PDA

View Full Version : Nadal: I don't have nothing to speak with de Villiers

Marius_Hancu
05-07-2008, 12:38 PM
click on:

RAFAEL NADAL POST MATCH INTERVIEW

[see the Rome site]

Q. You know that Etienne of the ATP is here. Are you going to talk to him and say the same thing you told us about the calendar, what you said in Barcelona? I know you have told him already, but do you think there is a chance that something can change, or you don't think anything will change?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't have nothing to speak with this man, no? Not more.

Q. Don't trust him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Lose more time trying to fight for nothing it's very stupid, so I have it's stupid. Last year I have a lot of time lose a lot of time trying to understand why he doing these things, and he's impossible to understand.

[more cut for SPOILER concern]

coloskier
05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
click on:

RAFAEL NADAL POST MATCH INTERVIEW

[see the Rome site]

Q. You know that Etienne of the ATP is here. Are you going to talk to him and say the same thing you told us about the calendar, what you said in Barcelona? I know you have told him already, but do you think there is a chance that something can change, or you don't think anything will change?

Q. Don't trust him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Lose more time trying to fight for nothing it's very stupid, so I have it's stupid. Last year I have a lot of time lose a lot of time trying to understand why he doing these things, and he's impossible to understand.

[more cut for SPOILER concern]

Everyone else has to play the same schedule. Is he the only one who got bad blisters? And it is obvious that he got the blisters in Barcelona, which is only two weeks into the clay season.

gj011
05-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Everyone else has to play the same schedule. Is he the only one who got bad blisters? And it is obvious that he got the blisters in Barcelona, which is only two weeks into the clay season.

Come on, you are not serious. Not everyone plays in the finals, not everyone has that many points to defend and not everyone's "home" tournament is in the middle of three ATP Masters.

I am not Nadal's fan, but he has valid points and ATP deserves all the criticism for this ridiculous clay season schedule.
And all this only to align Miami with changed NCAA basketball schedule for the viewing pleasure of US couch potatoes. Outrageous.

Defcon
05-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Yeah, methinks he doth protest too much!

We all know the ATP is run by idiots and the clay court fiasco scheduling fiasco this year is the latest in a long series. All the clay courters have complained about it a million times already.

Look at it this way, the compressed schedule punishes ONLY clay courters - players who cannot make up points anywhere else. That sounds like one-dimensional to me!

Add to this the fact that Nadal almost always gets the easiest draws, he really has no reason to complain.

willgonase10
05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
I totally agree with Nadal.

If he can't pull off this type of schedule, who else can? Nadal is like the most fit guy IN the game right now. Look at those muscles. Look at this build. Look at his endurance and strength!!! If he can't play with this schedule no one can really...

Oh well, 105-2 on clay for several years. Not bad. Oh and I'm not a fan of Nadal. :)

coloskier
05-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Common, you are not serious. Not everyone plays in the finals all the time, not everyone has that many points to defend and not everyone's "home" tournament is in the middle of three ATP Masters.

I am not Nadal's fan, but he has valid points and ATP deserves all the criticism for this ridiculous clay season schedule.

He should have known this was coming because the ATP had the exact same schedule 4 years ago. If you look at this, he got his blisters at the end of the 2nd week in Barcelona, the equivalent of playing one Grand Slam tournament. Last year he played Rome, Hamburg and RG back to back. Yes, there is a week between Hamburg and RG, but that is still just as heavy a schedule.

willgonase10
05-07-2008, 12:53 PM

We all know the ATP is run by idiots and the clay court fiasco scheduling fiasco this year is the latest in a long series. All the clay courters have complained about it a million times already.

Look at it this way, the compressed schedule punishes ONLY clay courters - players who cannot make up points anywhere else. That sounds like one-dimensional to me!

Add to this the fact that Nadal almost always gets the easiest draws, he really has no reason to complain.

