PDA

View Full Version : Yay Juan Carlos is BACK

dunlop kid
05-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Ferrero just beat nadal on clay which hopefully means hes back to his brilliant best.Does anyone think it was a fluke or is he back to his best?

bluescreen
05-07-2008, 06:45 PM
actually, juan carlos was kinda just THERE. nadal was GONE. at least his feet were. technically, its not a fluke or a return to form because nadal was obviously not at 100%.

Vision84
05-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Nadal was injured but played through it rather than retiring.

pow
05-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Nadal was injured but played through it rather than retiring.

This is why I can admire Nadal no matter the outcome because he doesn't just roll over when the going gets tough *cough* Djokovic.

Chauvalito
05-07-2008, 07:15 PM
This is why I can admire Nadal no matter the outcome because he doesn't just roll over when the going gets tough *cough* Djokovic.

Agreed, Nadal showed some real grit today. that was a brutal blister on his foot.

Credit to Ferrero, but if not for the scheduling issues of the clay season I suspect Nadal would have no trouble today, as usual.

johnny ballgame
05-07-2008, 07:16 PM
actually, juan carlos was kinda just THERE.

C'mon now. JCF was crushing the ball today. Give credit where it is due.

Tennisguy777
05-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Poor Nadal: Lost on my birthday. He must be feeling horrible cause I am. I wanted him to be #1 by years end.

flyer
05-07-2008, 07:17 PM
i'll give him credit when he beats somebody respectable who is not injured, you cant say a guy is back when they beat somebody thats injured and nowhere near 100%

[d]ragon
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
i just love how when a high ranked pro gets beaten, there always some who post something like "X's career beginning to shine?" (or "X's time is over")

johnny ballgame
05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
i'll give him credit when he beats somebody respectable who is not injured, you cant say a guy is back when they beat somebody thats injured and nowhere near 100%

How about beating the crap out of Nalbandian in Australia this year? Or beating Blake in route to the qtrs of Wimbledon last year. Or beating Gonzo twice last fall. Or Gasquet in Monte Carlo last year. Good enough wins for you?

Look, I'm not predicting slam wins or a return to the top 5. But JCF is a very, very good player. A fact that is proved by his consistent top ~25 ranking during the last 3 yrs or so.

dunlop kid
05-07-2008, 07:33 PM
No matter if nadal wasnt at 100% alot of players still wouldve lost to him.And it wasnt as if ferrero struggled 75 61 is quite easy.In the first nadal wasnt that off its just ferrero is a very very good player.

HoVa
05-07-2008, 07:35 PM
C'mon now. JCF was crushing the ball today. Give credit where it is due.

agreed. JCF was on fire.

And he had the perfect strategy. Attack Nadal's backhand by drawing him wide. And then start using angles/depth to keep Nadal offbalance.

It also helped that he was nailing each and every corner.

dunlop kid
05-07-2008, 07:40 PM
agreed. JCF was on fire.

And he had the perfect strategy. Attack Nadal's backhand by drawing him wide. And then start using angles/depth to keep Nadal offbalance.

It also helped that he was nailing each and every corner.

Totally correct

TheTruth
05-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Glad to see JCF back. He's one of my favorites, but it would have been better without the blisters! Still, JCF was hot today. He came out with a plan and stuck to it!

counter_puncher
05-07-2008, 08:14 PM
this guy is the man. he will go all the way. roland garros 2008!

samster
05-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Nadal had a big blister on his right foot. Ever try playing tennis with a big blister?

quest01
05-07-2008, 08:21 PM
this guy is the man. he will go all the way. roland garros 2008!

I highly doubt that. The only reason Ferrero won this match is because Nadal was injured. If Nadal was at 100% Ferrero wouldn't have had a chance.

