PDA

View Full Version : A Weighty Issue

ktowntennis
01-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Here's my dilema, I have been using the LM Radical MP for over a year now and for the most part I have really enjoyed it. A couple of days ago I picked up a 6.1 Classic and decided to hit with it just for kicks. What I found was that I enjoyed the fact that the 6.1 felt more solid and stable, which is obviously attributed to it's weight. Off the ground and even with the serve I feel more in control with the 6.1 than with the LM Radical. However, at the net it's a different ballgame. I'm simply sluggish and my volleys are terrible. So what I'm thinking is a middle ground between the LM and the 6.1 in terms of the weight. The LM weighs in at 11.2 strung while the 6.1 weighs in at a hefty 12.6, which is obviously a big difference. I like the head light feel of the 6.1 so I'd definitely like to have that in the LM. Does anyone know how I could SPECIFICALLY go about weighting the LM where it has a feel similar to the 6.1 without quite as much weight? In other words how much lead tape and where, SPECIFICALLY.

Steve H.
01-12-2005, 09:53 PM
There's a 34 gram difference between the two frames, which would mean 68 inches of lead tape (!) But you can get some of what you want -- try adding several inches at 3 and 9 o'clock on the head (this will imitate the Wilson PWS weighting) and then counterbalance with some weight in the handle, maybe 10 grams or so (20 inches)? The least invasive way would be to take the grip off, wind the tape around the bare handle, and re-install the grip. I'm not sure if the LM Rad will allow you to put fishing weights inside the handle -- if so, that might be easier. Hope this helps.