PDA

View Full Version : Is there some kind of logic to this?

[K]Topspin
05-11-2008, 08:50 AM
I've found out that mid sized frames give a lot more spin than midplus or oversize frames. I was wondering why.

Shouldnt there be more spin on the bigger frames because theres more space for the ball to roll off of and then give you that spin?

drakulie
05-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Topspin;2324355']I've found out that mid sized frames give a lot more spin than midplus or oversize frames. I was wondering why.

It could be due to you being able to generate more racquet head speed with smaller frame.

Topspin;2324355'] Shouldnt there be more spin on the bigger frames because theres more space for the ball to roll off of and then give you that spin?

No.

fuzz nation
05-11-2008, 11:59 AM
It could depend on the specific mids that you've tried. If they weren't very stiff and powerful, they may have been more inclined to put more spin than velocity on the ball for your stroke - lots of mids are rather flexible.

One of the biggest spin monsters for me is the Prince NXG mp (100" head), but the NXG mid also makes a ton of rpm's. The Donnay Pro One mp has an old school midsize vibe to it despite its 95" head, pretty much because of its feel and flex. One of our pals here who tried it said that it made too much spin for him and I can believe it - that's nearly the case for me with that racquet.

Topspin Kid364
05-12-2008, 05:13 PM
It could be due to you being able to generate more racquet head speed with smaller frame.
That is very true, the racket I'm using right now (the Babolat Aeropro) has an aero dynamic shaped head and throat for increased spin.
Topspin;2324355']Shouldnt there be more spin on the bigger frames because theres more space for the ball to roll off of and then give you that spin?
Not quite, the bigger the headsize, the bigger the power, simple. Swinging the larger head size rackets means you're putting more mass into each hit, making the ball go faster and more powerfully. The bigger headsize rackets have a bigger "trampoline affect" to the ball-for example, you will always jump higher on a bigger trampoline than a small one-as for the spin, you will usually swing slower with a 110" racket than a 95" racket meaning it will be easier to spin with a small headsize racket because of the increased speed.

anirut
05-12-2008, 05:49 PM
.... Swinging the larger head size rackets means you're putting more mass into each hit, ...

NO. Size is just size. It has hothing to do with mass.

EricW
05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
NO. Size is just size. It has hothing to do with mass.

In fact, OS frames are often lighter than their Midsize or Midplus models