Cyclone
05-07-2008, 08:21 PM
now, i may be a bit biased because JCF is one of my all time favorite players, but I think it's a huge win for him, as was said above, even on a bad day for nadal, the guy's still like 104-1 on clay, you gotta suspect that sometime during this amazing run he's had off days and injured days, and still won.

granted, i'm sure nadal was tired coming off of a bunch of great tournaments where he either went deep or won

however, JCF is an extremely talented clay courter, and it's taken him a bit of time to find his form and confidence again after chicken pox contributed to ruining his clay court domination. hopefully, he can win the French!!!

Nadal_Freak
05-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Glad to see JCF back. He's one of my favorites, but it would have been better without the blisters! Still, JCF was hot today. He came out with a plan and stuck to it!
Agreed. I am also a fan of JCF. Great guy as well. Hope for the best with him.

stormholloway
05-07-2008, 08:27 PM
So did that blister come out of nowhere? He just won a final in Barca. Are you telling me the blister appeared after that?

Ferrero was matching Nadal shot for shot and had a great strategy that he implemented perfectly. Ferrero was not "just there". That's ridiculous.

Stchamps
05-07-2008, 08:45 PM
JCF also has a groin injury, so Nadal wasn't the only one injured.

superstition
05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
So did that blister come out of nowhere? He just won a final in Barca. Are you telling me the blister appeared after that?
Nadal said it began in the previous tournament and got worse.

DarthMaul
05-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Did you give credit to Djoker after his win in the AO SF?

127mph
05-07-2008, 11:20 PM
JCF used to be the man to beat on clay and on hardcourt he was up there too, but then he got chicken pox in 2004 and hasnt been the same. i thought he would turn it around after cincy when he made it to the finals in 06, but whatevs.

FEDEXP
05-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Geez credit where credit is due; certainly the Brits on the Tennis Channel did. In fact it was stated that the win today was the equal of Juan Carlos's win at the French Open.Ferrero showed great intelligence out there and actually he kept going to Nadal's forehand, producing errors. His concentration was awesome to watch.

Nadal did not appear to be injured in the least in that first set. If anything though (and hats off to Nadal for playing through the match) those amazing blisters (one in particular) might just show competitors down the way that anyone can have feet of clay at any given time..

kalic
05-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Did he use O3 (ozone) or POG longbodies yesterday ? I did not see the match... Btw, JCF still had the most beautiful forehand on the tour...

dunlop kid
05-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Ferreoro is awesome.Nadal wasnt too bad but ferrero was just too good on the day.

Arrows
05-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Ferrero certainly learned much from MC last week... All congratulations to him. Great tennis.

Arrows
"No, it's Wigner's friend."

babbette
05-08-2008, 02:21 AM
JCF just got lucky fighting against a jaded and blistered Nadal. Nadal destroyed him in Monte Carlo 6-4-6-1 and it would've been the same today if Nadal was 100%.
Poor Nadal, i hope he gets rest. Preferrably, i wouldn't want him to go to Hamburg so he could be fully fit for RG, but then that would mean losing more points. :( How many points does he lose in ROMe and how much would he lose if he skips Hamburg?

He's class act, though, carrying on with the match and congratulating JCF after. JCF said he had an injury too though but he carried on. Seems he refuses to believe that the only reason he won was because Nadal was injured.

ATP, also, is getting a good bashing from Nadal, and rightly so!

dunlop kid
05-08-2008, 02:24 AM
I mean Ferrero is a 1 of a kind clay courter.Maybe if nadal wasnt here he would've won maybe 3 french opens.

babbette
05-08-2008, 02:26 AM
^^Not with people like Gonzalez, Ferrer and a few others good clay courters around.

Nadal's presser for those who haven't seen it.
RAFAEL NADAL POST MATCH INTERVIEW

Rafael Nadal after his loss to Juan Carlos Ferrero at the press conference

Q. When did you first start feeling the problem with the foot?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the Sunday in the night. When I wake up for 6:00 in the morning for come here, I put the foot on the floor and I can't put the foot on the floor. So I call the trainer for my trainer for come to the room and put something for can go to the airport, and I did.