Can't make points up anywhere else? Buddy, he is a two time Wimbledon finalist and won Indian Wells and several hard court events...He is plenty capable.

dh003i
05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
They have to deal with the Olympics, right? That's why the schedule's so messed...

gj011
05-07-2008, 12:56 PM

On another thread I posted breakout od Nadals points. Out of 5930, 2900 are from clay and m3030 are from other surface tournaments. Enough for #4 rank with 0 points on clay.

coloskier
05-07-2008, 12:58 PM

If he can't pull off this type of schedule, who else can? Nadal is like the most fit guy IN the game right now. Look at those muscles. Look at this build. Look at his endurance and strength!!! If he can't play with this schedule no one can really...

Oh well, 105-2 on clay for several years. Not bad. Oh and I'm not a fan of Nadal. :)

Yes, but everyone else IS playing with the same schedule. Some people get hurt, others don't. I still think he is a warrior for playing through to the end of the match, but don't blame your blisters on scheduling. It was his choice to play every tournament, no one else's. Everyone else took a break, including most of the other clay court players. If you are that desperate for points, maybe you should consider playing better on hard/indoor courts, which are almost 50% of the tour circuit. Unfortunately, that is a fact of life in the ATP.

Moose Malloy
05-07-2008, 12:58 PM
The schedule was EXACTLY the same in 2004, also an Olympic year. Can anyone who thinks the schedule change this year was due to the NCAA's give one plausible explanation as to why it was the same in 2004? Do the NCAA's also only come along every 4 years?

Not everyone plays in the finals, not everyone has that many points to defend and not everyone's "home" tournament is in the middle of three ATP Masters.

Federer last year played his 'home' tournament in between Madrid & Paris. And he lost early in Paris. Don't blame the ATP for not taking the 'hometowns' of its top players into consideration when making schedules.

gj011
05-07-2008, 12:59 PM
They have to deal with the Olympics, right? That's why the schedule's so messed...

I don't get this "schedule is changed because of Olympics" thing. The Olympics is in August, RG and Wimbledon are not going to move their schedule, so what then schedule in April and May has to do with the Olympics? Anybody care to explain.
AFAIK the clay season schedule is changed to accommodate IW and Miami and US TV networks due to NCAA BB schedule change. That is simply bad.

Fedace
05-07-2008, 01:01 PM
I think it would have been better just to have defaulted the match. it was clear that rafa could not move. just to show ATP, that they are not doing a good job

gj011
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
He should have known this was coming because the ATP had the exact same schedule 4 years ago. If you look at this, he got his blisters at the end of the 2nd week in Barcelona, the equivalent of playing one Grand Slam tournament. Last year he played Rome, Hamburg and RG back to back. Yes, there is a week between Hamburg and RG, but that is still just as heavy a schedule.

The way I see it is that ATP should have known this was coming and not mess up with the schedule.

quest01
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
It's obvious Nadal was very frustrated due to losing on his beloved surface so I can see why he was being a little testy during his post match interview. Hopefully Nadal doesn't have issues with blisters leading up to RG or he is going to have some serious problems.

coloskier
05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
The way I see it is that ATP should have known this was coming and not mess up with the schedule.

They had no choice. They had to fit in two weeks of the Olympics into an already too packed schedule.

Defcon
05-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I never said Nadal can't make up points, he's the #2 player so he can. But he will suffer a lot more than say Djokovic, Nalbanidan, Fed etc because he's primarily a clay courter.

He knew about this and the only reason he's playing is to defend his ranking points. And he just lost 495 of them.

If Nadal felt comfortable on other surfaces, he'd have skipped this in a heartbeat. After Wimbledon, he has almost no chance of winning anything, so he basically has to play everything in the clay season and risk injury. Its been the same story the last 3 years.

Nadal_Freak
They had no choice. They had to fit in two weeks of the Olympics into an already too packed schedule.
Of course they pack the clay season schedule over packing the hard court season. de Villiers must be a *******.

edmondsm
I don't get this "schedule is changed because of Olympics" thing. The Olympics is in August, RG and Wimbledon are not going to move their schedule, so what then schedule in April and May has to do with the Olympics? Anybody care to explain.
AFAIK the clay season schedule is changed to accommodate IW and Miami and US TV networks. That is simply bad.

