PDA

View Full Version : newbie, Overgrip question.

wilfreb
05-08-2008, 06:40 PM
hi pals, i'm new here, but not new for tennis, i'm 23 and has been playing tennis for 12 years now. i'm also a huge TennisWarehouse costumer but never visited the forum.

since the beginning i always used Yonex raquets mostly from 95sq to 100sq.
right now i'm using the RDS003.

my question is, i never used overgrips cuz i find then to be to fat for my 3/8 grip but lately my hands are becoming to sweat and the OEM grip sometimes are slippery making hard to control my services.

should i use an overgrip to make it less slippery?
what should i do if i dont want my grip to become too fat?

thanks, and sorry for my poor English.

Leelord337
05-08-2008, 06:47 PM
hi pals, i'm new here, but not new for tennis, i'm 23 and has been playing tennis for 12 years now. i'm also a huge TennisWarehouse costumer but never visited the forum.

since the beginning i always used Yonex raquets mostly from 95sq to 100sq.
right now i'm using the RDS003.

my question is, i never used overgrips cuz i find then to be to fat for my 3/8 grip but lately my hands are becoming to sweat and the OEM grip sometimes are slippery making hard to control my services.

should i use an overgrip to make it less slippery?
what should i do if i dont want my grip to become too fat?

thanks, and sorry for my poor English.

:confused:??? i didnt' catch anything wrong w/your english. Sounded perfect to me...better than most people on the forums including me, :)

well I would try touragrip to make it less slippery or wilson pro overgrip too since it also has sweat absorbing properties. I don't think an overgrip will make it too fat but if it does just stretch the overgrip over the grip rather tight to make it thinner. (make sure if you try the wilson overgrip you get the kind from tennis warehouse and not the kind from Wal-mart as their wilson overgrip is totally different and feels totally different than wilson pro overgrip) btw..most people think that wilson pro and yonex supergrap are similar, so supergrap is a good choice too.

BTW, tournagrip can cause blisters and is a very rough grip compared to wilson pro or yonex

Gellin
05-08-2008, 06:52 PM
As the guys above me said, Tournagrip is a great overgrip for those with sweaty hands. It actually gets tackier as you sweat on it.

If I were you I'd just order a pack and see how you like it. Overgrips are not too expensive so you have the ability to try other brands if you don't like the TournaGrip.

Bubba
05-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Going from OEM (synthetic?!?) you probably don't need 'super duper' absorbent overgrip like Tournagrip.

You are concerned about keeping it thin... there are several overgrips such as Wilson that come in both .75 and .5mm thickness. Give them a try.

tennisdarren
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM
If you are worried about an overgrip making your grip too big to handle you could rewrap your stock Yonex grip and pull it tighter as you reapply it. That will make the grip smaller so when you add the overgrip it won't be as large. Please realize that when you pull the stock grip tighter it will not provide as mush cushion.

Another trick I have used is wrapping a small towel around the grip and taking a few warm-up swings before hitting the first ball, take the towel off and your grip feels smaller.

wilfreb
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM
wow thank you guys for the fast reply, i will try the tournagrip, but i'm very loyal to yonex and will like to know if anyone used the yonex supergrap ?

Gellin
05-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Yonex SuperGrap has a pretty big following here along with Wilson Pro Overgrip which has been said to be manufactured in the same plant.

I would definitely give SuperGrap a try also. :)

Leelord337
05-08-2008, 11:01 PM
If you are worried about an overgrip making your grip too big to handle you could rewrap your stock Yonex grip and pull it tighter as you reapply it. That will make the grip smaller so when you add the overgrip it won't be as large. Please realize that when you pull the stock grip tighter it will not provide as mush cushion.

Another trick I have used is wrapping a small towel around the grip and taking a few warm-up swings before hitting the first ball, take the towel off and your grip feels smaller.

it would definitely feel smaller but would it be smaller? :)

tennisdarren
05-09-2008, 04:13 AM
No, but it's the same principle as swinging 2 baseball bats before going out to the plate. It's a mental thing. Not perfect but it works for some people.