Q. So you were in pain when you were moving, when you were running on the court, were you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, it's very difficult prepare in a match, you know. For sure Juan Carlos is a very tough opponent.
So especially if you are playing Masters Series and you are not 100%, it's impossible win the matches, no? Especially in this tournament. Every match is very tough and Juan Carlos is a very good player, so congratulate him. Today I wasn't play my best tennis, so I the true is I didn't feel very good on court. I can't put the legs on the floor with my power. I can't put the ball long, so every time I play very short because I don't have power in the legs. Because I have this point the point behind the foot, pain, so it was tough for me to. But anyway, I happy about my attitude: try to go on court and try to try my best.

Q. Were you close to not play? Were you hesitating not to play?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, today in the morning when I wake up I say it's impossible to play, no? Later, I come here, prepare in the practice. I was in the doctor's, like yesterday and before yesterday, and they put special protection, very big protection. They put some cream, anesthetic cream, something like this, for didn't feel the same pain. Anyway, it's tough, because when the foot was inside of the well, I can't put the foot like this. I always went like this because I scared, no? So, you know, the calendar is impossible. Last week and in Barcelona everybody is talking about how you feel about the calendar and everything. I said for me going to be impossible four weeks in a row playing well, no? They told me, Yes, but you have already two playing very well. I said, Yes, but in a few days you going to see why it's impossible, and disappointing they going to see. Finally they see it's impossible, no? Just congratulate Juan Carlos, because this is an important win for him, I think. He's trying to go to Olympics, too, so important points for him. Just happy for him because he's a nice guy and a very good player. That's it, no? I just try to at home have some rest, and after try to go with my best feelings to Hamburg.

Q. You know that Etienne of the ATP is here. Are you going to talk to him and say the same thing you told us about the calendar, what you said in Barcelona? I know you have told him already, but do you think there is a chance that something can change, or you don't think anything will change?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't have nothing to speak with this man, no? Not more.

Q. Don't trust him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Lose more time trying to fight for nothing it's very stupid, so I have it's stupid. Last year I have a lot of time lose a lot of time trying to understand why he doing these things, and he's impossible to understand. So right now it's not the moment for speak about that because I lose, and when I lose always the people think about it as an excuse for my lose. So I spoke about this in Monte Carlo and Barcelona when I win. When I lose I don't like to speak about these things.

Q. Does this mean your participation in Hamburg is maybe under threat because of injury?

RAFAEL NADAL: Hopefully no, no? Because two Masters Series without play in the best conditions on clay going to kill me, no? So I hope not.

Q. Every place where you lose you are unhappy for sure, but Rome you are more unhappy than somewhere else, or not, or all the same?

RAFAEL NADAL: For sure it's very important tournament for me here. Lose here is very, very tough for me just for everything, no? For the crowd because the crowd support me a lot always. So I just can say thanks very much, because probably I won in 2005 and 2006 for the support of the crowd. So that's tough for me. Very nice for me coming back here, but at the same time, very disappointing for me to come here without my best preparation. That's true, no? Finally, I can't do more, no? I play my best and I am here. I try to prepare with my best motivation the first two days here practicing: first day twenty minutes; second day one hour but without move and without play points, without nothing.
So it's very difficult to prepare for a tournament like this, no?

Q. (In Italian.) What was your feeling inside especially being used to winning so much? Was there any particular feeling that you felt losing today?

