PDA

View Full Version : Have Pro tennis players ever come to blows ?

Miami Tiburon
05-09-2008, 08:49 AM
I was just curious with all the fighting and arguing in sports Hockey ,Baseball etc.Has there ever been a fist fight on the pro tour among heated rivals in Tennis.I can't recall one, heateed arguments yes but never an all out brawl.

daddy
05-09-2008, 08:56 AM
I think spiting and nonintentional? racquet throwing are the worst I can remember.

urban
05-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Yes, Brit Roger Taylor, a former amateur boxer, once knocked out Bob Hewitt at Berlin. Injured his left hand with the blow. Bad thing for an Aussie, to get beaten up by a Brit. Maybe the reason, why Hewitt left Australia for South Africa (just kidding).

adamvann
05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
I preface this be saying that I heard this story many years ago and I don't know if it's accurate. I had heard/read that once pretty early in Agassi's career, either he was playing I believe, a South American or playing there, maybe both. Anyway, Andre had caught one of the guys serves instead of returning it in addition to getting pretty mouthy with him and the guy at some point slapped him. AGAIN, I may have the details of this wrong. If someone knows the story and would like to clarify or correct anything that I've stated, go ahead.

jamesblakefan#1
05-09-2008, 09:40 AM
The last i can remember is Ancic at the French a few weeks ago. I don't remember who the opponent was. just a simple shoving match. For the most part, tennis players are lovers, not fighters.

FedExpress
05-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Coria and Hewitt in the Davis cup one year.

Coria and i think Massu in the US Open one year as well.

I can't remember exactly what happened but i know they weren't happy with each other!

Moose Malloy
05-09-2008, 09:53 AM
I had heard/read that once pretty early in Agassi's career, either he was playing I believe, a South American or playing there, maybe both. Anyway, Andre had caught one of the guys serves instead of returning it in addition to getting pretty mouthy with him and the guy at some point slapped him. AGAIN, I may have the details of this wrong.

Agassi did catch a serve while playing a DC match in Argentina(he was blowing the guy away & decided to give him a game)

Outside of the crowd booing, nothing happened, no slapping, no jawing, etc.

Its funny how stories get embellished over the years.

Has there ever been a fist fight on the pro tour among heated rivals in Tennis.I can't recall one, heateed arguments yes but never an all out brawl.

Brad Gilbert & David Wheaton got in a showing match at the 1990 Grand Slam Cup.

If any tennis players ever got in a real fight on court , they probably would be banned for life.

Coria and Hewitt in the Davis cup one year.

Coria and i think Massu in the US Open one year as well.

I can't remember exactly what happened but i know they weren't happy with each other!

Cursing at each other is quite different than coming to blows. That didn't happen in either of the matches you named.

I think most tennis players know better than to ever actually go that far, in addition to the banning, they would look rather foolish(esp when the ball girls are restraining them)

BeHappy
05-09-2008, 09:55 AM
there was a doubles match fracas at wimbledon a year or two ago, a couple of asian,(middle eastern), guys tried to jostle the other team...

Vision84
05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
If any tennis players ever got in a real fight on court , they probably would be banned for life.

Any locker room stories?

Vision84
05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
The last i can remember is Ancic at the French a few weeks ago.

:confused:...............

daveyboy
05-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Yannick Noah and Amos Mansdorf came as close as you can get on national TV at the US Open in the late 80's (I want to say 86 or 89...probably wrong on both guesses). Mansdorf said some unkind words to Noah's wife, Noah looked right down at Mansdorf and told him, on camera "If you ever talk to my wife like that again..."....I think you get the idea.

Noah- 6'1", Mansdorf was maybe 5'8", if that. Mansdorf was former Israeli military, I think.

roddick89
05-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Murray should have started something with del potro the other day for saying stuff about his mother.

Andres
05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
The last i can remember is Ancic at the French a few weeks ago. I don't remember who the opponent was. just a simple shoving match. For the most part, tennis players are lovers, not fighters.
Capdeville, yeah, I remember ;)

35ft6
05-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Dirtiest thread topic ever.

