PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone play with wooden rackets?

tennis_guy
05-10-2008, 06:00 AM
I'm thinking of getting a few woodies to do my playing with.. I think it could be fun. I'll still have something more modern in my bag just in case ;)

Anyone else play with wooden rackets these days?

Supernatural_Serve
05-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Not since the early 80s.

But we have occasional tournaments in the states that require one to use wood.

chess9
05-10-2008, 10:56 AM
I frequently hit against the backboard with my Jack Kramer woodie. Occasionally, I will warm up with it as well. I have mine leaded up to about 16 oz. The original nylon factory string is in mine as well. :) The flex on that thing must be around 50. :)

-Robert

tsmcauliffe
05-10-2008, 11:05 AM
I hit around with a wood racket everyone once and a while and I still kick my teams ***' with it. It's just fun to play with occasionally.

Lendl and Federer Fan
05-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I still practice serving with the Spalding Pancho Gonzales wood racquet. It weights over 14 oz with the overgrip.

anirut
05-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Just make sure it doesn't pop or your stuck :( anyways why should we play with those? I'm young and this is a newer better generation.

Ever heard the saying: "Old is gold." ???

chess9
05-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Well, I can serve 90 mph with my 16 oz woodie, so I don't think the racquet is that big a part of the equation. Admittedly, the newer racquets are better, and the newer strings are a whole lot better. Even the gut string technology is better with the new coatings.

But, hitting the woodie is fun.

-Robert

[d]ragon
05-10-2008, 12:12 PM
i used to have one that i would take out for fun (until i broke it :()

swimntennis
05-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I read this thread about 5 minutes before I went out to hit with a friend so I brought along two wooden racquets for us. He didn't want to use it but I did. It made me play a different way and I'll probably take it out again. But wow; using my "new" racquet after that was so strange. It felt like I was using a Big Bubba.

treblings
05-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Sometimes I play with a Prince Woodie, Head Vilas or Pro Kennex Golden Ace.
I own about 30 Dunlop maxplys, some saved from flea markets, others in mint condition or photo decals(like the Lew Hoad model). Also hit with a Snauwaert Gerulaitis a few months back, and thats a lovely racket.
I grew up playing with woodies and still love the way these rackets play.

But i disagree with people in this forum who believe that playing with wooden rackets once in a while can actually benefit their game. In my opinion the weight and flexibility is too different to modern frames, itīs a different game with a different technique.

Mick
05-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I would use them about once a month against lower level opponents. For this reason, I have not lost a match (this year) when playing with a wood racquet :)

Last year, I did lose a match with it because I had under-estimated the skill level of my opponent.

pmerk34
05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I would use them about once a month against lower level opponents. For this reason, I have not lost a match (this year) when playing with a wood racquet :)

Last year, I did lose a match with it because I had under-estimated the skill level of my opponent.

I 've never seen anyone with any skill play with a wooden racquet in about 20years. The only people I have seen at the courts playing with a wooden frame are people who clearly are just started playing or some kids clowning around with one becuase they found it in the garage probably.

J011yroger
08-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Today's Victims.

http://i33.tinypic.com/20isw9k.jpg

J

wyutani
08-16-2008, 07:56 PM
where do you buy a wooden racquet. I think none exist in hong kong. sad.

hoodjem
08-16-2008, 07:57 PM
JR,
You should wrap the OG a little higher, so you can get all three hands on it.

Il Mostro
08-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Just re-strung a super clean Jack Kramer Autograph and it hits great. Very distinctive sound that I think drives my opponents nuts. I just received a minty, minty, minty Head Vilas but have not hit with it yet. The leather "pads" under the strings are brittle and half-missing. I will use the racquet in the manner it was intended for once I get it sorted out. I love mixing it up with woodies -- you have to hit clean and it is a very honest test of one's game. I have heard that there are tournaments just for wood racquets :-)

J011yroger
08-16-2008, 08:03 PM
JR,
You should wrap the OG a little higher, so you can get all three hands on it.

Lol I wrap them all the way up to the throat on my normal racquets too.

J

J011yroger
08-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Just re-strung a super clean Jack Kramer Autograph and it hits great. Very distinctive sound that I think drives my opponents nuts. I just received a minty, minty, minty Head Vilas but have not hit with it yet. The leather "pads" under the strings are brittle and half-missing. I will use the racquet in the manner it was intended for once I get it sorted out. I love mixing it up with woodies -- you have to hit clean and it is a very honest test of one's game. I have heard that there are tournaments just for wood racquets :-)

I am on the lookout for Kramers (being a wilson guy and all)

J

Il Mostro
08-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I am on the lookout for Kramers (being a wilson guy and all)

J

That's a sweet Pancho you have JR. Arghhhhhhh!

J011yroger
08-16-2008, 08:18 PM
LOL, I got the pair of them for $20 today, and saved more than $20 worth of strings by hitting with them instead of my normal frames.

J

J011yroger
08-16-2008, 08:19 PM
So basically, by using J-Rog demented thinking and convoluted reasoning they were free.

J

Il Mostro
08-16-2008, 08:26 PM
So basically, by using J-Rog demented thinking and convoluted reasoning they were free.

J

Nice logic, man. I buy into it 100%.

Tombhoneb
08-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Played once with a wooden racket ( my dads pride and joy ) going for a down the line winner and it wasnt just the ball that went over the net, the racket head decided it wanted to follow !! oops !!

Racquet Man
08-17-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm thinking of getting a few woodies to do my playing with.. I think it could be fun. I'll still have something more modern in my bag just in case ;)

Anyone else play with wooden rackets these days?

Many of us posters of a certain vintage grew up with these woodies (and I see from the posts some of you young ones are only now being introduced to your own woodies...just kidding:)). Someone at my club had an old Jack Kramer that he brought for a laugh which I hit with for about 10 minutes. The feel was nice and brought back memories, but the game has evolved so much (the baseline power game, topspin)that these classics are now ineffective weapons. The woodie may be fine for volleying a bit, but other then that hang them on your wall as antiques.

babolatisduhbomb
08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
i hit every lil bit with woodies

superstition
08-27-2008, 04:08 PM
I do. Unfortunately my Wilson Advantage became warped in my trunk.

Cup8489
08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
yeah, strung up my chemold rod laver today and went for a hit..

more traditional strokes, couldnt use the western grip much unless i really flattened it out.. but man, the accuracy was unbelievable. and half volleys were sick. the flex just makes it feel like part of my arm :)