PDA

View Full Version : nSix-One 95(16/18) or nSix-One 95(18/20)?

RogerFan
01-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Which are differences between these two racquets?
Did anyone demo these two frames?
I'm baseline player, should I chose spin over control?

SocalTennis
01-12-2005, 08:30 PM
16/18 will give you more spin potential and 18/20 will give more control. This is from the text.

tarkowski
01-12-2005, 09:16 PM
I am a 4.5 all-court player and have used both racquets extensively. I orginally went with the 16x18 and found it to be excellent from the baseline - serve, forehand, and my one-handed backhand felt great. It has good control and lots of power for a player's racquet. However, I couldn't quite perfect my slice and I had to modify my net-game just a touch. Overall the racquet was a little more lively than I wanted - and spin came at all times, whether I wanted it or not. I felt that the stringbed is too lively for a 95 headsize and a racquet of this weight - at least for me. I think the TW review to be dead-on.

I took a chance and got the 18x20 based only on the TW racquet description and hypothesizing about what it would do for my game. Thankfully, it's just what I was needing and I feel this is a MUCH better match to my game. There is less pop across the board; the raquet swings a touch heavier; but the control, especially at net, is much improved. Consistency of shot is much improved and even though the racquet is like a brick outhouse, it is still plenty fast at net and has great feel. I do come to net quite a bit and absolutely love the performance of this racquet here.

Even from the baseline, however, the 18x20 is easier to control. It has massive weight and can hit a very heavy ball. You need to consciously generate spin - but I think this is a good thing. Here again, I am much more confident in hitting hard than with the 16x18, especially down-the-line. If you have a semi-western forehand, you will absolutely love the 18x20.

Make no mistake - both racquets are quite powerful for the 'player' category. Compared to something like a Prince Tour Diablo MidPlus, the 18x20 feels like a solid canon. However, the 18x20 lessens the pop just enough to make me feel more confident when hitting hard. I just love it and am purchasing a 2nd. I believe that if you can wield a 12+oz racquet in the first place, having the denser string pattern with the nCode's thicker frame is the perfect balance. I would reccommend the 18x20 over the 16x18 to both all-courters and baselines.

sarpmas
01-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Hi tarkowski, have you used Prostaff Classic 6.1 before? How does it compare to these two nSix-One 95? I'm thinking of switching to a racket that has similar feel as PSC 6.1 but slightly lighter. Thanks.

Power Game
01-13-2005, 06:25 AM
How, often do you break strings? You will break them much faster in the 16x18 pattern, just something to consider... I'd choose spin over control, get the 16x18

tarkowski
01-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Hi sarpmas,

The one big difference between the newer nCodes and the older 6.1 is the 'feel'. Swingweight and static weight of all 3 racquest are very similar. I don't think you will get anything in the way of quickness with going with the nCode. The 16x18 does swing a little faster than the 18x20. All are head light so it's easy to 'pop' them up at net, leveraging the weight of the handle to bring up the head.

The older 6.1 transmits more of a 'raw' feel to your arm on ball contact. Some would say you get more information with it - but I think it to be a little stiff. I don't mind it, but I like the nCode a LOT more. I find the nCode is a a tad 'muted', but you still feel what's going on with the ball. Both of the six-one versions feel more solid than the older 6.1 - and the 18x20 exceptionally so. Some people like this, some don't. The feeling is NOT as muted as it is on the newer Head LM series, but it goes in that direction.

RogerFan
01-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the answers
I think I'll go for the 16x18 as long as the lost of control is not too much.

How, often do you break strings? You will break them much faster in the 16x18 pattern, just something to consider... I'd choose spin over control, get the 16x18

Almost never. For the las couple of years I've been using BigBanger, but lately I'm trying to use Hybrid string like Roger (VS Touch 16 Mains @63 and BB AluPower Rough Crosses @58 ) but it feels horrible; is like the ball stay too much on the string. Should I use higher tension?

Does anyone use Hybrid string like Roger?

finchy
01-13-2005, 10:09 AM
with that hybrid, you should get the softness and feel from gut, yet control with BB.
what exactly is wrong with it? i've only heard praise from that hybrid.

btw, just because you have roger's specs doesnt mean you will play like him. :P

man-walking
01-13-2005, 12:58 PM
is like the ball stay too much on the string. Should I use higher tension?
If so usually this is not horrible, you have elastic feeling but not the catapult back-effect. Can you explain better?

RogerFan
01-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks again, and sorry for my english.

That's the word man-walking, I have elastic feeling, that I never had before with synthetic and poly strings. It feels softer and everything, but I have no control at all over the ball, and almost no spin when I try to hit hard shots.
I alway played with 63 tension, getting good control over the ball, but with VS Touch on the mains @63 is like playing with synthetic gut @45.

I just wonder how Roger get so much control, power and spin with this hybrid.
I think that he uses a higher tension like @70 or more.

finchy of course, I only play like him, after I fall sleep. :D

finchy
01-13-2005, 02:22 PM
lol roger uses his hybrid between 55/65.

pete sampras swung his at 75 lbs tho. gut too.

sarpmas
01-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Thanks tarkowski! Really appreciate your advise. I think I will demo these 2 sticks and decide from there. :)