PDA

View Full Version : Pure Drive Roddick + (FINALLY HERE!)

therich29
05-12-2008, 06:15 AM
my racket finally arrived! i've waited over a month for it as apparently there was a big mix up at the Babolat factory but its finally here and i've never played with such a perfect racket for my game! i'm getting Pro Hurricane Tour (16g) and Excel Premium (16g) strings on it tomorrow so ill try and post some pics!

anyway if anyone is after this racket, i would say if your a strong bassliner who can put a lot of topspin on their strokes, uses a powerful first serve and likes to keep their opponent on the run then this is the racket for you. you gotta love this racket! not too impressed (barely noticed if im honest) by the cortex but overall its a very solid racket which is nearly impossible to miss-hit with its generous sweet spot and solid frame. and serving with it gives you the best feeling ever! your serve speed will increase with this racket no doubt! the only real negative is that its a bit of a lug around the net but it was never meant to be racket for that use. it is quite a versatile racket though, i suppose if your strong and quick enough for net play you could get away with it, but for clean forehands, backhands, drop shots, passing shots and lobs, this racket excels.

well anyone elses views very welcome and ill try and answer any questions i can.

cheers guys

Rich

Topspin Kid364
05-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Sweet, I have tried out this racket many times before and there is nothing bad to say about it! Good job of racket choice and strings! Although the Pro Hurricane Tour strings may be stiff at first, you'll get used it. The strings pack awesome spin if you already haven't noticed. The only thing bad about the excel strings is that they started to shed a little after I played with it for awhile, but it didn't seem to impact the power of the ball or anything else I could find. If you are looking for a spare racket, try the Babolat Aeropro w/ Pro Hurricane Tour, it has huge spin and power that is good for baselining, serving, and volleying :)

meowmix
05-12-2008, 04:34 PM
No offense to you, but don't you find it a bit TOO powerful? I can't possibly imagine myself playing with it... man those balls would be flying out...

Have you tried full poly in that at 70 lbs yet? I really want to see what happens:)

hoodjem
05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I've always been a Wilson person . . . going back to the 70s.

But I know lots of people that love Bab racquets. Heck, maybe I should try one. I could certainly use more power (and more control).

therich29
05-14-2008, 10:08 AM
cheers!

aw man you cant believe how nice it is to play with! i dont find it too powerful i find it just right i really do, i guess its right for me but i can understand how people might find it too powerful.

here is a quick pic of my baby!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/TheRich29/IMAGE_221.jpg

Cup8489
05-14-2008, 10:13 AM
whoa there. its a decent racquet...but i think you may need to customize it how YOU want it, not like Roddick. at least you dont have a rubber band there :)

therich29
05-14-2008, 10:20 AM
tbh the only thing roddick about it is the stick and the mains, i've used tournagrip on my first 20 quid henman racket, then on my pure drive with the vibrakill, and then i upgraded to the newer heavier and longer stick. if thats how you feel then each to their own :)

Rich

Cup8489
05-14-2008, 10:39 AM
tbh the only thing roddick about it is the stick and the mains, i've used tournagrip on my first 20 quid henman racket, then on my pure drive with the vibrakill, and then i upgraded to the newer heavier and longer stick. if thats how you feel then each to their own :)

Rich

sorry if i offended you, it was not my intention. i just noticedthat you asked what kind of lead tape roddick uses, and since the pht, xcel setup is supposed to mimick the more expensive setup roddick uses, it appeared that you were trying to emulate his stick. which is cool to try, but most people woulnt be very effective with it.

therich29
05-14-2008, 10:45 AM
none taken, i didnt even know that about the excel strings, it was advice in my local sports shop from the tennis guy who works there. i know people do get a bit rowdy about people copying the pros n stuff but it honestly is not my intention. i used roddick as an example as i had heard he uses quite a lot, maybe i was asking for it really lol! cheers

Rich

pr0n8r
05-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Congratulations! I'm always stoked when I get a new racket.

therich29
05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Congratulations! I'm always stoked when I get a new racket.

thanks man, whats your newest racket?

pr0n8r
05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
thanks man, whats your newest racket?
Just switched to the MG Prestige Mid, but I haven't been able to hit with it yet. Hopefully tomorrow, if work doesn't get crazy.

gonzo2000
05-14-2008, 04:41 PM
That is a sweet racket. I have one myself and it's one of the best sticks that I have bought and tried. Great power without sacrificing an iota of control. Serves are a monster. It is not for everyone, but if you have the game to match it, you'll have lots of fun and success with it. Cheers.

therich29
05-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Just switched to the MG Prestige Mid, but I haven't been able to hit with it yet. Hopefully tomorrow, if work doesn't get crazy.

ah thats awesome man i really hope it works out for you! good luck!

therich29
05-14-2008, 05:10 PM
That is a sweet racket. I have one myself and it's one of the best sticks that I have bought and tried. Great power without sacrificing an iota of control. Serves are a monster. It is not for everyone, but if you have the game to match it, you'll have lots of fun and success with it. Cheers.

yeah i totally agree, a lot of people think that you have near to no control with it but i find it fine. i also agree that it is not for everyone, especially fast runners or net players but as you say if you got the game to match it, it can be a god send!

thanks for ur response!

all the best

Rich

therich29
05-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Sweet, I have tried out this racket many times before and there is nothing bad to say about it! Good job of racket choice and strings! Although the Pro Hurricane Tour strings may be stiff at first, you'll get used it. The strings pack awesome spin if you already haven't noticed. The only thing bad about the excel strings is that they started to shed a little after I played with it for awhile, but it didn't seem to impact the power of the ball or anything else I could find. If you are looking for a spare racket, try the Babolat Aeropro w/ Pro Hurricane Tour, it has huge spin and power that is good for baselining, serving, and volleying :)

funnily enough i was looking at the aeropro! but i loved my old pure drive and needed the extra length and weight for my game, but i am still considering the aero for a 2nd stick! thanks tho man! i didnt find them too stiff but i know they need to settle in to reach their full potential.

thanks man!

take care

Rich