PDA

View Full Version : Adding more weight to the racquet for playing outside?

JavierLW
05-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Does anyone here actually add more weight to their racquet just for the purposes of playing outside?

I play indoors for much of the year and it's finally starting to get nice enough outside that I can play outdoors.

On a couple windy days I had to use one of my racquets which happens have 4 grams of extra weight around 6 o'clock on it, and I felt like it was easier to get the extra power that I needed to counter the air movement.

Even on serves it seemed like if I hit the ball smoothly, it was easier to make the ball heavier.

Is there any logic to this, or am I just noticing the usual short term difference?

neverstopplaying
05-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Living in the north, I'm also just starting to play outside. I did a post last spring with a question regarding different tensions. Most agree that you should/could reduce tension about 2 lbs for outdoor play.

I wouldn't play with lead for this purpose as it will change the swing weight and maybe the balance, depending on how you do this. This can affect all your strokes and will take time to adjust, every 6 months.

Reducing the tension takes little/no adjustment and does the job.

obnoxious2
05-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I don't see wind as that big of a factor. You'll probably just throw your timing off by adding lead tape for outdoors and using non indoors. Dropping the tension will give you more power and less control but it doesn't help you with the wind.

Just stick to your setup indoors and out and you should be fine. The wind isn't a problem

Roberto
05-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Good question Javier. I've been thinking this too. I'm going to try to add 8-10 grams to my KBlade 98 for the "out-season" and I planned to add the weight in a way that keeps the balance of the racquet the same. On a slow surface like clay I have more time to prepare for the shot and I believe that it might be easier to get heavier consistent shot with some extra weight. I'll let you know how it goes.

PackardDell
05-11-2008, 03:18 AM
interesting. In my country indoor tennis is played on carpet and hardcourt there outdoor is played on clay. Do not yet know how to deal with this.