PDA

View Full Version : Have hard court players figured out how to play on clay?

coloskier
05-08-2008, 11:10 AM
With the recent results of Querrey, Roddick, Blake (both singles and doubles), and Karlovic, do you think that these power players have figured out they can still play a power game on clay and win? I mean, it is now 3 QF showings in the Master Series tourneys already.

I guess we will find out when they play the likes of Fed, Nadal, and Davydenko.

Andres
05-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Karlovic has a waaaaay better feel for the dirt than any of those other guys.

Ivo has had some interesting results on clay in the past, and moves on it better than the hardcourters. He usually plays on clay back in his club in Zagreb (a friend of mine trains in the same club... CroSen, you probably know her :))

Moose Malloy
05-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Due to byes Blake & Roddick only had to win 2 matches to get the Qf's. let's not get carried away. I remember the year Todd Martin won Barcelona, he was still considered a non factor by pretty much everyone when the French started(& promptly proved that by losing 1st round)

When there are enough tournaments on a particular surface, anyone's capable of making a run on that surface once in a while. Doing it consistently is another matter. I would bet there are no Americans in the QF of Hamburg or in the 2nd week(meaning 4th round) of the French this year.

Plus fastcourt players have done at Rome over the years(Sampras won it, Krajicek made the finals, Roddick made the semis)

Nadal_Freak
05-08-2008, 12:11 PM
No because Rome is faster than other clay courts. Roland Garros will be slower and they will go out early as usual. Ivo has the best chance of the 3 though.

dh003i
05-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Interesting that Ivo moves well on clay...who'd have thought that?

rnrockz1
05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Ivo's favorite surface is Clay!

Nadal_Freak
05-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Ivo's favorite surface is Clay!
Ivo's favorite surface is how well he is serving that day. When on, he is unbreakable.

rnrockz1
05-08-2008, 12:52 PM
No because Ivo won his first ATP title on clay!

coloskier
05-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Ivo's favorite surface is how well he is serving that day. When on, he is unbreakable.

His serve is kind of like Roddick, wouldn't you say? Aren't they 1-3 in aces and 1-5 in service games won %?

Nadal_Freak
05-08-2008, 07:04 PM
His serve is kind of like Roddick, wouldn't you say? Aren't they 1-3 in aces and 1-5 in service games won %?
Ivo's serve is much better with the angles. That allows him more aces on clay courts. Roddick has a bigger serve but is better anticipated by great returners. Easier to read but on a fast surface it doesn't matter as it is too big to handle.

flyer
05-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Correct, hes actually said almost the exact same thing

bluetrain4
05-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I actually don't think they've figured anything out, just played their games well.

Surfaces, obviously, make a big difference, but tennis is still tennis. If If Roddick gets hot on his serve, or Blake is "on" with his groundstrokes, they can make runs on clay. These are, after all, top ten players with big weapons. They may be a little more patient, and that helps, but it's not like they're changing their games and becoming Nadal clones.

Edberg made the finals of the FO (and won clay tourneys) playing his game. Maybe he had to stay back a little bit more, but he sure as hell wasn't going to win without coming to net.

So, I'm not surprised by these results. I don't expect Blake and Roddick to be having these results consisently, but a generally strong player, the right draw, and a few points here and there where they are more patient, and a good clay result is the result.

MajinX
05-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I actually don't think they've figured anything out, just played their games well.

Surfaces, obviously, make a big difference, but tennis is still tennis. If If Roddick gets hot on his serve, or Blake is "on" with his groundstrokes, they can make runs on clay. These are, after all, top ten players with big weapons. They may be a little more patient, and that helps, but it's not like they're changing their games and becoming Nadal clones.

Edberg made the finals of the FO (and won clay tourneys) playing his game. Maybe he had to stay back a little bit more, but he sure as hell wasn't going to win without coming to net.

So, I'm not surprised by these results. I don't expect Blake and Roddick to be having these results consisently, but a generally strong player, the right draw, and a few points here and there where they are more patient, and a good clay result is the result.

exactly, a change in surface would not make top ten players completely useless, even tho both players are not great clay court players, i would expect them playing on clay just makes them similair to top 30 players on hard courts and top 30s do win if they play well.

127mph
05-08-2008, 11:26 PM
When people talk about Americans playing on clay they make it sound like its is a different sport. Really, its still tennis, and it's the American style of play that doesn't add up. It also doesn't help that no one plays on clay for the most part in the states. Besides Agassi and Connors, there has been no tacticians from America. Americans usually have a weapon shot and their whole game revolves around it and hitting winners off of it along with athleticism. On clay having a big weapon isn't enough. You have to last through the point and set it up.

Federer doesn't really play any differently on clay than he does on hard courts, but his game and strokes are all solid enough that all he needs to do his play tennis his way and he can be the second best clay courter since 2005.