PDA

View Full Version : Please help. Most powerful midsize?

alexdedo81
05-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone.
A little bit of background. I currently play with a hyper prostaff 6.0 95 (boxed beam, red matte finish). I play a western forehand and a one handed backhand with the same grip. I was at national level until the age of 17, then had a knee surgery and stopped for about 6 years due to various other reasons. I'm now training again just for fun about 4 times a week.
My game is sort of stuck at the moment and I feel I can't generate the power I would like to with this raquet.
The other day I asked my friend to borrow his Prince original graphite 90 and it felt amazing. Whenever I hit the sweetspot I could feel a rocket coming out of the stringbed. I loved it but noticed it's quite difficult to find those old 4 stripes ones like he has and I heard that the new ones are quite different.
As I result of that experience I tried to add 8 grams of tape all around my frame from 9 to 3 to balance it 7 points h.l like the prince I tried and now the ball comes out much faster, even tho it's not quite the same feeling.
I also played a few weeks ago with a prestige classic mid strung with luxilon at 61/57 and I could feel real bombs coming out of the strings, despite a relatively slow movement. Immediately after, on the same session, I tried a ncode 90 ex-federer, exactly same string and same tension and couldnt put the ball over the net... it felt like hitting with a board. Again it's probably due to balance but I found it very weird. Anyone ever had the same feeling? I really loved the prestige if not because of the shape of the handle that threw me off a bit.
Anyway... to get to the point... I would like to switch to a more powerful raquet... but a mid, or midplus where the power derives from hitting the sweetspot, not to a pure drive just to be clear... 95 s.i. headsize already feels quite cumbersome to me and it's the maximum I would go for... I love the way midsize raquets cut thru the air.
Among the raquets currently produced, or discontinued but possible to find, what would you say it's the most powerful midsize?
Unfortunately I don't have any chance to demo here in Italy... I just hit with those raquets by chance.. so any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys
Happy tennis

TopJunior56
05-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Hmmm... thats a tricky one. Try out the new Head Prestiges I've hears they're pretty powerful, also I'd just try out any original graphites on the market that looks like your kind of stick. Oh! Babolat is coming out with a Limited edition stick, black and gold 93 head size 12.1 ounces I believe its a pretty good stick just a little heavy for my taste but it might be what your looking for. have you found anything else you liked?

ten15
05-12-2008, 05:07 PM
I've hit with the k90, MG prestige mid, and the kblade tour. Out of those three, the Kblade Tour had the most power, then the k90, then the MG prestige mid.

drakulie
05-12-2008, 05:28 PM
^^^ LOL, my experience was the complete opposite.

To the OP, the POG mid is a nice powerful frame. Good luck.

NLBwell
05-12-2008, 05:44 PM
The new POG is slightly different than the old ones - it is still basically the same racket. People on this board go way overboard on the difference. If you want more weight in the head, just put a little lead (or any other material) on - the more lead, the more power.
I also have weight under the grip that keeps the balance good.

sargeinaz
05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
DNX 10 maybe?
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

El Guapo
05-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Prince O3 MS

anirut
05-12-2008, 05:58 PM
PK Redondo mid, strung low. You'd be surprised.

matchmaker
05-12-2008, 06:01 PM
I would not call the Redondo mid a powerful frame. It is actually a very underpowered frame.
I hear the DNX 10 mid has quite a lot of power.

wilfreb
05-12-2008, 06:02 PM
RDS001
very powerfull

str33t
05-12-2008, 06:04 PM
RDS001
very powerfull

I'd disagree, but maybe it's just the strings I use.

wilfreb
05-12-2008, 06:12 PM
I'd disagree, but maybe it's just the strings I use.

you must use the string that is recommended for this racket at yonex's website.

Eric4
05-12-2008, 06:14 PM
RDS001
very powerfull

i dont find it to be powerful i now string it at 49lbs to get power on my shots with the rds001 mid

str33t
05-12-2008, 06:15 PM
you must use the string that is recommended for this racket at yonex's website.

Even when I had it strung with synthetic gut that had lost a lot of tension it wasn't all that powerful.

