PDA

View Full Version : NXG or POG?

tsongaali
05-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Which should I get? I either want an NXG midsize or a POG midplus. They are both at good prices and have nearly the same specs. Which would youi recommend

Ryoma Kun
05-09-2008, 05:32 PM
i would use my hang before i hit with the nxg, it's THE WORST racquet I have ever used.

POG all the way

dak95_00
05-09-2008, 05:47 PM
I have them both and I prefer the POG. It is a little stiffer and more solid for serves and volleys. If you are looking for more control though, the NXG is very much a control racquet where the POG produces more power and a larger sweetspot. The POG doesn't produce as much spin on groundstrokes as the NXG either. So spin is a plus for the NXG and power for the POG.

Disclaimer:
I just got the NXG last year and I am going to tinker w/ the strings more to see if I like it better. The ones that I bought were new demos that came pre-strung w/ who knows what and who knows how long they've been in there. It just feels hollow to me compared to my POG which is a 1984 model that I've played w/ for 20 years so comfort could also be an issue.

NXG: POG:
No or few grommetts Grommetts
16x20 string pattern 14x18 string pattern
They are both good racquets. You should definitely demo each if you could to see what you like.

themitchmann
05-09-2008, 06:07 PM
I thought the NXG felt a bit too metallic at contact. I like the feel of the older graphite sticks.

RestockingTues
05-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Is the Graphite Classic listed on TW the POG? Or is it just a replica wannabe? :P

KFwinds
05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
I have them both and I prefer the POG. It is a little stiffer and more solid for serves and volleys. If you are looking for more control though, the NXG is very much a control racquet where the POG produces more power and a larger sweetspot. The POG doesn't produce as much spin on groundstrokes as the NXG either. So spin is a plus for the NXG and power for the POG.

Disclaimer:
I just got the NXG last year and I am going to tinker w/ the strings more to see if I like it better. The ones that I bought were new demos that came pre-strung w/ who knows what and who knows how long they've been in there. It just feels hollow to me compared to my POG which is a 1984 model that I've played w/ for 20 years so comfort could also be an issue.

They are both good racquets. You should definitely demo each if you could to see what you like.

You must be talking about the NXG MIDPLUS; the Midsize version has an 18x20 string pattern and certainly does not produce the same type of spin that the POG mid does.

baek57
05-09-2008, 09:12 PM
i personally liked the nxg better because its not as stiff.

Ross K
05-09-2008, 09:24 PM
i would use my hang before i hit with the nxg, it's THE WORST racquet I have ever used.

POG all the way

I've never understood the heaps of criticism this frame (actually both the M and MP) receives around these parts... there are surely so many other worthier candidates?!:wink: Certainly I've played with the MP a few times and thought it was a very decent racquet. I've also seen others play very well with it indeed. Plus I've heard really good reviews of the Mid... hmmmm...:confused:

fuzz nation
05-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Which should I get? I either want an NXG midsize or a POG midplus. They are both at good prices and have nearly the same specs. Which would youi recommend

Do you actually "want" one of these or have you just decided to buy one or the other? If you haven't tried either one, it's pretty much impossible to know if either will fit you well. Give us the typical backround on your game, racquets you've used, etc. just to help. I've had a lot of fun with the NXG mid and midplus, but I can definately see why the mid would turn a lot of players off to it. The NXG plays very soft and also has pretty significant heft (usually around 13 oz. in stock form), so if you get lazy with it, you won't get much out of it. That POG has a reputation for being pretty crisp and delivering great punch around the net - haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like quite a different hitter than the NXG mid.

tsongaali
05-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I am going to demo both soon. I was just wondering if there was a general consensus as to if one was significantly better over the other, but I see that it all depends on the person.

fuzz nation
05-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Oh, cool... happy demoing. I've had my best luck with the NXG strung at 56-58 lbs. with either a syn gut or crisp multi in 17 gauge. The frame has enough weight to go through the ball really well, but if the strings are really tight, it can be pretty dead. Too loose and the control that you'd expect in a mid can get quite scarce. I know that demo strings can be mysterious, but hopefully you'll have something in yours that functions okay.

If you have a good outing with one or the other, let us in on the details.

dak95_00
05-11-2008, 05:29 PM
You must be talking about the NXG MIDPLUS; the Midsize version has an 18x20 string pattern and certainly does not produce the same type of spin that the POG mid does.

Oops!!! You are right! But, I do have the mid and not the midplus. I just haven't gotten around to tinkering w/ the strings and therefore I am playing the POG @ 63lbs w/ Prince ProBlend.

I'll have to try Fuzz nation's recommendation on the strings

furyballs
05-11-2008, 06:17 PM

Disclaimer:

For a solid feeling racquet, The POG is hard to beat.

raiden031
05-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I would go with the POG. I have both but no longer use either for competition, but if I had to choose one I'd feel more confident with the POG.

NLBwell
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Go with the Prince Graphite - Not the NXG. The TW version is the current POG, not a knockoff. Subtle differences between rackets made from the 80's through the present version, but is it the same racket.

stormholloway
05-11-2008, 09:06 PM
There's a new Graphite coming out soon. Give that a try before you commit.