PDA

View Full Version : Fake Racquets

tiptopperoo
01-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Do people ever try to sell fake racquets? If so what do I need to be careful of? Thanx alot

!<-_->!
01-12-2005, 10:01 PM
What do you mean by fake racquets? Do you mean like bootleg racquets where one unknown company copies a major brand racquet? If so, then I own a couple of these types of frames. Wouldn't sell them though, since no one knows anything about them.

iloovetennis
01-12-2005, 10:06 PM
the paint might be off from the real one and the fake ones don't have the authentic logo thingy on em that most of the real ones seem to have.

AndrewD
01-12-2005, 10:17 PM
tiptopperoo, there used to be a store in Melbourne that would sell copies of the popular brand racquets but have different decals and name on them. They're pretty easy to spot though.

I think you might mean something like buying a racquet over in one of the Asian countries and getting a copy rather than the real thing? Can't give you much advice about that except to check to make sure that everything is where it's supposed to be (right number of crosses and mains etc).

tennisnoob
01-13-2005, 01:26 AM
There's plenty of "fake" Wilson racquets available in Indonesia, i've once spotted a PS 6.0 85 stretch in Jakarta!!!!!

Steve Huff
01-13-2005, 08:16 PM
There are plenty of "fakes" here in the US. Sometimes, when a company discontinues a racket, it will sell the rights to its name to someone. An example I know of personally is the Prince Rip. After Prince discontinued it, Dick's Sporting Goods began selling them cheap. A guy brought one to me to put a new bumper guard and grommet set in. I tried. It wouldn't fit. So, I called Prince. Eventually, I got to talk to one of the engineers there. He said when a large sporting goods company can order lots of them (several thousands of them), enough to justify a production run, then they can redesign the racket to their specs. Of course, to sell a racket with the Rip name, it has to look an awful lot like a real Rip. He said in this rackets case, the original Rip was 115 sq in. This reproduction was only 113 sq in. It was sold as a production run, and no bumper guards or grommet sets were made for replacement. This is a "fake" in my opinion--apparently, a legal one.