I see what you are saying. So this new schedule is going to be permanent? Why would they change it every four years to accommodate basketball? That doesn't make sense either.

zagor
05-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Yes, but everyone else IS playing with the same schedule. Some people get hurt, others don't. I still think he is a warrior for playing through to the end of the match, but don't blame your blisters on scheduling. It was his choice to play every tournament, no one else's. Everyone else took a break, including most of the other clay court players. If you are that desperate for points, maybe you should consider playing better on hard/indoor courts, which are almost 50% of the tour circuit. Unfortunately, that is a fact of life in the ATP.

Come on now,yes everybody has to play with the same schedule but the one player that was mostly hurt by it was Nadal,no question about it.I mean he does play hardcourt tournaments and reguraly reaches semis or finals so he does show up and wins his share of points on hardcourt,it's not like he wimps out on his worst surface like Roddick and Blake did out of Monte Carlo.In my opinion he should have a fair chance to win as much points as he can on his best surface and it was made impossible for him to defend all his clay points,winning 4 tournaments in 4 weeks cannot be done(although he didn't win Hamburg he still has final to defend there).

gj011
05-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Ok let me try to explain again.
1. Olympics is in August.
2. RG in May/June and Wimbledon June/July are not moving.
3. Clay season in April and May up to Hamburg is pushed later not earlier, i.e. CLOSER to the Olympics.

So how this clay season change in schedule helps "fit two weeks of Olympics into an already packed schedule"? I just don't see it.

Defcon
05-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Also I never hear the clay courters thank the ATP for slowing down every single surface, making a mockery of grass and basically giving them a chance to compete anywhere except red clay.

Remember the late 90's - clay courters used to boycott Wimbledon and whine that it was too fast for them. SV players had a real chance. Clay courters, including Nadal, would get blown off the court if HC and grass played like they were meant to.

edmondsm
05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Of course they pack the clay season schedule over packing the hard court season. de Villiers must be a *******.

This schedule change is seriously fishy. It appears to not effect the space around the time the Olympics are played. In actuality the hardcourt season suffers as well because if you want to play the Olympics you have to skip a week on the US hardcourts and fly to China right before the US Open.

edmondsm
05-07-2008, 01:27 PM
So how this clay season change in schedule helps "fit two weeks of Olympics into an already packed schedule"? I just don't see it.

Me either. The squeeze on the clay season appears completely pointless. The one thing I did notice is that Sopot got dropped from the tour completely this year.

Moose Malloy
05-07-2008, 01:43 PM
^davis cup also affects the atp schedule. looking at their website, it seems like its not the same weeks every year. that could also be a factor with this being an Olympics year(there have been DC QF ties played in July in the past)

also as far as the schedule being responsible for Nadal's blisters, last year he played 4 events in 5 weeks. Yeah its tougher this year, but it certainly wasn't ideal last year as well.

last year he played Monte Carlo & Barcelona in consecutive weeks, than had a week off then played Hamburg & Rome back to back.

nn
05-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Come on, you are not serious. Not everyone plays in the finals, not everyone has that many points to defend and not everyone's "home" tournament is in the middle of three ATP Masters.

And all this only to align Miami with changed NCAA basketball schedule for the viewing pleasure of US couch potatoes. Outrageous.

1000% agree with you...f** the NCAA I give it a sh**

Nadal has point and he is right period after period

coloskier
05-07-2008, 01:50 PM

The NCAA had absolutely nothing to do with this, otherwise it would happen every year. But, since it happens every 4 years, the Olympics is obviously to blame.

nn
05-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Also I never hear the clay courters thank the ATP for slowing down every single surface, making a mockery of grass and basically giving them a chance to compete anywhere except red clay.

