PDA

View Full Version : Creating A Demo List

swimntennis
05-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi all. I'm looking to put together a demo list to order from TW. If anyone has suggestions or personal experience with these racquets, please post some info! Also, if you need more info about anything, feel free to ask.

Style of Play:

- 15 Years Old
- I've never been rated but I'm competitive with a 3.5 adult male.
- SW Forehand
- 2HB, Continental-SW
- 60% of the time I'm at the baseline, 40% at net. I try to serve and volley at least once per game.

Current Racquet:

I'm using a Wilson [K] Four 105. I bought it last year when I started doing a tennis camp. It's been good but here's what I'm looking for in improvements:

- I'd like something less stiff.
- The [K] Four feels way too hollow... I don't like this at all.
- I'm looking for a slightly smaller head size.
- I also want to try out racquets that are more head-light.
- I definitely want more weight on the racquet. The [K] Four is too light for me at about 10 oz.

Demo List:

So far, these racquets look like they fit the specs I'm looking for:

Wilson K-Surge (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KSURGE.html)
Wilson N-Pro Open (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-NPO.html) (I also see the updated K-Pro Open (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KPO100.html), but I find it hard to believe that the extra $100 is worth it.)
Wilson KSix Two (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-K62M.html)
Yonex RQ iS 2 Tour (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCYONEX-RQIS2T.html)

I've solely used Wilson Racquets so far in my life (starting with those cheap $29.99 ones at sports stores). I'm hoping that switching to a different brand won't be that drastic of a change. Also, I notice that I've mostly limited my search to the Wilson line. Any info about other brands is appreciated also.

Thanks in advance!

m1stuhxsp4rk5
05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
yonex rds 002 non tour is a good racket

ryanq
05-12-2008, 04:10 PM
im biased.

PROTENNIS63
05-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Try the Boris Becker Pro. Heard it is a good racquet.

meowmix
05-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi all. I'm looking to put together a demo list to order from TW. If anyone has suggestions or personal experience with these racquets, please post some info! Also, if you need more info about anything, feel free to ask.

Style of Play:

- 15 Years Old
- I've never been rated but I'm competitive with a 3.5 adult male.
- SW Forehand
- 2HB, Continental-SW
- 60% of the time I'm at the baseline, 40% at net. I try to serve and volley at least once per game.

Current Racquet:

I'm using a Wilson [K] Four 105. I bought it last year when I started doing a tennis camp. It's been good but here's what I'm looking for in improvements:

- I'd like something less stiff.
- The [K] Four feels way too hollow... I don't like this at all.
- I'm looking for a slightly smaller head size.
- I also want to try out racquets that are more head-light.
- I definitely want more weight on the racquet. The [K] Four is too light for me at about 10 oz.

Demo List:

So far, these racquets look like they fit the specs I'm looking for:

Wilson K-Surge (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KSURGE.html)
Wilson N-Pro Open (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-NPO.html) (I also see the updated K-Pro Open (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KPO100.html), but I find it hard to believe that the extra $100 is worth it.)
Wilson KSix Two (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-K62M.html)
Yonex RQ iS 2 Tour (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCYONEX-RQIS2T.html)

I've solely used Wilson Racquets so far in my life (starting with those cheap $29.99 ones at sports stores). I'm hoping that switching to a different brand won't be that drastic of a change. Also, I notice that I've mostly limited my search to the Wilson line. Any info about other brands is appreciated also.

Thanks in advance!

About those above, I've noticed you've chosen the k6-2. The n6-2 is still in production, and it's not much different from the newer one (plus, it's a hundred cheaper).

To be truthful, I wouldn't recommend many of the above. The kSurge was a horrible racket (for me). It was too powerful, too light and groundstrokes were a bit on the shabby side. Volleys were alright, but drop volleys fell short. Accuracy was on the short side with this racket. The 6-2 line, I don't like very much. I like the original skunk (Hammer 6.2 OS) but that's for random personal reasons. I didn't really like the n coded one because it was just too insubstantial (and too LIGHT!!!). With a swingweight that low, there's not enough mass to get me anywhere. I hit some nice spin, but that's about it.

About the nProOpen, I also found it a bit too powerful. Not nearly as powerful as the ksurge, but powerful nethertheless. Some have compared it to the Babolat Pure Drive. Personally, I think the Babolat has more power, but the nproopen is similar.

Since you don't like that hollow feel (and who does), as well as something less stiff, the Liquidmetal Radical MP seems like a good bet. I've played with that, the iRadical MP, and the Flexpoint Radical MP, and I think it's the best version. Comfortable, powerful when necessary, fairly precise, very controllable, and nice spin. To me, it was STILL a bit light (11.2 ounces is light for me) so I would have prefered it served with some lead (no pun intended). However, it played very nicely in stock form, and if you feel a need to, you can lead it up to be a little heavier.