[d]ragon
05-12-2008, 06:21 PM
the k90 had lots of power if u can generate good RHS (racquet head speed)

0d1n
05-12-2008, 10:41 PM
In my experience the Volkl DNX 10 MID is a pretty powerful racket (in the control oriented "rackets department").
Don't expect Pure Drive type of power with slow strokes...but if you can swing it fast-ish it will deliver some bullets.

Doc Hollidae
05-12-2008, 10:53 PM
I'd agree on the DNX10 mid. There's something about that DNX material that gives the racket some extra pop. There's nothing spec wise to indicate that it has the pop that it does, but I was definitely surprised. Same goes for the MP.

VikingSamurai
05-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I did a racquet comparison on the TW Science section, and this is what it came up with..

I compared the 13 point power levels of the Babolat Aero Storm. I own 3. The Babolat Pure Storm Tour. I have 1. The Head Microgel mid (don't have any, but do have the mid+) and the K-90. (I used to have 3)

The K-90, came out on top as far as power and off centre shots, but lacked a little when hit in the middle of the string bed. But to be percentage wise more powerful than those other 3 was kinda surprising..

TW Professor
05-13-2008, 05:28 AM
Hi everyone.

Anyway... to get to the point... I would like to switch to a more powerful raquet... but a mid, or midplus where the power derives from hitting the sweetspot, not to a pure drive just to be clear... 95 s.i. headsize already feels quite cumbersome to me and it's the maximum I would go for... I love the way midsize raquets cut thru the air.
Among the raquets currently produced, or discontinued but possible to find, what would you say it's the most powerful midsize?

An easy way to compare power for different headsize racquets (or any other spec) is to go to the Specs and Power tool at TWU:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/specsandspeed.html

Choose headsize as the spec type. Choose impact location and ball and racquet speed. The list comes up sorted by power potential but it shows the headsizes next to each result. You can then scroll to choose headsizes.

HeadPrestige
05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
RDS001
very powerfull

... it is not very powerful.

f1 tech
05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
From TW University, it looks like the most powerful is the Prestige Mid and 2nd is DNX 10 Mid.

Bubba
05-13-2008, 09:44 AM
I was going to add... go the the TW university power finder tool thingie...

logansc
05-13-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm partial to my AG 100, TW will be selling them soon

Bubba
05-13-2008, 10:01 AM
I was going to add... go the the TW university power finder tool thingie...

BTW... according to the TW University power tool, the K90 is the most powerful in terms of % rebound. HOWEVER, what's important to realize is that this tool uses percentages as it's measure.

Percentages are misleading... would you rather have 80% of a million $, or 100% of a thousand $?

Therefore, TW should modify the tool to take into relative rebound velocity based on fixed impact speed and constant string tension... measuring both the rebound velocity as well as rebound distance traveled... this will give you a more relevant perspective.

No way a K90 out rebounds a PDR!

vtc
05-13-2008, 12:18 PM
The prince O3 tour ms is pretty powerful, especially on the serve. It does have a larger frame then most mid size frames at 95. The KBlade tour is also nice it is a little bit stiffer than the prince

kerxny
05-13-2008, 12:56 PM
The prince O3 tour ms is pretty powerful, especially on the serve. It does have a larger frame then most mid size frames at 95. The KBlade tour is also nice it is a little bit stiffer than the prince

Except 95 is a midplus, not a mid.

Bottle Rocket
05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
oops..........

El Guapo
05-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Except 95 is a midplus, not a mid.
Not according to Prince. Notice the MS - MidSize.

sargeinaz
05-13-2008, 03:05 PM

Well if Prince decided to call their 100 sq inch rackets midsize, would that make them a midsize?
________
Essential Vaaapp Vaporizer (http://essentialvaaappvaporizer.com)

El Guapo
05-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Well if Prince decided to call their 100 sq inch rackets midsize, would that make them a midsize?
They obviously wouldn't do that because they know the difference between midsize and midplus.

fortunecookiesjc
05-13-2008, 03:17 PM
found the k90 to be very powerful, Great racquet but it just wasnt right for me. Weight was really nothing, i prefer heavy racqeuts 12.5+ oz. Too demanding of a racquet for me so i use the 6.1 classics and my pro supex nano energy

Bubba
05-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Mid is 93 and below. 95 is mid plus.

jmverdugo
05-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Im with the people that thinks that, among the mids, the k90 has more power. to be honest i have only Tried the pc, the n90 and the k90. I did find the k90 to have more power than my rds001 mp. Maybe was the string setup though.

alexdedo81
05-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for your precious help!!

