PDA

View Full Version : I can see Fed winning RG

Connors
05-09-2008, 06:20 AM
He's playing better and better. He's going to be looser if he plays Nadal because he knows he's the underdog, yet he knows he can play him very tight on clay. And he does have the confidence from last year's Hamburg result and winning sets from Nadal on clay.

With Nadal's physical issues springing up here and there, it's possible he might not be at his very best should they meet in the final. I believe Federer is primed to play his best tennis of the year at RG. His dominant win over Canas was huge. He's already playing better than he did when he lost 7-5, 7-5 to Nadal a couple of weeks ago.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Fed wins the French in the year where he started so poorly and people were feeling he was on the decline? Federer is looking physically strong. I actually think he's going to do it.

joeri888
05-09-2008, 06:43 AM
He's playing better and better. He's going to be looser if he plays Nadal because he knows he's the underdog, yet he knows he can play him very tight on clay. And he does have the confidence from last year's Hamburg result and winning sets from Nadal on clay.
>> Same could be said at RG last year.

With Nadal's physical issues springing up here and there, it's possible he might not be at his very best should they meet in the final.
>>> He should be having some rest now, and will be back.. he's past most players with ease in Barca and MC so he shouldn't be too wornout by the time they reach final. Besides, his schedule this year is not asa tough, because of the Rome knock-out.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Fed wins the French in the year where he started so poorly and people were feeling he was on the decline? Federer is looking physically strong. I actually think he's going to do it.

>>> I agree on that part. It would be ironic, yet Fed hass the sercond best chance. If he does it, people like Nadal_Freak should really be embarrased and I'll quote a hundred times: "Fed is done", "Federer fans live in the past", "Year end number 1 is between Djokovic and Nadal", etc.

He can do it, but Nadal remains the favourite.

zagor
05-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Don't let Rome result fool you,while Ferrero did play some great tennis it was obvious Nadal has overplayed and had some nasty blisters.When he recovers he'll still be a huge favourite for the FO,there's no question about it but yeah IMO if anyone can beat Nadal at the French it's Federer.As for Federer playing better here then in Monte Carlo,I'm not sure I agree with that,there he beat an inform Nalbandian and Djokovic and gave Nadal a tough match in the final while in Rome so far he has only beat Canas(who is in very bad form the whole year and not even close to the level he was on last year) and Karlovic(not exactly the biggest threat to Federer on any surface).It would be legendary if he were somehow to win this FO after the slump he had this year and after everybody had written him off.

sureshs
05-09-2008, 07:26 AM
This time the FO winners will be Roddick and Serena.

BjornBorg
05-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Roddick has as much of a chance as winning RG as you do.

Turning Pro
05-09-2008, 09:20 AM
^lol. true.

And a HEALTHY NADAL ON CLAY IS virtually Unbeatable. 2 times in 104 i think?

veroniquem
05-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Every year some people "see" Roger win the French. I'm starting to get used to it...

Nadal_Freak
05-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Every year some people "see" Roger win the French. I'm starting to get used to it...
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. Fed having his worst year in many years and yet people still pick him. I guess that is why they are *******s. Pick him no matter what.

illkhiboy
05-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. Fed having his worst year in many years and yet people still pick him. I guess that is why they are *******s. Pick him no matter what.

Obviously you havn't been watching tennis very long. You only started watching tennis in 2005 when Nadal started winning and his ripped muscles made you wet. See the thing is, *********, that things can change pretty quickly within a tennis season. While Federer's relatively bad year did mean he declined, his chances of winning Roland Garros remained about the same as they were last year. The results in recent weeks have showed that.

About things changing quickly...
Robredo has been struggling all year. In Monte Carlo he lost 0 and 1 to Nalbandian. Who would have thought that he would beat Davydenko this week. And who would have thought Nalbandian would suddenly catch fire and win both Madrid and Paris after having such a dreadful year.
Similar examples would be of Agassi winning the French and Sampras winning the US Open in 02 out of nowhere. Or Serena winning the Australian last year. Now the people who are sure of Federer winning the French are obviously delusional...say as delusional as a Nadal-**** saying Federer is done before the clay season began.

The balls in your court.
05-09-2008, 04:56 PM
With all due respect to Jimmy .....he never won the French open so he does not know what it takes. In fact he did not even play in the french open at all for much of his career .On the otherhand Mats wilander is one of the greatest French open players ever and he does not think that Roger can win the FO.

Nadal_Freak
05-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Obviously you havn't been watching tennis very long. You only started watching tennis in 2005 when Nadal started winning and his ripped muscles made you wet. See the thing is, *********, that things can change pretty quickly within a tennis season. While Federer's relatively bad year did mean he declined, his chances of winning Roland Garros remained about the same as they were last year. The results in recent weeks have showed that.

About things changing quickly...
Robredo has been struggling all year. In Monte Carlo he lost 0 and 1 to Nalbandian. Who would have thought that he would beat Davydenko this week. And who would have thought Nalbandian would suddenly catch fire and win both Madrid and Paris after having such a dreadful year.
Similar examples would be of Agassi winning the French and Sampras winning the US Open in 02 out of nowhere. Or Serena winning the Australian last year. Now the people who are sure of Federer winning the French are obviously delusional...say as delusional as a Nadal-**** saying Federer is done before the clay season began.
I'm just saying it is a longshot. Not that it can't happen but the votes on this board make it seem like Fed is the favorite and I do think Fed isn't quite as good as last year.

miniRafa386
05-09-2008, 06:41 PM
if a man by the name of RAFAEL NADAL is playing, heck NO.

or stepanek now

akv89
05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm just saying it is a longshot. Not that it can't happen but the votes on this board make it seem like Fed is the favorite and I do think Fed isn't quite as good as last year.

It certainly isn't a longshot. Nadal is the favorite to win RG and I don't see too many people arguing about that. But you make it seem as though it would be crazy for the #2 player on clay to win the title. It's not any crazier than saying Nadal is going to Wimbledon.

Aabye
05-09-2008, 07:38 PM
It certainly isn't a longshot. Nadal is the certainly the favorite and I don't see too many people arguing about that. But you make it seem as though it would be crazy for the #2 player on clay to win the title. It certainly isn't any crazier than saying Nadal is going to Wimbledon.

I agree on both those points: neither is outside the realm of real possibilities. But blind kads can't seem to realize that. Many have said there is "NO WAY" that Fed could win RG or Nadal Wimby.

But as to the OP, Fed winning would shut up a lot of critics, who are always so quick to jump on player. I'm no fan, but I hate to see people kick someone when they're down (although Fed's down is a lot of players' up). But I'll be rooting for Rafa to break Borg's record, and despite this week's loss I'm pretty confident in the claymonster's RG prowess.