Leelord337
05-09-2008, 11:51 AM
the closest thing i saw to hitting in a tennis match is when Carlos Moya got ****ed off at Guillermo Coria and served on purpose at 130+mph to hit Coria who was returning his serve. he hit it toward the back gate in other words trying to take him out.

Moose Malloy
05-09-2008, 11:55 AM
the closest thing i saw to hitting in a tennis match is when Carlos Moya got ****ed off at Guillermo Coria and served on purpose at 130+mph to hit Coria who was returning his serve.

Really? Moya doesn't seem like the type..

That sounds like when Chela played Hewitt at the AO in '05 & tried to hit him with the serve(he also spit at Hewitt on the changeovers)

slice bh compliment
05-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Yannick Noah and Amos Mansdorf came as close as you can get on national TV at the US Open in the late 80's (I want to say 86 or 89...probably wrong on both guesses). Mansdorf said some unkind words to Noah's wife, Noah looked right down at Mansdorf and told him, on camera "If you ever talk to my wife like that again..."....I think you get the idea.

Noah- 6'1", Mansdorf was maybe 5'8", if that. Mansdorf was former Israeli military, I think.

I remember that, too. Only Noah is 6'4''! Maybe more now that he's become a yogi.

AndrewD
05-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Yes, Brit Roger Taylor, a former amateur boxer, once knocked out Bob Hewitt at Berlin. Injured his left hand with the blow. Bad thing for an Aussie, to get beaten up by a Brit. Maybe the reason, why Hewitt left Australia for South Africa (just kidding).

Clark Graebner and Illie Nastase was another one and I know there's an unreported one where Lew Hoad had to be pulled off Pancho Gonzalez (you could substitute Tony Trabert for Hoad in the same scenario).

Warriorroger
05-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Jana Notvotna and Zina Garrison almost got into a fight in the 80s

GS
05-09-2008, 02:16 PM
If my memory is correct, that Gilbert/Wheaton match included a few verbal jabs at each other, then when they shook hands at the end, they wouldn't let go, started pulling each other's arms and began jawing again, until the umpire either gave them warnings or fined them. Then I believe Gilbert said, "I'll see you in the locker room!", and Wheaton made a detour and headed straight for the parking lot. If I ever see Gilbert in his store in nearby San Rafael here, I'll ask him for details (since he loves to talk). I got's to know!

35ft6
05-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Didn't Tarango get punched or throw one?

cghipp
05-09-2008, 03:41 PM
No, his crazy wife slapped the umpire!

orangettecoleman
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm surprised Rochus hasn't started fights with bigger guys, you know how the napoleon complex can be. hehe jk i love the little guy.

Benhur
05-09-2008, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=Moose Malloy;2319728]Agassi did catch a serve while playing a DC match in Argentina(he was blowing the guy away & decided to give him a game)

Outside of the crowd booing, nothing happened, no slapping, no jawing, etc.

Its funny how stories get embellished over the
years.

I remember that one, but in my memory I had it that Agassi, down 40-0 or 40-15 in that particular game, felt the other guy had aced him, but the serve was called out. So on the next point he just caught the ball off the serve to give him the point (and the game). I do remember the chair umpire being a bit annoyed by this and telling him: "You don't catch the ball, you hitthe ball!

Tempest344
05-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Fish and Mathieu in Madrid last year (it was either that one or Paris)

ruski07
05-09-2008, 07:22 PM
iv heard a couple cases in the locker rooms, like coria and guardio apparently threw a couple at each other...im surprised there hasnt been more fights, there r sum absolute c@ck he@ds on tour

HoVa
05-09-2008, 07:38 PM
in our high school matches, we came to blows all the time.

so much that we had to forfeit matches.

ah, the good ol' days!