The Volk unfortunately won't do the job. I stopped playing with the prestige classic because the shape of the handle was causing me to swing in a different way and to mishit the ball on some occasion, so I think the Volk would make the situation worse.
I would also exclude Yonex that according to most of you guys is not really powerful.
Prince O3 tour 95 could be an option but I heard so bad about the feel of the O ports in the past that I'm not entirely sure
That leaves us with 3 raquets I guess: I will try to hit with the K90, Kblade tour and POG mid to see which one of them has the greatest power on groundies and serves and the best feel. Anyone who had the chance to hit with all of them and could compare in terms of pop and in terms of sweetspot size?

Thanks everyone for their contribution again... you guys have been great help.

bertrevert
05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey if you definitely manage to test all three please post your results - I'd be interested to hear your findings on the Kblade Tour

[K]Topspin
05-13-2008, 06:51 PM
I think maybe the Kblade Tour. I was quite surprised because it had a small headsize and dense pattern. I guess looks don't determine everything.

davey
05-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Here's what you need.

http://www.gizmag.com/the-bug-bat--high-tech-insect-terminator-tennis-racket/9306/

bertrevert
05-14-2008, 02:00 AM
^^^well you could zap a few opponents with that one but I must ask why you insist on playing insects? Pick on your own size... :)

Anyways, surely any MID can be changed into a spin-friendly more-powerful frame by stringing lower with poly?

origmarm
05-14-2008, 02:16 AM
For the ones I have played with I'm going to say in this order
- Prestige Mid (MG)
- POG
- K90
- RDS001
- Redondo

The only comment I would make here is that the K90 is very stable on off centre hits but I never quite had the whip for it. The Yonex is more powerful than the K I feel if you get it just right on your swing, if you are even slightly off though, no joy.

Edit: An of course the PS6.0 85. I would put that in power somewhere between a K90 and a POG if you can get hold of one. The feel is unique though

TW Professor
05-14-2008, 08:53 AM
BTW... according to the TW University power tool, the K90 is the most powerful in terms of % rebound. HOWEVER, what's important to realize is that this tool uses percentages as it's measure.

Percentages are misleading... would you rather have 80% of a million $, or 100% of a thousand $?

Therefore, TW should modify the tool to take into relative rebound velocity based on fixed impact speed and constant string tension... measuring both the rebound velocity as well as rebound distance traveled... this will give you a more relevant perspective.

No way a K90 out rebounds a PDR!

In our tests impact speed is constant. Distance and speed measured. So the percent is an apples to apples comparison. However, the percent will be the same no matter the impact speed. Here is a link to explain our test procedure in a little more depth:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/test_method.html

Vitaly Evchenkov
05-14-2008, 10:20 AM
does TW Professor mean John Cauthen finally got a job???
:confused::shock::twisted:

In D Zone
05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Power Rating: not in order

Kblade Tour 2024
KSixOne Tour 1966
NSix One Tour 1931
MG Prestige 1989
RDS001 1872
DNX10 1830
O3 Tour MS 1945

Bubba
05-14-2008, 12:17 PM
In our tests impact speed is constant. Distance and speed measured. So the percent is an apples to apples comparison. However, the percent will be the same no matter the impact speed. Here is a link to explain our test procedure in a little more depth:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/test_method.html

Thanks, but I disagree. First, you aren't dealing with the same size surface area. Second, even if the strings are same tension, the effective tension is different due to the string length and trampoline effect.

Your measure is good for determining and validating sweet spot location, but not for comparing frame vs. frame. For that you need to isolate the variables, which will be extremely difficult to do.

I guarantee you a Pure Drive Roddick is more powerful than a K90, hands down, no question. Your measures do not support that.

Additionally - I assume you use stationary measures (e.g. frame clamped for impact), in order to measure the rebound... if you don't you have 2 to 3 more HUGE variables in play... Frame Mass and Motion (swing).

To be more effective you would need to use a device similar to what the Golf Mfg.'s use (hitting robot).

Additional edit:

From your site "The ratio of rebound speed to impact speed is the power potential of the location. Because the impact speed is the same for every location and every racquet, the ratio is a very accurate method of comparison."