RAFAEL NADAL: The feeling is, well, normally I know more than you how tough is win a lot of the matches on clay and in every surface, so I am prepared for this moment because I know already when I go on court everything can happen and I can lose every day. Right now for sure I'm disappointing because it's very important tournament for me and important because I have chances for improve in the ranking and for don't lose points and continue to improve in the race. Disappointing for me I can't be 100% and I can't win, so it was tough.

zagor
05-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Ferrero playes some great tennis against Nadal,I don't think anyone can deny that even if Nadal was obviously far from 100%.I honestly don't know about
Ferrero,I thought he finally found his game again when he played amazing in Cinncinati two years ago(where coincidentally he also beat Nadal although that win was on fast hardcourt)but then after that tournament he kind faded away again.I really wish all the best to him,he's in my opinion probably the nicest player on tour.

babbette
05-08-2008, 02:44 AM
let's see how far JCF will go now. I mean, who was talking about him before yesterday????????:confused:

pound cat
05-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Ferrero was in the zone yesterday and was amazing to watch. He ran everything down and ran Nadal from side to side for the entire match. Will definitely watch his next match to see if he can sustain this type of tennis.

bcast66
05-08-2008, 03:01 AM
a win is a win. and stop using the blister as an excuse he chose to enter the tournament like an idiot...... and this is just like those fed fans blaming mono for every loss he has, just pathetic. im glad nadal didn't use this as an excuse though, at least he has a little respect from me now.

Robbie_1988
05-08-2008, 03:14 AM

Agreed. Nadal is a great fighter. Although I would advise you not to mock Djokovic. I wonder when Balls in your court will come around to try and defend the Joker's honour. Oh wait, what honour?

babbette
05-08-2008, 03:19 AM
Gonzalez, retired, Almagro gets walkover. Yikes. Everyone should just reitre and let Thomas Fabbiano win.

LeftyServe
05-08-2008, 04:26 AM
I like Nadal, but I just don't understand these excuse-makers, just dying to take the shine off a great win by JCF. I bet most of you didn't even see the match. And now you're coming off with that sour grape Serena attitude. It was the same with Nalbandian beating Fed in the TMC a couple of years ago. Personally if my guy got beat, I'd want to give proper respect to the guy who beat him.

stormholloway
05-08-2008, 04:34 AM
JCF just got lucky fighting against a jaded and blistered Nadal. Nadal destroyed him in Monte Carlo 6-4-6-1 and it would've been the same today if Nadal was 100%.
Poor Nadal, i hope he gets rest. Preferrably, i wouldn't want him to go to Hamburg so he could be fully fit for RG, but then that would mean losing more points. :( How many points does he lose in ROMe and how much would he lose if he skips Hamburg?

He's class act, though, carrying on with the match and congratulating JCF after. JCF said he had an injury too though but he carried on. Seems he refuses to believe that the only reason he won was because Nadal was injured.

ATP, also, is getting a good bashing from Nadal, and rightly so!

Did you even watch that match? There was no luck involved. Look, I don't see how Nadal's blisters got worse since the final in Barca. If anything, they had time to heal.

Ferrero outplayed Nadal. Was Nadal in top form? No, but you can't always be in top form. Any player would have had a hell of a time beating Nadal as Ferrero did and 99% of the field still would have lost. Ferrero played outstanding tennis.

Bug off troll.

babbette
05-08-2008, 04:50 AM
hey i'm not a troll!:(

I was a JCF fan before a Nadal fan, and I admire a lot of other players too, i just don't post a lot. If you notice my register date, i've been here for quite a while.

I'm going mostly on how the JCF/Nadal rivalry has been going and under normal circumstances, Rafa would've won. I did watch the match, and JCF did play some amazing points, but it looked even better than usual because Nadal couldn't perform to his best.

I actually want JCF to go on to win now, but i doubt he will.

johnny ballgame
05-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Ferrero,I thought he finally found his game again when he played amazing in Cinncinati two years ago(where coincidentally he also beat Nadal although that win was on fast hardcourt)but then after that tournament he kind faded away again.