RealityPolice
05-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Karel Novacek punched Derrick Rostagno in the chest instead of a post-match handshake at RG in the early 90s. (Novacek was considered a serious contender that year, and lost to an American who never cared for clay.) Wasn't a huge punch or anything. Mary Carillo made a comment about "this Novacek's always been kind of a big jerk."

orangettecoleman
05-09-2008, 08:28 PM
actually i can't believe nobody ever clocked Connors. I sure would have a few times over, i'm sure.

dangit
05-09-2008, 08:42 PM
I remember one time Venus Williams and Irina Spirlea bumped into each other:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDjia1FlA7A

wow this was 11 years ago. how time flies

Tshooter
05-09-2008, 08:45 PM
1979 USO (on the old court 17). Brian Teacher and Nick Saviano came as close as anyone.

flyer
05-09-2008, 09:43 PM
iv heard a couple cases in the locker rooms, like coria and guardio apparently threw a couple at each other...im surprised there hasnt been more fights, there r sum absolute c@ck he@ds on tour

thats not all that hard to beleive, i'd be surprised if these two didn't throw down at some point

ojingoh
05-09-2008, 10:45 PM
actually i can't believe nobody ever clocked Connors. I sure would have a few times over, i'm sure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=03QbomVpdlk

ruski07
05-09-2008, 10:54 PM
thats not all that hard to beleive, i'd be surprised if these two didn't throw down at some point

yea i believe it was in the locker rooms after the french open final, coria was being a smart arse n gaudio had enough n threw one and it was on from there

slice bh compliment
05-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Hans Jorgan Pohmann and Ilie Nastase, 1975 Forest Hills.

Pretty bad on court. They say Pohmann was about to take Ilie's head off in the lockerroom after the match. Ilie walked off. Probably his most mature moment ever.

sacha_v
05-09-2008, 11:22 PM
hey warrioroger you should change your sig afterall :)

Magix
05-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Going by what some of you guys have said, Coria must've been the biggest pr!ck on the tour. :lol:

And regarding his Davis Cup match against Hewitt, I think the read somewhere that he wanted to, "Kill the Australian."

coloskier
05-10-2008, 08:00 AM

Everyone in Israel, male and female, is former military. It is required by law to serve at least 2 years.

James
05-10-2008, 08:27 AM
I"m sure plenty of pro players have exchanged hard and repeated blows.

Ocean Drive
05-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Capdeville and Ancic had to be split up one year, they were physically hussling each other, Capdeville threw a punch I think.

Ocean Drive
05-10-2008, 08:43 AM

Yannick Noah is 6'4''...

orangettecoleman
05-10-2008, 10:38 PM
The Coria-Gaudio incident happened at some match before the French Open. Coria was being a dick and was taunting Gaudio on the court and Gaudio slammed him up against the locker afterwards. I guess ultimately beating him in the French Open final was the ultimate middle finger, wasn't it?

msc886
05-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I think Coria is quite good at stirring things up although it never came to a physical fight.

Swissv2
05-11-2008, 12:04 AM
In a way, I am glad that there are no major or regular fights in tennis for the most part. Playing hockey where fights are common and cheap shots while the ref isn't looking; it refreshing to play a sport where class is displayed on a more regular basis.

Miami Tiburon
11-15-2009, 05:06 AM
In the Tennis channel when tney run their top 5 promo you always see a Tennis player running crazy on the court whaling his racquet around.Does anyone know when this happened ?
It is pretty funny he looks like the player is chasing another player off the court.

Datacipher
11-15-2009, 05:11 AM
I preface this be saying that I heard this story many years ago and I don't know if it's accurate. I had heard/read that once pretty early in Agassi's career, either he was playing I believe, a South American or playing there, maybe both. Anyway, Andre had caught one of the guys serves instead of returning it in addition to getting pretty mouthy with him and the guy at some point slapped him. AGAIN, I may have the details of this wrong. If someone knows the story and would like to clarify or correct anything that I've stated, go ahead.

You did. He was playing in Davis cup and he did catch a ball, insulting everyone...even his own teammates were not too impressed, but there was no slap. Not unless, it was behind the scenes and never got into the press...

Datacipher
11-15-2009, 05:13 AM
Yannick Noah is 6'4''...

Noah is 6'4 and it was close to blows with Mansdorf. But Gilbert and Wheaton probably were about as close as well. Scott Davis also wanted to fight John Mcenroe in the locker room once after a doubles match. Of course, he wasn't the first one to feel that way about Mac!

Datacipher
11-15-2009, 05:18 AM
If my memory is correct, that Gilbert/Wheaton match included a few verbal jabs at each other, then when they shook hands at the end, they wouldn't let go, started pulling each other's arms and began jawing again, until the umpire either gave them warnings or fined them. Then I believe Gilbert said, "I'll see you in the locker room!", and Wheaton made a detour and headed straight for the parking lot. If I ever see Gilbert in his store in nearby San Rafael here, I'll ask him for details (since he loves to talk). I got's to know!

