I don't want him to make them worse before RG. His first match would be next Tuesday. There is no way those blisters will completely heal before a week from this coming Friday.
Ah don't think it is that bad. I think he'll be alright in about 5 days. Maybe 4. He's gotta wear some thick socks though.

Vision84
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
We already have this exact thread towards the top of the page.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=195438

edmondsm
05-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal pulled out of Hamburg at the last minute if there is any question as to whether the cut/blister is healed. No sense jeopardizing his health for Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

coloskier
05-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Ah don't think it is that bad. I think he'll be alright in about 5 days. Maybe 4. He's gotta wear some thick socks though.

I guess you didn't look at the photos. There is a 1 inch gash/split down to the fatty layer in the middle of the blister on the front ball of the foot, and a 1/2 of skin gone on the outside of the same foot. I am surprised he can walk without a serious limp.

quest01
05-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I would imagine Nadal would play in Hamburg if he is at 100%. It's pretty obvious Nadal was hampered by an injury due to a blister on his foot today and that was a reason why his level of play decreased in the second set against Ferrero. If the blister heals in time for Hamburg, I don't see why he would skip this seeing that he went out early in Rome.

zagor
05-07-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't think he should play Hamburg in order to be fully healed and rested for the FO but then again he is chasing the number one spot so maybe he'll play Hamburg afterall.

Nadal_Freak
05-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I guess you didn't look at the photos. There is a 1 inch gash/split down to the fatty layer in the middle of the blister on the front ball of the foot, and a 1/2 of skin gone on the outside of the same foot. I am surprised he can walk without a serious limp.
We'll have to wait and see on this one I guess. We'll see who is right.

coloskier
05-07-2008, 02:10 PM
We'll have to wait and see on this one I guess. We'll see who is right.

Actually, I hope you are right, but I have had this injury before, and I know how long it takes to heal.

Vision84
05-07-2008, 02:11 PM

I had blisters as bad as his and didn't retire and I could barely move on the court. THe coach said he couldn't believe I kept playing. I just got them taped up well an it didn't bother me after that.

Cup8489
05-07-2008, 02:14 PM
i understand the idea of playing at hamburg, but at this point, seeing the condition his feet are in, he needs a break, or he's gonna lose alot more points than just today or at hamburg. he needs to be strategic about playing tournaments. if he goes for broke and enters at less than 100 percent, he will jeopardize the few months of the season, for he wont have too much rest until after wimbledon.

coloskier
05-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I had blisters as bad as his and didn't retire and I could barely move on the court. THe coach said he couldn't believe I kept playing. I just got them taped up well an it didn't bother me after that.

With only blisters I can understand being taped up cured everything, but that outer skin split to the fatty layer under the blister is a whole different animal. Any directional changes before it heals will split it even worse, even if you are taped.

Vision84
05-07-2008, 02:55 PM
With only blisters I can understand being taped up cured everything, but that outer skin split to the fatty layer under the blister is a whole different animal. Any directional changes before it heals will split it even worse, even if you are taped.

Not sure about the layer under the skin but my blisters had all been ripped apart by the friction.

veroniquem
05-07-2008, 02:55 PM
In his post match interview Rafa stated that he will play Hamburg next week, he even added that "missing another master series on clay would kill him". I'm pretty sure he meant metaphorically.

coloskier
05-07-2008, 02:57 PM
In his post match interview Rafa stated that he will play Hamburg next week, he even added that "missing another master series on clay would kill him". I'm pretty sure he meant metaphorically.

You have to admire his determination. I just hope he doesn't get injured again. Imagine going into RG with blistered feet and having to play the best 3-5 sets for two weeks. Not even Nadal is that strong.

PROTENNIS63
05-07-2008, 03:16 PM

He definitely needs to play it to at least defend those points.