PDA

View Full Version : TWU - question on racquet power

sureshs
05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
There are two kinds of racquet maps in TWU - power potential and shot speeds. The former increases towards the throat, while the latter increases towards the tip, and the optimal hitting area is where the best compromise is achieved.

Obvious question then is: why is a combined metric not shown as a map? It will be useful for two reasons:

1. To compare the overall power map between two racquets
2. To find the "sweetzone" for a particular racquet and see if it matches the hitting habits

Is it because the two measurements are "apples" and "oranges" and so cannot be sensibly combined into a single metric?

TW Professor
05-12-2008, 01:38 PM
There are two kinds of racquet maps in TWU - power potential and shot speeds. The former increases towards the throat, while the latter increases towards the tip, and the optimal hitting area is where the best compromise is achieved.

Obvious question then is: why is a combined metric not shown as a map? It will be useful for two reasons:

1. To compare the overall power map between two racquets
2. To find the "sweetzone" for a particular racquet and see if it matches the hitting habits

Is it because the two measurements are "apples" and "oranges" and so cannot be sensibly combined into a single metric?

The Power Potential Map shows the power of the racquet. The Shot Speed Map shows how the racquet speed at the hitting location combines with the power potential at the hitting location to produce a shot speed.

The reason we don't combine them is that the best (most powerful location) moves up and down the racquet depending the relative speed of the ball and racquet at impact. The greater the ratio of racquet speed to ball speed, the higher on the racquet will be the hitting spot to produce the most speed. The lower the racquet-to-ball speed ratio, the lower on the racquet will be the max shot speed location. Just how high or low the max shot speed location will climb or descend on a particular racquet depends how much the power changes from location compared to how much the speed changes.

For example: Avery M3 Control:
ball speed 75, racquet tip speed 15: max shot speed is in throat.
ball speed 50, racquet tip speed 50: max shot speed is just below the middle.
ball speed 0, racquet tip speed 135 max shot speed is in middle.

Pure Drive is a little different:
ball speed 75, racquet tip speed 15: max shot speed is in throat.
ball speed 50, racquet tip speed 50: max shot speed is just below the middle.
ball speed 0, racquet tip speed 135l max shot speed is almost at tip.

This page should help also:
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/PPandspeed.html

sureshs
05-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Do pros really adjust their hitting spot depending on the ratio of ball speed and racquet speed?

jace112
05-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Do pros really adjust their hitting spot depending on the ratio of ball speed and racquet speed?
I guess you don't need to be a pro to adjust your hitting spot. When you are late and you know that you won't be able to take a full swing, just try to hit near the throat! That can make some good defensive shots, with decent shot speed and length. :)

Bottle Rocket
05-13-2008, 01:01 PM
When you are late and you know that you won't be able to take a full swing, just try to hit near the throat! That can make some good defensive shots, with decent shot speed and length. :)

My gel-filled dampener thinks otherwise... :rolleyes:

TW Professor,

Can you possibly describe or point me to a link that describes the process you guys used to get all your data?

sureshs
05-14-2008, 06:23 AM
I guess you don't need to be a pro to adjust your hitting spot. When you are late and you know that you won't be able to take a full swing, just try to hit near the throat! That can make some good defensive shots, with decent shot speed and length. :)

My gel-filled dampener thinks otherwise... :rolleyes:

TW Professor,

Can you possibly describe or point me to a link that describes the process you guys used to get all your data?

Yeah I was about to say ... If you are late, do you have enough coordination to place the ball in a precise region of the racquet? Maybe it is possible. And there is the dampener issue and the racquet head being narrower at the throat.

Which brings me to a revolutionary idea: bring the Yonex isometric shape to the throat region.

You heard it from me first.

TW Professor
05-14-2008, 08:37 AM
TW Professor,

Go to the following link for explanation of test procedure:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/test_method.html

jace112
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Go to the following link for explanation of test procedure:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/test_method.html

Thanks! Can you please add a picture of your stationary, free standing racquet in your lab?

I know how the ACOR can be determined (fixed racquet), but you make me wonder how it works when the frame is free (in order to analyze the swing/twist weights effects)