They did have an encouter at the grand slam cup. Gilbert claimed it was actually wheaton's brother physically threatening him from the stands! It did get very very heated and appeared very close to blows at the net. In addition to the other ones I mentioned, Cash went at LEndl in the locker room and had to be held back, Venus W and Spirlea shoulder bumped (but there was no impending fight), Mcenroe almost got beaten up by a very large man he mouthed off who was in the stands....there have been lots of almost fights...

jamesblakefan#1
11-15-2009, 05:38 AM
This is the Capdeville/Ancic situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbEzF3y6bUk&feature=player_embedded

tennisfa
11-15-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYUtb4GUHE&feature=related

ninman
11-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Didn't somebody spit at Hewitt once during a changeover? Also I'm so surprised nobody got angry with Nadal. Federer got seriously cross because of Tony constantly talking to Nadal during the match in Rome 2006, but nobody's ever shouted something like "stop picking your *** and hurry up". Also Soderling did mimick him on court, which was quite funny.

wangs78
11-16-2009, 01:59 PM
There's no physical contact in tennis so actual physical confrontations are very very unlikely. In football, hockey, basketball, etc., it is usually a late hit, heavy fouling or something that causes ppl to go nuts. In baseball, it really only happens when pitchers intentionally hit someone with a pitch. Neither can happen in tennis. The only, and very unlikely scenario I can imagine is if both players are at net, player A gets an easy put away shot and player B kneels are does something of that sort to get out of the way and player A purposely pegs him super hard intentionally. Even then, given that a tennis ball just doesn't hurt (unless you get hit right in the face), it's hard to see a player getting upset enough to start a fight.

jones101
11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
I remember one time Venus Williams and Irina Spirlea bumped into each other:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDjia1FlA7A

wow this was 11 years ago. how time flies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfhcxNir7eg

Marty502
11-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Didn't somebody spit at Hewitt once during a changeover?

Chela did that.
I remember a tennis show they do @ the Latin Fox Sports where they recalled the incident.

Chela said he was sick of the "jamones" (Come on) and that he wanted to kill him. :twisted:

jamesblakefan#1
11-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Lisicki/Wozniacki from Wimby this yr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr-Pz94IJ3s

OliverSimon
11-16-2009, 03:17 PM

The music in that vid is awesome!:):)

rocket
11-16-2009, 03:36 PM

They look like twins at 0:30.

slice bh compliment
11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Irina Spirlea and Venus Williams, US Open, '97? or was it '98?
Now that was a bump.
Well, just a small bump and a press conference or two...and a comment from Richard Williams.

Nowhere near blows.

Serendipitous
11-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Rafa deals blows to his butt.

Mikael
11-16-2009, 06:24 PM
In the Tennis channel when tney run their top 5 promo you always see a Tennis player running crazy on the court whaling his racquet around.Does anyone know when this happened ?
It is pretty funny he looks like the player is chasing another player off the court.

I haven't seen that clip but from your description it sounds like Thomas Muster joking around with Tim Henman at the USO I think, sometime in 1998 or 1999 when Muster was starting to take it easy.

beernutz
11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Got medieval on his ass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMcLtuz1vls

The head first sprawl over the net is pretty funny.

roysid
11-17-2009, 03:04 AM
I heard that Connors and Mcenroe nearly came to blows

Miami Tiburon
12-28-2009, 10:47 AM
I haven't seen that clip but from your description it sounds like Thomas Muster joking around with Tim Henman at the USO I think, sometime in 1998 or 1999 when Muster was starting to take it easy.

Might be that,I mean they play it every single time they do the top 5 countdown show.It looks funny Iam sure more people have seen it on these boards

joshburger
12-28-2009, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAPwx3z950

Mansewerz
12-28-2009, 11:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQ6Ai2sRJo

Was this a joke? Any details?

TheMusicLover
12-28-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQ6Ai2sRJo

Was this a joke? Any details?

Pretty sure that was a joke, yes. You can see it from Muster's smiling and the crowd laughing.