PDA

View Full Version : which racquet for me?

newbie123
03-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi, I'm a high school tennis player. I'm not very sure of my ability but i would say i'm somewhere around a 3.0(bad day) - 3.5(good day) player. I currently use the Wilson Hyper Hammer 6.6 w/ Rollers. I dont think many of you have played with this racquet since they dont make it any more and not many people seem to have bought this. I'm not very familiar with racquets but from a few reviews i have read with it...this is an advanced players racquet with good control and pretty good power but it is light..around 10.8 oz I think. What kind of racquet would you guys recommend for me to get later on? I'm looking for a racquet thats forgiving but has good control and overall playability. I heard the Prince POG OS was a good racquet but i'm not sure if i'll adjust to the heavy weight. What do you guys think?

THanks

Thunnus
03-24-2004, 06:08 PM
It is hard to say without knowing your game and goals in tennis. If you are a serious player who want to improve year by year for a while, I would suggest that you get a heavier, low powered but reasonably forgiving tennis racket.

POG OS is such a racquet. Consider the following as well:

Babolat Pure Control/Pure Control Zylon
Prince Diablo Mid+
Head Liquid Metal Instinct
Head Prestige Mid+
Yonex Ti-80
Wilson HPS 6.1

Choosing a racquet is highly personal thing, so try a few of these and others, and see what you like.

Ronaldo
03-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Head Ti Radical may give you a little more control.

matt5789
03-24-2004, 06:49 PM
wilson surge or surge X
wilson hammer tour
babolat pure drive zylon

these are all excellent choices but also consider the dunlop 300G

newbie123
03-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Does the Ti.Radical OS also have pretty good control? Anyone with this racquet? How does it compare with the i.Radical?

Thanks guys

bendover
03-24-2004, 09:36 PM
I would recommend the dunlop 300g. Its great for a high school player such as your self. Its lightweight, excellent control and power. If you are thinking about buying this racket, get the midplus and avoid the oversize racket.

Robert Jones
03-25-2004, 07:06 PM
I would get a low powered model. Don't go over 100sqi for the head size. I think low powered small head sticks will force you to become a
better player.

The 300g is popular good suggestion. Around 11.5oz and up in weight.

There are many good ones out there. Try to demo some before you buy.

kreative
03-25-2004, 09:26 PM
gah, i wrote a post and it didn't get through.

anyhow, as soon as i read over your post, i thought 300G would be a perfect transition. reading over the replies, i guess others feel and suggest the same. w/ a 98" midplus headsize, it's foregiving, and it's weight is similar to your racquet now, which should aid in a smooth transition. great racquet speed, w/ a good blend of control and power. it also makes a good foundation for customization w/ lead tape later on if you want a little more weight or stability in it.