The thing is, he never really faded away since 2005. If you look at his rankings history, he has been as high as #15 every year since 2005. But that is where he hits a plateau. He'll fluctuate between 15 and 25 and can't seem to break through. But I don't think that's fading away.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-08-2008, 06:22 AM
I wouldn't jump to conclusions he's back. He played well, very true, kept his head and everything, but he also played a Nadal who wasn't at his usual. I wouldn't say it was a fluke, he played good tennis. But back to his best IMO is stretching it a bit.

cknobman
05-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Anyone who says JCF didnt outplay Nadal yesterday is full of it. Maybe the second set JCF got a break because of Nadal's blister but anyone who watched the match would know JCF took the first set and that had NOTHING to do with Nadal's fatigue or blisters. Nadal was at 100% for that first set but JCF just plain out played him.

Ocean Drive
05-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Neither was at 100 percent, but the first set and a bit was highly contested from both. Beating Nadal is no fluke, having to win several points. But no, he probably is not back to his best, he doesn't move quite as well as back then and he has lost a lot of confidence and self belief. This win won't change a whole lot.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-08-2008, 07:04 AM
Anyone who says JCF didnt outplay Nadal yesterday is full of it. Maybe the second set JCF got a break because of Nadal's blister but anyone who watched the match would know JCF took the first set and that had NOTHING to do with Nadal's fatigue or blisters. Nadal was at 100% for that first set but JCF just plain out played him.

I, for one, am not disagreeing. I watched the match. And one could almost see in JCF's eyes that he was there to succeed. No doubt about that. But to say later it wasn't a factor of Nadal's condition...well hm. Never understood the challenging nature of some posts. Honestly would have been sweeter true without this saying of Nadal's condition, but Juan played very well. I was quite pleased as he's always been one of my favorite players, on and off the court.

NamRanger
05-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Nadal plays injured constantly, this is not a new thing for him. JCF just ripped forehands like no tomorrow.

mrmo1115
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
i must agree

jcf really deserved the win he was playing some outstanding tennis

mrmo1115
05-08-2008, 10:35 AM
too bad jcf looks like hes going to lose to stan wawrinka

BreakPoint
05-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Nadal looked fine to me. He didn't look nor play any different than against Ferrer in the Barcelona final a few days ago. Yes, he had a blister on his foot but so do most pros. And it was so taped up that I doubt he could feel it much. I really don't think Nadal has any excuse at all. Ferrero just simply outplayed Nadal and made fewer unforced errors. That's the bottom line.

dunlop kid
05-08-2008, 01:32 PM
No one should forget that ferrero was also injured with a groin injury.

stormholloway
05-08-2008, 01:33 PM
So much for the Ferrero come back. He looked pedestrian against a monster in Wawrinka.

TheTruth
05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Seems most Nadal fans also like JCF. Not surprising, since they're both classy guys!

ruski07
05-08-2008, 05:12 PM
after his straight sets loss today im inclined to say he isnt back, dont think he'll ever crack top 10 again, i want him 2, i luv his game, but dont c it happening

LeftyServe
05-08-2008, 05:42 PM
after his straight sets loss today im inclined to say he isnt back, dont think he'll ever crack top 10 again, i want him 2, i luv his game, but dont c it happening

This had more to do with Stan, who's playing out of his mind. Did you see the match?

ruski07
05-08-2008, 05:47 PM
This had more to do with Stan, who's playing out of his mind. Did you see the match?

nah man just saw the result on atp.com n the score looked like it was fair routine

FEDEXP
05-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Nothing about that match was "fair routine". If you didn't see it you couldn't know.

ruski07
05-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Nothing about that match was "fair routine". If you didn't see it you couldn't know.

"ease up turbo"

35ft6
05-08-2008, 10:54 PM
For a while, before Nadal, Ferrero easily had the nastiest ground game on clay. I know Guga is a modern clay god, but when I used to see them play, it seemed like Ferrero would dictate more than Guga did. It'd be good to see his nasty strokes back in contention.

dunlop kid
05-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Maybe his injury flared up.after alll he was injured?

A-Rod6600
05-09-2008, 01:34 AM
I do not agree, see who he lost to then? lol

Pleepers
05-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Nevermind! ;)