PDA

View Full Version : Man, these Pro X1's are sweet rackets!!

Coria
01-12-2005, 09:52 AM
I've been playing for a long time. This Slazenger Pro X1 is the best racket I've ever used. It really has it all. The weight is so nice. Although I've always felt I had to have a 18-19 beam, the 20 mm beam on this racket feels great. The racket is highly maneuverable and provides very good power, excellent control and great spin potential. Serving and volleying is so smooth with this stick.

It's one thing to love your racket and have great confidence in it, but then to have such an awesome looking frame (the nicest color scheme I've seen), a tremendous feeling grip that absorbs vibration like no other racket I've tried and on top of all that--a very sharp looking racket bag. Man, Slazenger scored a knockout with this package. It's worth a demo for anybody(4.5 and above) still deciding or looking to improve their game.

Mies
01-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I cannot get my hands on a demo here in Holland *spit*......
Anyways, Coria, have you hit with the Volkl tour 10 v-engine mid? Could you compare it to the slaz?

Regards

ferrari_827
01-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Glad to hear this. It's great to have a racket which almost inspires you to play tennis and looks like a work of art at the same time (!!).

And to top it off, to have a nice-looking bad. My IPrestige bag is rather cheesy looking. Oh well.

I think my favorite tennis bag of all time is the Wilson PS6.0, and I mean the old version with the yellow and red stripes.

Coria
01-12-2005, 10:51 AM
I did hit with the VE Tour 10 mid. It's a great racket. I love the thin beam but it does feel a tad heavy for me. For other players, it may not.

The biggest difference is that the VE Tour 10 mid is not that forgiving. Off center hits can produce a harsh feeling. I couldn't seem to generate quite the racket head speed that I can with the Pro X1. Also, it's not particulary great for spins. It's adequate but I clearly noticed an increased ability to hit my topspin groundstrokes and second serves more easily and effectively with the X1. Actually, I demoed them both at the same time. I had demoed 16 rackets (yes, believe it) in the last 75 days. Besides the X1, my three favorites were the Yonex RDX mid, the Diablo mid and the VE Tour 10 mid. Out of those three, I probably liked the RDX mid the best, but I could generate a little more power with the Diablo mid. However, this racket tired out my arm, even more so than the VE tour 10 mid. Out of those three, the VE Tour 10 mid has the least "touch"--in my opinion.

Dedans Penthouse
01-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Mies: As Coria noted, the Slaz. X-1 is VERY spin friendly as it has a very "open" string pattern. Good frame but you had better be able to put some serious topspin on the ball because (in my humble opinion) the X-1 has a little more pop than most "players" racquets, that is, I found the ball to sail long. When I tried it, it was strung with a soft multi (NXT-17 gauge) at around 56 lbs., so maybe the frame's sweetspot power needs to be "tamed" with a higher tension or a stiffer string.

Jerry Seinfeld
01-12-2005, 03:06 PM
The X-1 is a sweet stick. I also found it to have a little bit more zippity-doo-da than most player's sticks I have hit with. Overall a solid frame with a terrific paint job.

BLiND
01-13-2005, 01:17 AM
I've played with the RDX500 Mid which I liked (but prefered my LM Prestige Mid), I have both a Diablo Mid, and X1 on its way to me... will post my findings when I get a chance to play with them.

Mies
01-13-2005, 11:43 PM
I hit with the VE 10 MID yesterday and it felt just great. Good weight and balance, nice feel when the ball impacts, however, I found it very very low powered as compared to say an RDX 500 MID (which I also had with me) or the LM Prestige MID. Now the VE was strung very tight with some kind of synthetic (TOA Gold it was I think). Can any of you who hit with it comment on the power lvl? Perhaps with a different string setup I could get a little more power?. This is the only thing keeping me from ordering a VE mid 10 right now.......I fear I cannot keep it up over a 2 hour 3 set clay court match with it's current power lvl.

Regards

bob
01-14-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm going to demo one from a local shop. What is the ideal tension and string choice for the X1?

Dorellik
01-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Ciao ,
I have bought a used Slazenger ProBraided Tim Henman signature (the black/silver/gold) as a "tribute" to Tim (the best volleyman of these days IMHO), and after few hits i fall in love with "her".
Great control and touch, good power, manovrabilty and confort, with the PB i have improved my tennis game.
From some year Slazenger raquets are not imported in Italy, so i can't demo the new X1, it is a sin, because Slazenger make a very good product.

Have a nice game, bye.

Young Siward
01-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Ciao ,
I have bought a used Slazenger ProBraided Tim Henman signature (the black/silver/gold) as a "tribute" to Tim (the best volleyman of these days IMHO), and after few hits i fall in love with "her".
Great control and touch, good power, manovrabilty and confort, with the PB i have improved my tennis game.
From some year Slazenger raquets are not imported in Italy, so i can't demo the new X1, it is a sin, because Slazenger make a very good product.

Have a nice game, bye.

I have a pro carbon ti in grey. Was thinking about going for that Probraided. Doen't Henman play with the ProBraided colour scheme on his X1? It makes it very confusing...

BreakPoint
01-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Doen't Henman play with the ProBraided colour scheme on his X1? It makes it very confusing...

For all we know, Henman plays with a Wilson PS 6.1 Classic with a Slazenger paintjob.

BLiND
01-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Got the X1 today... have to say the paint isn't as nice as my LM Prestige, and while it feels lighter, the balance doesnt feel as head-light. Will see how she plays on Sunday.

BreakPoint
01-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Coria,
Just out of curiosity, did you happen to read my comparative review with the Slaz Pro X1 before getting these? If so, would you agree or disagree with my assessment of the X1? If you haven't read it, here it is: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BREAKP02.html

Coria
01-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I think you did a nice job with that. I'd give the X1 a little higher score in comfort and touch/feel--that's the main thing that stands out. For me personally, it's more comfortable than the RDX mid.

BreakPoint
01-16-2005, 08:38 PM
I agree that the X1 does an amazing job of absorbing shock and vibraton. It is indeed very comfortable relative to most racquets on the stiffer side. However, since I normally prefer more flexible racquets, I could still feel the inherent stiffness. That's the only reason I didn't score it even higher on comfort.

I'm glad you've found your holy grail. Keep us updated on if you still feel the same way after you've spent more time with it. As we all know, whether we like it or not, there usually seems to be a honeymoon period when it comes to tennis racquets. I think Criag Sheppard has already switched back to his old racquet. I'm also very, very tempted to switch to it from my PS 6.0 95.

hedonist
01-17-2005, 12:50 AM
For all we know, Henman plays with a Wilson PS 6.1 Classic with a Slazenger paintjob.

Agree, Henman probably plays the PS61c without the PWS. But I cant understand why his racquet still has the paint of the discontinued Slaz PBH (from a marketing point of view)?