Remember the late 90's - clay courters used to boycott Wimbledon and whine that it was too fast for them. SV players had a real chance. Clay courters, including Nadal, would get blown off the court if HC and grass played like they were meant to.

to counter argument will be grass court player is crying that courts slower.. it has help everybody because when Goran and Pete just finish point on Ace people said it is boring and now slow down people says too long..nothing is perfect but something should make sense in life then it is okay

coloskier
05-07-2008, 01:53 PM
to counter argument will be grass court player is crying that courts slower.. it has help everybody because when Goran and Pete just finish point on Ace people said it is boring and now slow down people says too long..nothing is perfect but something should make sense in life then it is okay

Yes, but what matters is who whined first. :)

gj011
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
The NCAA had absolutely nothing to do with this, otherwise it would happen every year. But, since it happens every 4 years, the Olympics is obviously to blame.

This year NCAA was one week later that ussual, hence Miami had to be week later due to US TV network pressure, so clay season was shortened.

Vision84
05-07-2008, 02:01 PM
They should cut out some of the tournaments and move them to the grass season. It is as short as it is. If Nadal feels so pressured to do so well on clay to get to number one then he needs to be a more well rounded player and improve his skill on faster surfaces.

Moose Malloy
05-07-2008, 02:02 PM
This year NCAA was one week later that ussual

so were the NCAA's a week later in '04 as well? what a coincidence.

Defcon
05-07-2008, 02:43 PM

But thats not really true since grass is MEANT to be fast, just like clay is meant to be slow. They didn't decide to slow down grass because people said its boring, it was to appease the clay court crowd. Things like Wimbledon opening cans weeks in advance to slow down the balls are just pathetic - since it hurts the players who are skilled on that surface.

How many times have you heard Fed complain about slow fast courts? Never. Nadal has complained publicly about how hard courts are still too fast and that we need more slow courts.

dh003i
05-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Yea, I agree...it's nuts. Wimbledon should be Wimbledon, not clay with some grass in top. It's absurd how slow it's been playing these last few years. And opening up the balls in advance is ridiculous as well.

flyer
05-07-2008, 03:16 PM

your an idiot, make cincy, canada, miami, dubai, and the usopen in 5 weeks and tell either federer or djokovic to go win them all.....if you cant see how ridiculous this all is your a complete idiot

Defcon
05-07-2008, 03:20 PM
They wouldn't constantly whine and complain about it, that's for sure.

Well Fed wouldn't, Djoker would retire with a sore eyebrow or something equally serious.

gj011
05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
so were the NCAA's a week later in '04 as well? what a coincidence.

I don't know when was NCAA 4 years ago, but I still don't see how the moving the schedule FORWARD in April/May has anything to do with the Olympics, which is in August, with two GS tournaments in between that does not move their schedule.

Yea, I agree...it's nuts. Wimbledon should be Wimbledon, not clay with some grass in top. It's absurd how slow it's been playing these last few years. And opening up the balls in advance is ridiculous as well.

Scheduling of the clay season does not have anything to do with the grass in the Wimbledon, so I don't see your point.

edmondsm
05-07-2008, 03:23 PM

Dude, the schedule change is not for basketball. ESPN dumped IW and Miami anyway so it doesn't make a difference to them. Plus why would they change the schedule every four years to accomodate a basketball event that happens every year?

edmondsm
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
In the end Nadal has to take some responsibity for this. Nobody forced him to play Barcelona. He should have sacrificed those points in the interest of giving himself the best shot at playing Rome and Hamburg.

CyBorg
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Things are not looking too bad for clay courters in 2009. We'll have three masters series on clay and most likely a week separating them. Tiriac's interests will depend on it.

Yes, Nadal's concerns make sense. This is all in light of the fact that a whole month is allotted for IW and Miami.

gj011
05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
In the end Nadal has to take some responsibity for this. Nobody forced him to play Barcelona. He should have sacrificed those points in the interest of giving himself the best shot at playing Rome and Hamburg.

Come on, that would be like saying, "nobody forced Roddick to play US Open". Barcelona is obviously very important to Nadal. It is a biggest clay tournament in Spain and I think lots of people in Spain would be upset if he skips that one.

edmondsm
05-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Come on, that would be like saying, "nobody forced Roddick to play US Open". Barcelona is obviously very important to Nadal. It is a biggest clay tournament in Spain and I think lots of people in Spain would be upset if he skips that one.

