PDA

View Full Version : Back from shoulder problems,what do I do?

coachb
01-12-2005, 05:27 PM
I am currently back to playing from rotator cuff problems, tendonitis. I dont believe that I have heard too many players comment on coming back and what kind of racket to use. Do you stay with a heavier stick or go with a tweener. I was using a rok (93) before the injury, I also have the option of using a tour 10 mid. Thanks for any input, yes I am doing all of the stretches and weights for the shoulder.

rich s
01-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I had orthroscopic shoulder surgery back in '96 to clean up some things in my right shoulder.

I came back using my same 12oz Head PT280. I just took it slow and only pushed it as far as what felt comfortable -- in 3 months I was playing like I was before surgery.

01-12-2005, 07:46 PM
your racquet seems shoulder safe enough. Like rich s said take it easy(no hard serves or overheads untill you build back up the strength. The only way i have ever got over tendinitis is to build it up (muscles) about double to what they were before the injury.

backcourt
01-13-2005, 11:56 AM
The Yonex mp 3i has been great for my coming off my shoulder impingement diagnosis. I tried to switch to the Diablo MP but began experiencing pain again after 6 or so hitting sessions.

jayserinos99
01-13-2005, 12:56 PM
volkls are fairly shoulder safe; the t10 mid should be a good one.

finchy
01-13-2005, 01:11 PM
i got shoulder tendonitis with a surge so i switched to a PS 6.0 95.

during the recovery process, i did not play at all for 2 weeks straight. it helped alot now. do not try to do anything too strenuous, or you will reinjure it again. i had to take prescription motrin in order to stop the inflamation. anyways, start out slow, and build your strokes back gradually and in a week, you should be fine.

Ed Lee
01-13-2005, 01:18 PM
I had similar problems as you......could no longer play with the Wilson PS 85, then switched to the 1999 version of the PK 5G and modified it to weigh 360 grams (>12.5oz) and used a relatively soft string (NRG-17). My shoulder held up just fine.

Hope this helps.

Ed