PDA

View Full Version : Volkl tour 10 MP

blindsquirrel
05-09-2008, 07:02 PM
I use the Volkl Tour 10 MP and love its feel and flexibility. However, it is a little hefty . Any recommendations for racquets that still have the feel and flexibility but are a little easier to swing and offer a little more pop? Thanks

samster
05-09-2008, 07:05 PM
How heavy is it? Have you had the chance to weigh it?

blindsquirrel
05-09-2008, 07:09 PM
I think 11.8 oz.

samster
05-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Some people have trimmed the grommet to get the swing weight or weight down. If you don't want to do that, you can try a thinner gauge string or find a lower weight replacement grip to see if that would help.

samster
05-09-2008, 07:13 PM
I was just messing with this tonight. For example, for the same length, the Head Hydrosorb Replacement grip weighs 5 to 6 grams more than the Head Softac Replacement grip.

blindsquirrel
05-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Can you recommend some good strings i.e. brands as well as gauge? What are the advantages of higher gauge strings.

samster
05-09-2008, 07:37 PM
blindsquirrel, what string do you use right now in your T10 MP?

Higher gauge strings just mean that it is thinner. For example, 16 gauge is thinner than 15g. Thinner strings usually give more power and spin, at the sacrifice of durability.

I think T10 MP really worked well with natural gut or a good quality multifilament. If you are not a chronic string breaker, I would recommend trying a 17gauge or 18gauge multifilament (like Technifibre NRG2 or X1 Biphase). If you want to do natural gut, you might want to try the 17gauge or 18gauge Klip Legend, which has decent durability for a natural gut. Again, this is all assuming you are not a string breaker.

If you are a chronic string breaker who hits with heavy topspin, you might want to try a co-polyester string (Pro Line II, Signum Pro Polyplasma, WeissCannon), which most people agree are more comfortable than the traditional polys. You can go very thin with these strings and get decent lifespan due to the inherent more durable nature of polyester strings.

louis netman
05-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I use the Volkl Tour 10 MP and love its feel and flexibility. However, it is a little hefty . Any recommendations for racquets that still have the feel and flexibility but are a little easier to swing and offer a little more pop? Thanks

I suggest trimming the P-rap grommet strip. I have a pile of those frames all trimmed up and it's quite a difference.

BTW, removing mass decreases SW and decreasing SW means less power (from the frame). However, if your swing becomes more effective due to the change in SW, then your result may be more powerful shots.

ericsson
05-10-2008, 11:41 PM
I suggest trimming the P-rap grommet strip. I have a pile of those frames all trimmed up and it's quite a difference.

BTW, removing mass decreases SW and decreasing SW means less power (from the frame). However, if your swing becomes more effective due to the change in SW, then your result may be more powerful shots.

Right on Louis, last week i compared a new one with a trimmed one, i couldn't hit a ball down the line, that much difference, after a while it was better but i like my trimmed ones way more, more racket speed means faster balls too, but most of all, the racket is very easy to play now compared as the stock one is a little sluggish, also my netgame improved a lot, i played the stock one for a year then trimmed them, i play T10 from when they were out till now...

0d1n
05-11-2008, 03:32 AM
I have a few and use them "trimmed" like ericsson. Although the mass difference isn't big between the "stock" ones and the "trimmed" ones (I think...never weighed the plastic bits I cut off) the maneuverability difference is quite amazing.

meh
05-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I have a few and use them "trimmed" like ericsson. Although the mass difference isn't big between the "stock" ones and the "trimmed" ones (I think...never weighed the plastic bits I cut off) the maneuverability difference is quite amazing.
Word...the few grams make such a difference. The lighter T10MP still plays great.