PDA

View Full Version : Bought racquet, no grip

fsasvs
05-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I bought a racquet on the big auction site, and strangely it arrived with no grip on it. As I was about to change the over grip I noticed that the previous owner simply put on 3 over grips as the grip. Is this a common thing, or should I throw a real grip on it?

Bottle Rocket
05-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Do whatever you want to get the desired feel, size, and cushion.

I have gotten a few used rackets off this board that had two overgrips instead of a "real" grip. I don't even think the guys I was buying the racket from knew. Some people only use a few overgrips because they like the sharply defined bevels. Some people don't want to buy a grip or know how to put one on.

Either way, you can do whatever you want to do...

I like a new grip... Gamma Hi-Tech grips to be specific.

Mike Danger
05-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I much prefer 1 or 2 over grips ONLY much more feel much more defined, and smaller

MaOira
05-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I like a leather grip with yonex supergrab overgrip myself.

geesechops
05-10-2008, 06:28 PM
I went from synthetic to leather because of the nice feel of the bevels. Then tried out just 2 overgrips because it seemed like I was using too big of a grip and wanted to experiment with a size smaller. I didn't plan on playing with it permanently, but it felt better than a smaller grip with the leather. The feel is like nothing else I've tried and instead of going down a grip size I just use 2 overgrips. Although, you have to cut a little piece and wrap it backwards around the butt cup to mimic the shape of the butt with a usual undergrip. If your hands can handle it I think it's the way to go, except if you use a western grip and hold the racquet real tight. My brother uses the same racquet with synthetic and a tourna grip and still rips his hands up (and the tourna) becuase of his crazy Nadal-like forehands.

autumn_leaf
05-10-2008, 06:29 PM
i just tried putting on 2 overgrips and it doesn't bother me much. if you put on 3 you get more cushy soft feeling which i like =). and yes the bevels are more defined, like sharp defined... really a matter of preference.