PDA

View Full Version : Customizing an i.Radical

Aggro
05-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi there - Right a little bit of back story to this one im afraid but if you do manage to read to the end il be very thankful !

Im 19 and up until last year was ranked 3rd in my county - not sure which ranking this equates to in U.S.A 5.5 maybe ? Im mostly a powerful player, big serve, powerful strokes, backhand weapon - i only volley to finish off points and cut off the angle or sometimes a S&V to mix it up.

Im coming to the end of my 1st out of 5 years at uni (England) and naturally joined my tennis team. I played the number 2 spot in the team. Through out the year i used my pro staff tour 90 (stock) My pro staffs weigh in at around 370g strung with no lead as i didnt want to change during season and as i really didn't want it to hinder my game. I played well through out and finished the season on a high.

(we are getting somewhere . . ) Last month i played with the 1st team player's racquet and i.radical (PJ LM) with lead all around the head completly covering it with C.A.P grommets. The racquet was perfectly balanced not sure whether he put lead in the handle or not.

I played amazing with it - i have been hitting with it for a month now and i hate going back to my pro staffs. SO naturally i bought 2 and they are on their way here.

Lead is not a very common thing in the U.K not even at county level people take their racquets for what they are and customize with strings and tension. So i have not done anything like this before and was wondering what advice anybody can give me on this ?

e.g.

>Placement
>Amount
>Does it affect string tension (higher or lower)
>Is it easily removed and put on
>Would this be ok for the job ?
http://cgi.****.co.uk/LEAD-TAPE-FOR-TENNIS-RACQUETS-WILSON-HEAD-DONNAY_W0QQitemZ270234830973QQihZ017QQcategoryZ208 71QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
replace the *'s

I no experimentation is a must here but if i could get some starting points then it would be a big help.
Was thinkin about putting it on the outside of the racquet underneath the CAP grommets. As i own a stringing machine restringing to change lead is not a problem.

Thank you for reading and hope anyone has got any advice/links to guides

Cheers !

bronco_mba
05-08-2008, 02:18 PM
You may find some useful information here:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

AlpineCadet
05-08-2008, 02:20 PM
The AlpineCadet setup is pretty amazing. :) I use the LM Radical MP, BTW.

17-20 grams inside the throat, depending on how much power/maneuverability you want. Add a leather grip to balance out the frame.

I was experimenting, and fell in love with it. It's been around 3 (?) months, and I still have no complaints.

Aggro
05-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Racquets just cleared customs in the U.K so should be here within the next couple of days. I want to pu lead around the outside of the head underneath the grommets. so for this would . . .

I need 1/2" tape and then use an awl to push holes through the head (from outside pushing in?) or 1/4" tape ?

I was thinkin about going to a club i play at and asking a coach to do it as i have lack of faith in my abilities.

Im playing with the guy 2moro so hopefully i break his strings and can see his setup :p

On another note - which C.A.P grommets fit into the I.Radical MP incase i need to order some replacements ?