PDA

View Full Version : Going for a new Prince Racquet...

Ruecian.G
05-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Hey everyone. I've always been a Wilson player, but I've been feeling the need for a new racquet. The newer K factor racquets are pretty expensive, and so are the Prostaff 6.0 95's now, so...

I was looking at both the Prince Tour NXT Mid (92 sq. in.) and the Prince Tour Diablo Mid (93 sq. in.). Could anyone please post up your experiences with either frame? I'm a 4.0 player with a SW forehand, and hit a 1HBH if that helps any. Thanks!

themitchmann
05-10-2008, 02:56 AM
I found that the NXG felt very metallic at contact, while the Diablo felt very dead. If I had to choose...probably the NXG.

fuzz nation
05-10-2008, 07:25 AM
I've had a great experience with the NXG mid over the last few years and despite its smaller headsize and extra heft, it's been surprisingly easy for me to play well with. Definately a softer racquet and the entire stringbed feels like a sweetspot for me. Despite the dense string pattern, it produces more spin for me when I want it than almost any frame I've ever sampled. Headlight and easy to handle given its weight - the Diablo mid felt quite cumbersome by comparison - I'm also comfortable with this frame at net for singles and doubles.

I string mine with a crisp 17 gauge multifiber at around 58 lbs. with fantastic results. If you do a search, there have been several discussions about this racquet lately in here, but in any case, I highly recommend that you at least sample this frame. Given its pricetag at TW these days, you can even consider buying it to try it.

[d]ragon
05-10-2008, 11:18 AM
what is ur current racquet?

Ruecian.G
05-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Right now I'm using a Wilson nCode nPS 95. I'm looking for a heavier racquet with a similar or smaller headsize, lowish power, and good control. So basically a good midsize racquet.

noobplayer
05-10-2008, 02:27 PM
smaller than 95? why? whats wrong with the nps?

Ruecian.G
05-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Well I would like a racquet that's either roughly the same, or smaller. I don't really want to go for anything over 100 sq. in.

There's nothing wrong with the racquet, and I even like them a lot, but I just feel like it's time for something new already. I've used them through high school and my first year of college, and both of the sticks have taken a beating.

But anyway, I'm reading mixed responses about both, so I just want peoples opinions on both the Diablo and NXG.

kabob
05-10-2008, 06:23 PM
I found that the NXG felt very metallic at contact, while the Diablo felt very dead. If I had to choose...probably the NXG.

I felt the same way about the two of them although if I had to choose... I'd choose NEITHER.

Nellie
05-10-2008, 06:58 PM
I like the Diablo, but it has a really small sweet spot and feels light and very dampened, compared to the nTour 95. But - its the round grip will really drive you nuts!

If you are looking to save money, try out the Dunlop 200g in the liquidation racquets

BkK_b0y14
05-10-2008, 10:08 PM
one word: POG

dabudabuda
05-11-2008, 05:53 AM
I've used the diablo mid for 2-3 yrs and the nxg mid for about 3-4 months when looking for a flexier frame due to injuries. Here's a summary of my opinions.

The sweetspot on the diablo I felt plays bigger than a typical mid and is also more solid & extends higher in the stringbed. My best serving racket up to date, can really hit all the spins and flat. Can play pretty much any type of game with this racket(baseliner, allcourt, s&v). One of the rare mids w/ a high stiffness and more pop than the typical midsizes made at the time(seems like they are making mids stiffers these days for the modern game). If you are looking to transition from a midplus12+oz to a mid12+oz this is one of the easier rackets to transition to.

Nxg mid-bought one because overhitting caused a wrist injury and I could not handle the stiffness of the diablo w/ the injury. I feel is more suited to the all court player. Really need a very crisp string(and 16L or thinner gauge) to bring out its potential. Slices are smooth and stay low, and more feel (if you are alright w/ the muted feel from the suspension system) and better pinpoint accuracy than the diablo but less power, diablo still has great accuracy. Sweetspot is more towards the middle. Can still hit all the shots w/ this racket but it will take better technique and transfer of weight is much more important w/ this than the diablo. Personally though, I felt this racket forced me to play w/ better technique thus improving efficiency overall.

If you want more in depth on any particular shots(groundies, volleys, slice, top, flat) I can give you my opinion.