PDA

View Full Version : Any Love for the Slaz X-1? Comments?

ladude1957
05-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Hello All,

Had the chance to hit with this frame in the last few weeks and was impressed by just how solid this frame was. Maybe a bit too demanding for my game and a bit on the stiff side for my taste. Seemed stiffer than than the 64 TW reported. The Braided Graphite feel was sweet... sort of a Wilson 6.1 Classic Lite. Great control and power when needed. I was also thinking that spin production was less than I was expecting from the specs. Any comments would be great. Thanks!

Specs from TW Racket Finder

Slazenger Pro X1
Head size: 95 sq. in. / 613 sq. cm.
Balance: 8pts Head Light
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Swingweight: 316
Weight: 12oz / 340g
Stiffness: 64 (0-100)
Power Level: Low
Construction: 20 mm Straight Beam
Swing Speed: Fast
String Pattern: 16 Mains / 18 Crosses
Composition: Braided Graphite & Kevlar

tennis_guy
05-10-2008, 04:38 AM
Fantastic frame.. the last great frame from slazenger. I wish I had never sold mine. Lots of power especially on serve and excellent spin production. Love the solid kevlar feel. The only thing i'd change would be to make it less muted.

louis netman
05-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Fantastic frame.. the last great frame from slazenger. I wish I had never sold mine. Lots of power especially on serve and excellent spin production. Love the solid kevlar feel. The only thing i'd change would be to make it less muted.

My sentiments exactly. However, I have one brand new one (complete with neato black cat insert) still hanging on my rack :-)

TonyB
05-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Same here. I should have held onto at least one of my old X1 frames, but I sold them all.

Great frame, you can really do some damage with it for S&V. But I just needed something a bit more forgiving and with more feel around the net.

TenniseaWilliams
05-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Great doubles racquet, definitely leather grip with overgrip, weighted up.

At one point I was so infatuated, I even used the stencil. A lot.

kabob
05-10-2008, 06:22 PM
You mean the Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 Classic that Slazenger repainted and sold as the X-1? :p

TenniseaWilliams
05-10-2008, 06:34 PM
You mean the Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 Classic that Slazenger repainted and sold as the X-1? :p

I guess you have never seen them both at the same time. What about those 3 and 9 oclock lumps on the Wilson? I guess blue paint is slimming. The 6.1 Classic is a nice frame though...

North
05-11-2008, 07:09 AM
I love the Slaz X1 and still play with it. It doesn't feel as stiff to me as its specs would indicate and I find I get great spin with it. I like to S&V and come to the net a lot - I settled on the X1 after trying a few other racquets and haven't found another that works as well for me.

The racquet also feels lighter than 12oz - I guess that is because of the very manageable swingweight. Very maneuverable at the net.

Richard Pur
05-12-2008, 08:58 AM
After on and off demoing for 3-4 years, I finally "settled" on the Pro X1 as my racquet. And I say settled because no matter what you demo, hardly anyone ever finds a racquet better than the one they are looking to replace. I settled back in 1990 for Ultra FPK and played with it for 18 years.

The Pro X1 plays stiffer than the spec. Its sweetspot to me seems smaller. These two things combined caused me to use a softer string at a lower tension (low 50's). As a result I have a lot more power than I am used to (more free points), but a little less control. A friend of mine used the description of the racquet as a "combination of the PS 6.0 95 and Classic 6.1". The playing characteristics of the Pro X1 fall right inbetween these two classic racquets. A great racquet for a better player. It doesn't have the same dwell time as some of the more flexible classic racquets, so you have to be spot on.

A fun racquet to play with that puts out what you put in. Good luck.

Rich

ladude1957
05-13-2008, 04:02 AM
After on and off demoing for 3-4 years, I finally "settled" on the Pro X1 as my racquet. And I say settled because no matter what you demo, hardly anyone ever finds a racquet better than the one they are looking to replace. I settled back in 1990 for Ultra FPK and played with it for 18 years.

The Pro X1 plays stiffer than the spec. Its sweetspot to me seems smaller. These two things combined caused me to use a softer string at a lower tension (low 50's). As a result I have a lot more power than I am used to (more free points), but a little less control. A friend of mine used the description of the racquet as a "combination of the PS 6.0 95 and Classic 6.1". The playing characteristics of the Pro X1 fall right inbetween these two classic racquets. A great racquet for a better player. It doesn't have the same dwell time as some of the more flexible classic racquets, so you have to be spot on.

A fun racquet to play with that puts out what you put in. Good luck.

Rich

Rich,

You really did a great job summing up this frame. Right on!