That's ridiculous. How can you equate the US Open and Barcelona? A better example would be Federer skipping Halle so he could rest for Wimbledon, which he did, last year. You got to make sacrifices in the best interests of your health and career.

gj011
05-07-2008, 03:44 PM
That's ridiculous. How can you equate the US Open and Barcelona? A better example would be Federer skipping Halle so he could rest for Wimbledon, which he did, last year. You got to make sacrifices in the best interests of your health and career.

I am not "equating" them. I am just saying that Barcelona might be as important to Nadal as US Open is to Roddick.

OrangeOne
05-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I am not "equating" them. I am just saying that Barcelona might be as important to Nadal as US Open is to Roddick.

That is ridiculous.

Defcon
05-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I can guarantee you, Nadal would rather win one USO than 10 Barcelona's.

gj011
05-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I can guarantee you, Nadal would rather win one USO than 10 Barcelona's.

The real question here is, would he rather skip Barcelona or US Open.

You Americans are so self centered. Why is so hard to understand that for a Spaniard, the biggest (clay) tournament in Spain might be as important as the biggest tournament in US to American.

OrangeOne
05-07-2008, 04:24 PM
You Americans are so self centered. Why is so hard to understand that for a Spaniard, the biggest (clay) tournament in Spain might be as important as the biggest tournament in US to American.

You really lack a single clue about tennis.

Seriously, comparing the biggest tournament in a country to a country with a home slam is ridiculous. Completely ridiculous.

PS. I'd love to see the riot that would start if I posted a sentence with "You Serbians are so.... <insert negative attribute here>" (which, for the record, I would never do!).

Defcon
05-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Its not about countries, its about a Slam (the most prestigious, the most prize money) vs some tournament which isn't even a Masters.

What you are saying is the equivalent of Fed skipping Wimbledon to play Basel.

These people are pros, its a job to them. You have to manage your career and schedule professionally. Bad schedules and bad draws happen all the time.

btw, what makes you think I'm American :)

edberg505
05-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Your rationale is flawed. You are saying that you aren't equating the two when in fact you are doing just that. It is understandable that Barcelona is a big tournament to Nadal, but wouldn't it make more sense to skip that tournament to be fully fit for Rome. He has more points to defend in Rome, and it it is a Master's event. I mean hell, Federer has skipped Basel several times, of course it isn't for the same reason as Nadal would have had to skip Barcelona. But I'm sure he could have come up with a fake excuse to skip.

gj011
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
You really lack a single clue about tennis.

Seriously, comparing the biggest tournament in a country to a country with a home slam is ridiculous. Completely ridiculous.

PS. I'd love to see the riot that would start if I posted a sentence with "You Serbians are so.... <insert negative attribute here>" (which, for the record, I would never do!).

Maybe you would not, but there are people who are doing that here.

Anyway you are all missing a point here. Nadal obviously does not WANT to skip Barcelona. It is important to him. And saying "he should have skipped Barcelona" is just not right. Scheduling is messed up due to ATP shenanigans and that is not Nadal's fault, so he should not be forced to skip Barcelona.

Nadal_Freak
05-07-2008, 04:42 PM

Anyway you are all missing a point here. Nadal obviously does not WANT to skip Barcelona. It is important to him. And saying "he should have skipped Barcelona" is just not right. Scheduling is messed up due to ATP shenanigans and that is not Nadal's fault, so he should not be forced to skip Barcelona.
Agreed. Too many Fedfans around here. It is frustrating.

stormholloway
05-07-2008, 04:47 PM

He wasn't looking too fit against Ferrer at the US Open last year.

