PDA

View Full Version : Nadal and doubles tennis

TheModernEra
05-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Can someone provide a rational explanation why Nadal played doubles in Monte Carlo when he doesn't need the money, is complaining about a stacked clay court schedule (rightfully so), and should be planning for RG first and foremost?

He has played 49 matches this year (singles and doubles) according to the ATP tennis site. I am not a mathematician, but that is a lot of tennis...particularly with his style of play. Why play extra doubles tennis when the schedule is so brutal to begin with? His "team" is working him like a rented mule....

And judging by some of the posted pics of his foot, those cuts/calluses/blisters will take a long time to heel.....I believe they will take at least 3-4 weeks to heel, and that's with rest....

flyer
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Can someone provide a rational explanation why Nadal played doubles in Monte Carlo when he doesn't need the money, is complaining about a stacked clay court schedule (rightfully so), and should be planning for RG first and foremost?

He has played 49 matches this year (singles and doubles) according to the ATP tennis site. I am not a mathematician, but that is a lot of tennis...particularly with his style of play. Why play extra doubles tennis when the schedule is so brutal to begin with? His "team" is working him like a rented mule....

And judging by some of the posted pics of his foot, those cuts/calluses/blisters will take a long time to heel.....I believe they will take at least 3-4 weeks to heel, and that's with rest....

Its actually made him a better more rounded player and he doesnt run a whole lot in doubles....the better question is why did he play Barcelona, to whcih we know the answer but maybe he will learn for the future(better yet the ATP will learn, but I doubt that will happen).

Mansewerz
05-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Are ATP pros required to play a certain amount of doubles per year?

bluescreen
05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
no, they're not. and i agree with themodernera, it was a stupid idea to play doubles in monte carlo. its not like he needed the extra court time.

Vision84
05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
If he is playing doubles then he has no right to complain about the scheduling. Most pros don't do both.

Nadal_Monfils
05-07-2008, 06:50 PM
A lot of players play doubles to get accustomed to playing on a new surface, making the transition from hard courts to clay courts easier. I do agree through that Nadal should not have played doubles or Barcelona.

Not fulltime player
05-08-2008, 03:41 AM
More than rational, the truth, he wants doubles ranking points enough to can play doubles tournament at Pekin Olympics.

Not fulltime player
05-08-2008, 03:46 AM
More than rational, the truth, he wants doubles ranking points enough to can play doubles tournament at Pekin Olympics.

Nadal/Robredo are trying to be the second spanish pair, after Lopez/Verdasco at the Olympics.

Tempest344
05-08-2008, 04:22 AM
because he wanted to
maybe he felt it may help his game?