05-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Longtime X1 enthusiast here - IMO it swings lighter but plays heavier than its specs would suggest, and if you are really on your game this racquet has an intangible 'lethal' quality about it. No other stick I've owned or tried feels so perfect in the hand or swinging thru the air as the X1. It truly feels like an extension of the arm+hand. Its pop comes from its stiffness and the SystemX does produce a rather muted feel, but IMO this racquet has always felt best with a crisp mono instead of a multi or poly hybrid. Not the best choice for a western-grip baseliner but if you play dubs, like to mix it up + attack and play all-court tennis, this is a great choice. Not too forgiving, and it eats strings, but highly rewarding if you have the game. It's like a PS .1 'lite' but is easier on the arm.
Also, sort of a cross between the TF320 and TF335 16x20's.

bluetrain4
05-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Hello All,

Had the chance to hit with this frame in the last few weeks and was impressed by just how solid this frame was. Maybe a bit too demanding for my game and a bit on the stiff side for my taste. Seemed stiffer than than the 64 TW reported. The Braided Graphite feel was sweet... sort of a Wilson 6.1 Classic Lite. Great control and power when needed. I was also thinking that spin production was less than I was expecting from the specs. Any comments would be great. Thanks!

Specs from TW Racket Finder

Slazenger Pro X1
Head size: 95 sq. in. / 613 sq. cm.
Balance: 8pts Head Light
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Swingweight: 316
Weight: 12oz / 340g
Stiffness: 64 (0-100)
Power Level: Low
Construction: 20 mm Straight Beam
Swing Speed: Fast
String Pattern: 16 Mains / 18 Crosses
Composition: Braided Graphite & Kevlar

Never played with a Slazanger. Those specs are nearly perfect (would love it in an 18 x 20).

kike_valerin
05-13-2008, 08:52 AM
i love that frame i have 2 slazenger pro x1 and 2 slazenger pro trinity

past year have 5 slazenger pro braided black and white

the best slazenger i ever play IMO :D

TenniseaWilliams
05-13-2008, 09:07 AM
... IMO this racquet has always felt best with a crisp mono instead of a multi or poly hybrid.

I like one of the softer copoly's in the mains, a full poly job can get brutal, even with all of the dampening. Certainly doesn't make it any more forgiving, but does seem to make it more lethal, and the extra string durability is almost required with this frame...

I gotta try one of those TF335.

05-13-2008, 10:56 AM
I've actually got a set of RAB ENDURA (from TW) in my X1 right now @ 59 mains, 57 crosses and really liking it. But my fave strings ever in the X1 were the discontinued Babolat Powergy, and good ol' Gosen Micro

ryohazuki222
05-14-2008, 01:19 PM
good ol' Gosen Micro

Same here :). So far the top three string combos on my x1's are 1) gosen micro 17 at 55lb. 2) SPPP 1.18 at 55lb. 3) nat gut mains with spp crosses... forget the tension.

Considering price/playability/durability... the gosen wins out. I really like the SPPP, but it lasts not very long before the tension goes haywire. The gut/sppp combo was incredibly unique. It had so much power... seriously like hitting with a trampoline... it took some adjusting but once i got used to it, it was incredibly fun to play with.

hoosierbr
05-14-2008, 03:56 PM
I have one strung w/Iso Speed Pro classic in the mid 50's. Great all court weapon.

Fedace
05-14-2008, 03:59 PM
I always thought that the control on this racket was never that great compared to Wilson prostaff

HeadPrestige
05-14-2008, 04:04 PM
wow... that seems like it has great specs... would love to hit with it for fun

louis netman
05-14-2008, 10:35 PM
if you are really on your game this racquet has an intangible 'lethal' quality about it.

Experienced that quality a few summers ago. Something really cooks when you're on with that frame....but when you're not, forget about it...

El Guapo
05-15-2008, 05:25 AM
You should have tried the original Pro Braided. Just like the X1 except much better feel.

Great for S&V and also the single greatest frame that I've ever tried for returning.

goakka
05-15-2008, 06:24 AM
I've been a Slazenger man for about the last 15 years. I have had the x1 but I didn't like it as much as the pro braided, still my favorite racquet of all time.
I currently have the new Type NX one because my pro braided's have seen better days. I like this racquet a lot its feels a little bit more flexible than the pro braided even though the specs say Ra 64

louis netman
05-15-2008, 08:41 AM
I've been a Slazenger man for about the last 15 years. I have had the x1 but I didn't like it as much as the pro braided, still my favorite racquet of all time.
I currently have the new Type NX one because my pro braided's have seen better days. I like this racquet a lot its feels a little bit more flexible than the pro braided even though the specs say Ra 64

I believe the NX One is a clone of the 300g as Dunlop owns Slaz...

TenniseaWilliams
05-15-2008, 11:05 AM

Off-topic, but I believe that there are 3 versions of the NX One. The version that I have has almost nothing in common with my beloved X-1's. I had a few of the Pro Braided, and they were very very nice. But I like the X-1's better.

05-16-2008, 06:48 AM
I had a 305g NX ONE (320g strung) and played nothing like the X1. It is a 300g paint job - sold it almost immediately

Europe has a 320g unstrung NX ONE though

goakka
05-16-2008, 05:14 PM

I like the nx1

I know that slazenger is owned by dounlop, so finding it hard to find a shop that sold slazengers here in OZ. I bought a dunlop 200g and hated it. being a flat hitter I just found the 18x20 pattern not for me, but I liked the weight and balance. so if i bought the 300g i might have been happy. but i think the 300g is lighter