I agree with him about the scheduling though.

superman1
05-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Serbians are all close-minded. :)

Life isn't fair. You gotta pick and choose. Nadal has the right to be ****ed but he doesn't have the right to change the schedule based on his needs. I'm sure the Olympics means more to Roddick than Barcelona means to Nadal, but he's still skipping it.

edberg505
05-07-2008, 04:49 PM

No, I think you are missing the point. This schedule was set back at the end of last year. So the schedule has been known since then. There is nothing, absolutely nothing Nadal can do to change this. There is however something that he can do about his personal scheduling.

Defcon
05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Well then he's an idiot. The ATP does not operate on the whims and fancies of individual players and their home tournaments. If its that important to him, he should skip the FO and shut up.

No one is denying the ATP messed up, the players have to deal with it.

gj011
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Serbians are all close-minded. :)

Fair enough. I deserved that :)

Life isn't fair. You gotta pick and choose. Nadal has the right to be ****ed but he doesn't have the right to change the schedule based on his needs. I'm sure the Olympics means more to Roddick than Barcelona means to Nadal, but he's still skipping it.

The thing here is that it is not Nadal who changes the schedule based on his needs, but schedule was changed by ATP for no good reason i.e to accommodate US TV networks. I still don't see how this schedule change has to do anything with the Olympics (see my posts above) and there is no one here who was able to explain it.
Nadal and other players that feel wronged have every right to be upset and not just expected "to deal with it".

This is actually funny, this schedule change is good for Djokovic, who has a better chance now to catch Nadal, and I am complaining about it.

Morrissey
05-07-2008, 05:03 PM

Nobody else is going to the Sunday of every Final of the clay season since 2005. Until today for Rafa. So no, the schedule is NOT the same because everyone else loses early or has one or two good tournaments.

Morrissey
05-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Well then he's an idiot. The ATP does not operate on the whims and fancies of individual players and their home tournaments. If its that important to him, he should skip the FO and shut up.

No one is denying the ATP messed up, the players have to deal with it.

I wonder how you would feel if Fed complained about the schueduling, maybe you'd be singing a different song. But because you hate Nadal he's an idiot, when he makes a good point. Maybe you're the idiot. How do you like that?

Morrissey
05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Agreed. Too many Fedfans around here. It is frustrating.

It's ok, they're venting out their pent up anger from seeing Nadal dominate Monte Carlo and Barcelona again. For once (or twice) in 3 years they actually can get excited, even though Nadal had a blown up blister on his foot the size of a golf ball.

Nadal_Freak
05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Nobody else is going to the Sunday of every Final of the clay season since 2005. Until today for Rafa. So no, the schedule is NOT the same because everyone else loses early or has one or two good tournaments.
Though Ferrer suffered because of it as well and lost in first round today. All the other players don't have 4 tournaments scheduled in a row because they don't have to worry about playing in their home country at that time.

Rob_C
05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
As said before, the exact same changes were made in 2004, the last Olympic year. Was that also because of the NCAAs??

And the hard court schedule has been changed from last year, Indy got moved and the LA tournament got moved.

That was the case in '96 also.

In 2000, I dont think the schedule prior to the Olympics was changed, but the Olympics that year were held AFTER the US Open, so the changes to the schedule probably only affected those tournaments after the Olympics, if at all.

Also, the reason for IW and Miami being held over two weeks is because they are both combined WTA/ATP events with both draws being 96 draws. Not because of favoritism to Americans.

Before IW was combined, and only had a 64 draw, 2003, it was only held over 1 week.

edberg505
05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
It's ok, they're venting out their pent up anger from seeing Nadal dominate Monte Carlo and Barcelona again. For once (or twice) in 3 years they actually can get excited, even though Nadal had a blown up blister on his foot the size of a golf ball.

I'm not a Federer fan per se, I do love watching him play. But I would have loved to see him play Nadal in the final again. Not to mention Nadal royally screwed up my freakin bracket and did some serious damage to fantasy team.

Defcon
05-07-2008, 05:13 PM
I wonder how you would feel if Fed complained about the schueduling, maybe you'd be singing a different song. But because you hate Nadal he's an idiot, when he makes a good point. Maybe you're the idiot. How do you like that?