You may also want to consider the WILSON nTour. It's a nice racket (once again, on the light side) that combines nice power, comfort, and control. It's a good all around racket (nothing absolutely wonderful about it, but no downfalls either).

My final recommendation is the Dunlop M-fil 300. It's a great racket (once again, too light for my taste, but for you, it'll probably be fine): controllable, powerful enough, and a nice racket. However, some have found it to be "hollow". Personally, I don't think that's the case, but you may find it to be so.

You'll notice that my recommendations are all under 100 bucks. Personally, I can't understand people that make a concious effort to buy the latest line of racket when the previous line was just as good. All of the above rackets have a current successor, all of the above are just as good or better.

swimntennis
05-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Meowmix, thanks a lot for those tips. They were really concise and detailed. Now, I've hit with the [K] Surge before for about an hour (my friend has it). I actually really liked how to felt. However, I can see what you're saying about the power. Maybe I need something that I can grow into? I'm at the point where I feel like I'm improving every time I play. I'm not sure how long that'll keep up though. How would you compare the Surge to the racquets you recommended me?

cujays
05-12-2008, 05:36 PM
the n pro open is a great racket i would go with that
what about a SPblack or o3 white

meowmix
05-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Meowmix, thanks a lot for those tips. They were really concise and detailed. Now, I've hit with the [K] Surge before for about an hour (my friend has it). I actually really liked how to felt. However, I can see what you're saying about the power. Maybe I need something that I can grow into? I'm at the point where I feel like I'm improving every time I play. I'm not sure how long that'll keep up though. How would you compare the Surge to the racquets you recommended me?

The surge doesn't compare to any of them. It's far worse :)

On serve, it's similar to the LM Radical. I could get some nice pace on those. The LM Radical also generates a lot of spin for those spin serves and kickers, IMHO more so than the surge.

In terms of accessable power, I'd say the LM Radical has it. The LM Radical has a lot of CONTROLLABLE power (even without a ton of topspin). I got the feeling that I could really swing away and not really worrty about it sailing long. Not so with the kSurge. The nTour and M-fil 300 have a lot less power inherent in the racket. In my experience, the nTour had to least power out of all the above (due in part to the smaller head size).

Slices were great with the 300. I really liked to hit those ohbh slices especially, nice and low, plenty of drive. Didn't care so much for slices with the LM Radical, but that's partly due to my technique. The nTour is between those two. As for the ksurge, slices were a tad high, but very effective. If there was one stroke I liked with the surge, that was it.

Groundstrokes: ksurge of course has a lot more power, but it's similar to the nTour. Somehow, they just FELT the same (nice, fairly solid hit- with the nTour able to go for more of those angle/placement shots). Don't know the how's or why's, but that's the way it is.:)

On volley, the LM Radical was great. The kSurge had plenty of power, so volleys were very deep and effective. Drops were more of a problem. Not so with the radical. Volleys with all 3 of my recommendations had some nice punch, but I think the radical especially shined. I had no problem hitting drop volleys (or for that matter, drop shots) with any of my recommendations.

For overheads, I didn't have much experience with any of them (I don't play a net game very much, and my opponents usually pass me rather than lob me). The kSurge was very nice on overheads, and put aways were a cinch. The nTour was a little harder for me to hit those overheads, since somehow I felt I couldn't generate the needed headspeed or power. The LM Radical was fine, and the 300 was fine as well. Again, not much experience with these on overheads.

I think that sums up the shots. Anything else you need?

meowmix
05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Keep in mind that at the time, I was also trying a k6-1 95 16 by 18, Prince O3 Tour MP, and some other rackets. I eventually went with the Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP (since it weighed in the middle of the two racket categories, and had a swingweight that was more favorable to me- I like swingweights in the high 310's to mid 320's). I don't recommend this racket to you as it is no longer found on the market, and since it has a slightly hollow feel to it. Don't get me wrong, I love my ipex, but it is not recommended.

wilfreb
05-12-2008, 06:16 PM
try the yonex rds003 at 100 sq i think is perfect for you.

[d]ragon
05-12-2008, 06:20 PM
if ur not too much into topspin, try the lm rad. dont let the 18x20 pattern fool u, it generates good spin. a good racquet all around. light but still very stable

ohhgourami
05-12-2008, 06:27 PM
im biased too. get your hands on a heavy and demanding racquet.

swimntennis
05-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Well, thanks for all the help everyone. I'm going to compile a final list and post that soon.

fps
05-13-2008, 11:08 AM
try the yonex rds003 at 100 sq i think is perfect for you.

seconded. it's a little smaller, it's headlight, it's solid (you're never left thinking "why did THAT happen!?") and there's lots of controllable power. it's also heavier without pushing you into the 12oz plus category.

i use one and love it.

Topspin Kid364
05-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Try out the Babolat Aeropro Drive. It most likely isn't as stiff as yours and provides good control, spin, and power. It's also excellent for serving.