PDA

View Full Version : My Perfect Racquet is a Cheap Bit of Trash

Enlightened Coelacanth
05-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Well, not really. But it is cheap, and discontinued, and a knock off by Wilson made exclusively, as far as I can tell, for a discount sports chain here in the great West. I have ten now. Wish I had more.
It's a Wilson Pro Staff Titanium 6.6 oversize. I bought one for my son and then took it over when his high school season ended.
I put long (about four inches) strips of lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock and then another strip inside the throat (so about ten or eleven inches of lead tape altogether). I estimate the overall frame weight to be around 11 1/2 ounces
but I really don't want to know because it plays fine as is.

I've never switched out the stock string ( Wilson synthetic gut @ about 60 lbs, I guesstimate) and I have a great serve and volley racquet for a senior 4.5 doubles player. I play with and against some twenty-something 5.0's and it handles their pace nicely. I hit flat mostly, and love volleys and overheads.
Why would I need anything else? I went to the nationals years ago with a 4.0 squad from Nor Cal undefeated (personally) and I know I'm better now than then.
My crappy unglamorous racquet hasn't hurt me in the least.

Anyway I reject the mid sized, $200.00 per frame, poly stinged orthodoxy that
dominates these boards. Come out of your closets, cheap knock off users.
Set yourself free.

martin
05-12-2008, 07:30 AM
The difference between expensive rackets and cheap rackets can be minor. It's more a mental thing.

Pleepers
05-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Well, not really. But it is cheap, and discontinued, and a knock off by Wilson made exclusively, as far as I can tell, for a discount sports chain here in the great West. I have ten now. Wish I had more.
It's a Wilson Pro Staff Titanium 6.6 oversize. I bought one for my son and then took it over when his high school season ended.
I put long (about four inches) strips of lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock and then another strip inside the throat (so about ten or eleven inches of lead tape altogether). I estimate the overall frame weight to be around 11 1/2 ounces

I've never switched out the stock string ( Wilson synthetic gut @ about 60 lbs, I guesstimate) and I have a great serve and volley racquet for a senior 4.5 doubles player. I play with and against some twenty-something 5.0's and it handles their pace nicely. I hit flat mostly, and love volleys and overheads.
Why would I need anything else? I went to the nationals years ago with a 4.0 squad from Nor Cal undefeated (personally) and I know I'm better now than then.

Set yourself free.

You closet "el cheapos" kill me :) No reason to be ashamed of what you like or what works well for you. To each his own.

Enlightened Coelacanth
05-12-2008, 07:38 AM
It's all marketing. I should know, as a sucker who has poured a small fortune into getting the latest thing every single time, only to find I play about the same with everything.

That's why it feels righteous to unburden myself and proclaim my love for my cheap unglamorous piece of trash.

tzinc
05-12-2008, 07:39 AM
How much did it cost?

Enlightened Coelacanth
05-12-2008, 07:41 AM
You closet "el cheapos" kill me :) No reason to be ashamed of what you like or what works well for you. To each his own.Yes, that's the killer. There shouldn't be any shame connected to my non player's stick. But I admit to giving in to peer pressure and marketing hype.

I only hope to lead other lambs that have gone astray onto the righteous path;)

Enlightened Coelacanth
05-12-2008, 07:43 AM
How much did it cost?As I recall when the chain would put them on "sale" from time to time they were about $59.99.
I could get three for the price of one mainstream frame that wasn't one bit superior.

martin
05-12-2008, 07:46 AM
How long did Jimmy Connors play with that crappy wilson t2000 thing when graphite rackets were already introduced like the pro staff and the prince graphite.

Loco4Tennis
05-12-2008, 07:57 AM

Set yourself free.

glad you found your racquet, now lets see a pciture of your collection :-)
you said you had 10 or so, picture!!, picture!!...
i am also interested in the lead tape you mentioned, could we see a picture of this as well
as for dropping $200 for frames, im with on on this as well, mine cost arround $30 each, just got third one for that much from "the bay" good source to get discontinued frames, took me a while to get a second and third since mine have been out of stoc for about 15+ years
to find out the real weight of your frames, and have them all be about the same since you have so many, you might wanna pick up a letter scale from wall--mart, cost about $15

Enlightened Coelacanth
05-12-2008, 08:02 AM
glad you found your racquet, now lets see a pciture of your collection :-)
you said you had 10 or so, picture!!, picture!!..i am also interested in the lead tape you mentioned, could we see a picture of this as well.I've got to get hold of my son's digital camera. I'll be proud to post them (and you never know when someone has one in their garage they want to get rid off).

as for dropping $200 for frames, im with on on this as well, mine cost arround $30 each, just got third one for that much from "the bay" good source to get discontinued frames, took me a while to get a second and third since mine have been out of stoc for about 15+ years
to find out the real weight of your frames, and have them all be about the same since you have so many, you might wanna pick up a letter scale from wall--mart, cost about $15I've been meaning to pick up a scale for some time now. Digital ones are nice. Or do what I have been doing when curious about racquet weight...go into a UPS store and tell the clerk you want to weigh the frames for shipping purposes. It works every time ;) though it's a bit inconvenient.

Loco4Tennis
05-12-2008, 08:50 AM
lol,
i tought about hitting the local post office for some rubber bands to use as rubber band dampeners, they normally use #64's, guess im not the only one trying to get freebe service everywhere, anywhere :-)
as for the lettter scales, i picked one up, i weighed strings, racquets, grips, grommets, works good

mdjenders
05-12-2008, 10:05 AM
That is not that bad of a racquet, esp after leading it up like you did. I used that one for a few years and had three of them. I seem to remember they cost 99.99 but less on sale like you said. Stock it is about 10 oz and close to even balance.

Enlightened Coelacanth
05-12-2008, 10:46 AM
That is not that bad of a racquet, esp after leading it up like you did. I used that one for a few years and had three of them. I seem to remember they cost 99.99 but less on sale like you said. Stock it is about 10 oz and close to even balance.I took one in for restringing this morning (Babolat Hurricane 16 crosses @ 57lbs, Wilson Reaction 16 mains @60 lbs.) and weighed it up.
It came in at just under 11.50 ounces, as expected. That was without overgrip though and without the lead in the throat area. I also expect to replace the original grip with a Babolat leather grip.
That should move the total weight up closer to 11.75, or so I imagine. I have no idea what the balance is. It is head light though.