I'm surprised you're resorting to name calling. Nadal's decision to play Barcelona and endanger Rome+Hamburg which carry more ranking points, when the schedule was known well in advance, is stupid/unwise. It doesn't matter how unfair it is to him, he has to make these decisions. Fed would be an idiot too if he did the same.

Nadal_Freak
05-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm surprised you're resorting to name calling. Nadal's decision to play Barcelona and endanger Rome+Hamburg which carry more ranking points, when the schedule was known well in advance, is stupid/unwise. It doesn't matter how unfair it is to him, he has to make these decisions. Fed would be an idiot too if he did the same.
Somehow I doubt you would say that about Fed no matter what he does. It's Nadal so of course you will jump on the opportunity to call him an idiot.

chiru
05-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Sure. I don't think Nadal should've played barcelona either. So is he partially responsible, absolutely. If you continue with taht logic, nobody forced Nadal to be a clay courter with a weak serve, he shouldda gotten a bigger serve so he could ace the hell out of his opponents and win points easier. and these are in fact things i wish i could tell him to do.

the problem is that it's just not that easy. regardless of nadal's culpability out there, he demonstrated how much of a champion he is in my eyes in his press conference today, playing through obvious pain (the result of which I'll omit due to spoilerage). The fact is, the ATP screwed up, and the persons that suffer the most are the consistent clay court champions. aka ppl like nadal, federer, ferrer, people expected to make it deep into the draw everytime.

Nadal's not the only person complaining here. That's my point, EVERYONE has complained to the ATP about something rather in the last years since Etienne showed up. The fact is, Etienne is a ******. the ATP is the association of tennis pros. it was put togethor by the pros for the pros, and technically Etienne is their employee in my eyes. He just doesn't respond to players when he doesn't feel like it. that in my mind is wrong and bad for business.

gj011
05-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Ok, Nadal_freak and Morissey are here, so I don't have to fight for Nadal against schedule change any more :)

stormholloway
05-07-2008, 05:22 PM
I think Nadal truly believed he would win all the tournaments, and I believed in him as well. In hindsight, playing Barca worked against him, but he could have won MC, Barca, Rome, Hamburg, and Roland Garros all in a row.

TheTruth
05-07-2008, 05:38 PM
your an idiot, make cincy, canada, miami, dubai, and the usopen in 5 weeks and tell either federer or djokovic to go win them all.....if you cant see how ridiculous this all is your a complete idiot

Then they would be up in arms. Anything to protect their idol though. The scheduling is bogus, and anyone who doesn't see it, simply chooses not to!

TheTruth
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM

I'm an American, but I can easily see that. Barcelona would be extremely important to him, the scheduling was crappy (intentionally), and DeVilliers, or whatever his name is, is stupid, just like Nadal said!

TheTruth
05-07-2008, 05:47 PM

Exactly! (10 char)

TheTruth
05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Though Ferrer suffered because of it as well and lost in first round today. All the other players don't have 4 tournaments scheduled in a row because they don't have to worry about playing in their home country at that time.

Ahhh, but to many Fedfans:

1. That is perfectly reasonable.
2. Claycourters shouldn't whine
3. They're responsible for their own schedules, blah, blah, blah...

But let the shoe be on the other foot and mayhem ensues! I don't understand how people can be so petty as to not consider the needs of all. Do unto others...and if you wouldn't like it done to you, you shouldn't be comfortable seeing it done to someone else. Major character flaw!

gj011
05-07-2008, 05:59 PM
You Americans are so self centered.

I am sorry. I should not have made such general negative statement. It is just not right.

But my points about Barcelona and schedule still stand :)

gj011
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Well, Federer himself confirms the schedule was changed because of the NCAA.

