PDA

View Full Version : Are oversize frames generally not recommended?

tsongaali
05-08-2008, 04:26 PM
I own an OS Prince racquet (110 sq. in.) but I heard people say that very few good players use OS. Also it seems that with an OS frame you frame more balls ironically. OS frames also produce more shock and less control, and almost all OS racquets are head heavy and light weight. Is this why most choose to get a mid or midplus?

kinsella
05-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Play the racquet the works for you and pay no attention to the praise for types that you do not prefer. Some guy named Agassi did OK with an OS.

Nitro
05-08-2008, 05:26 PM
As a general rule, "player's frames" tend to be midplus or midsize. So if your asking whether most players use a mid+, then the answer is yes. Thats not to say that all people who use OS racquets aren't good or that good players don't sometimes use os racquets.

pmerk34
05-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Play the racquet the works for you and pay no attention to the praise for types that you do not prefer. Some guy named Agassi did OK with an OS.

Yeah I hear he was pretty good. It's shame he wasn't good enought to use a Wilson PS 85 leaded up to 15 oz though. Then he would have been a real player.

lidation
05-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Some OS racquets are head light with good control such as POG OS, Head FXP Radical OS, Wilson HPS 6.1 OS.

tbini87
05-08-2008, 06:18 PM
you should go to a midplus so it isn't a huge jump to such a small frame.

OS frames are generally light, more powerful, and have less control than a mid+, which is why more good players use smaller frames.

Gellin
05-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Depending on where your game is currently and how much you actually want to improve I would stick with what you are comfortable with.

The last thing you want to do is buy a Mid size racquet just because all the "good" players are using them.

As most of us here would say, demo, demo and demo some more. Play with whatever you are the most comfortable with and don't worry too much about what everyone else is using.