Federer's post match interview after Karlovic match:

Q. Do you feel it was right when he was complaining about the clay court season being so tough?
ROGER FEDERER: Rafa?

Q. Yeah.
ROGER FEDERER: I did not hear him.

Q. He was complaining that he had four big tournaments this year in a row every week with no week of rest between.
ROGER FEDERER: Hmm, of course it's tough. It's tough for everyone. I'm playing four tournaments as well, it's just that I placed them differently.
I understand he wants to play Barcelona and try to defend his title there. It's a tough year because of the Olympic Games, but I think the problem is more maybe in Miami where they moved because of television, I think. To move, you know, Miami because of television, because I think it was the NCAA, I mean, that is rough on us. Especially on a guy like Rafa who wants to play a lot on clay. So I agree, it's not right, you know, but it's the way it is this year unfortunately, and hopefully things will be better next time.

http://www.inter****onalibnlditalia.it/1/News.asp?LNG=EN

Edit: It looks like the link to Rome tournament site contains profanities in English, so it is censored :lol:

rfprse
05-08-2008, 03:26 PM

Q. Don't trust him?

Good for Nadal. He got wiser.
Only way to deal with de Villiers is getting rid of him.

rfprse
05-08-2008, 03:32 PM

Not sure why what Federer said is important. Isn't it more about a difference between European and American perspective and not about a dispute between Federer fans and Nadal fans?

Rob_C
05-08-2008, 06:26 PM

Federer's post match interview after Karlovic match:

http://www.inter****onalibnlditalia.it/1/News.asp?LNG=EN

Edit: It looks like the link to Rome tournament site contains profanities in English, so it is censored :lol:

Federer doesnt confirm anything. It says he thinks Miami was moved because of the NCAAs.

Rob_C
05-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Also, the ATP didnt just move Miami, the entire schedule between the Aussie Open and IW was changed. There used to be 3 weeks of tournaments between Davis Cup and IW, this year there were 4 weeks. Were all those changes because of the NCAAs also???

gj011
05-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Federer doesnt confirm anything. It says he thinks Miami was moved because of the NCAAs.

Which means that schedule is moved for the Olympics :rolleyes:

This Federer's statement is enough proof for me. The schedule is obviously moved for the US TV networks, because of NCAA. Nadal sad it couple of months ago, now Federer said it, also, as I posted several times, makes no sense to move schedule in April/May FORWARD for the Olympics in August.

ATP officials are bunch of clowns.

gj011
05-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Also, the ATP didnt just move Miami, the entire schedule between the Aussie Open and IW was changed. There used to be 3 weeks of tournaments between Davis Cup and IW, this year there were 4 weeks. Were all those changes because of the NCAAs also???

Why there were 4 weeks instead 3 after DC in Feb/March? To align Miami (and IW) schedule with the moved NCAA, or for the Olympics which is months later. Which makes more sense to you? :roll:

Rob_C
05-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Why there were 4 weeks instead 3 after DC in Feb/March? To align Miami (and IW) schedule with the moved NCAA, or for the Olympics which is months later. Which makes more sense to you? :roll:

So you think Zagreb, Dubai, Rotterdam, Acapulco, Buenos Aires, were all rearranged because of the NCAAs??

The ATP had been public about the need for changes to the schedule. They also want to get rid of some tournaments, which is why the Las Vegas tournament is most likely coming off the schedule for next year. Which is why they tried to downgrade Monte Carlo and Hamburg.

They would also like more combined WTA/ATP AMS tournaments like IW and Miami, but that probably also means those tournaments that will be combined will have to be held over a two week period, not the one it is now.

Since the ATP and WTA Rome tournaments are a week apart, I think, it's logical that that would be one of the first to be combined.

I think the ATP will keep Dusseldorf on the schedule, so that means that the Italian Open, if it gets combined and is played over a two week period, will have to stay where it is to give the players a week off before the start of the French

Rob_C
05-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Have you looked at the schedule for 2004, the last Olympic year?? The same 4 clay court tournaments were played 4 weeks in a row. Execpt it was in this order, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Hamburg.

Was that because of thre NCAAs????

Here's a link.

http://************.com/04atpres.htm

rafan
05-08-2008, 09:20 PM

O k Hamlet - he may get an easy draw but there is no way out on the final day when he is presented with Federer yet again and again and again - when the others have fallen by the wayside