No it's not due to the variables above that I reference: String Bed surface area.

bertrevert
05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
does TW Professor mean John Cauthen finally got a job???
:confused::shock::twisted:
No, but just his robotic doppelganger ;)

bertrevert
05-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Power Rating:

Kblade Tour 2024
MG Prestige 1989
KSixOne Tour 1966
O3 Tour MS 1945
NSix One Tour 1931
RDS001 1872
DNX10 1830

ok these seem to make sense, add up, seem right, but...

Thanks, but I disagree. First, you aren't dealing with the same size surface area. Second, even if the strings are same tension, the effective tension is different due to the string length and trampoline effect.

Your measure is good for determining and validating sweet spot location, but not for comparing frame vs. frame. For that you need to isolate the variables, which will be extremely difficult to do.

I guarantee you a Pure Drive Roddick is more powerful than a K90, hands down, no question. Your measures do not support that.

Additionally - I assume you use stationary measures (e.g. frame clamped for impact), in order to measure the rebound... if you don't you have 2 to 3 more HUGE variables in play... Frame Mass and Motion (swing).

To be more effective you would need to use a device similar to what the Golf Mfg.'s use (hitting robot).

Additional edit:

From your site "The ratio of rebound speed to impact speed is the power potential of the location. Because the impact speed is the same for every location and every racquet, the ratio is a very accurate method of comparison."

No it's not due to the variables above that I reference: String Bed surface area.

I agree, but they must isolate (clamp?) the frame and then well rebound is rebound, assuming same ball. I think those varible you raise ar taken into account as they are just subsumed in the comparison ...

alexdedo81
05-16-2008, 07:39 AM

Kblade Tour 2024
KSixOne Tour 1966
NSix One Tour 1931
MG Prestige 1989
RDS001 1872
DNX10 1830
O3 Tour MS 1945

IN D Zone... how did you calculate those values?

Vitaly Evchenkov
05-16-2008, 08:46 AM
easy power formula= headsizeXswingweightXflex divided by 1000
--------

dabudabuda
05-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Have a Vantage 90 w/ 70 stiffness unstrung. It serves absolute bombs. Off the ground, for me, it's a rocket launcher in the sweet spot. Need to find string combo to tame the power and get more control.

Redondo Mid in general is very low powered in its recommended tension range but last week strung it up below range w/ some gut cause of my arm and could serve up some flat heaters.

Hit some groundies w/ someone's Kblade tour and w/ good prep & strokes will plough through the ball. Awesome for flat serves couldn't generate spin, might have been the strings

In D Zone
05-16-2008, 05:07 PM
IN D Zone... how did you calculate those values?

Nope - I am not that Geeky! 8-)

Found it here....
http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/racquetfinder/index.html

Simply follow the instruction!

I've been using this chart as reference before I buy a racquet:
My recent acquisition: Volkl Tournament Pro 93 (old rare racquet) - 2020

alexdedo81
05-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey dabudabuda... thanks for your informations. Seems like the vantage is exactly what I am looking for from your description. So you are definitely confirming it's more powerful than a Kblade right? How does finding the sweetspot compares with a K90 for example? I felt like hitting the sweetspot with a prestige or a pog mid was much easier than the k90... it felt really tiny. how do you think the vantage feels?

Sorry guys, I play tournaments at regional level but my knowledge about racquets is really limited.

The vantage you tried had a stiffness of 70 right? which makes it a pretty stiff racquet. Now a stiffer raquet should be more powerful (from what I heard). Like the case of the POG mid which was quite powerful in my opinion. Now if this is the case... why is the prestige known as one of the most powerful mids even if it's very flexy?? Everyone agrees, myself included from what I can recall of my 3 months experience with the PC600, that hitting big forehands and huge serves with the prestige is addictive as the are real rockets. So what does the flex really have to do with power?

If I were to order a vantage, would I be better off with a stiffness of 63RA or 70RA?

LafayetteHitter
05-17-2008, 12:02 PM
The DNX 10 Mid and the BB11 I found to be quite powerful for their headsize. All the feel of a mid frame but they play more like a 95-96" head. A few people mentioned the RDS 001 Mid but I found that frame to be very low powered especially on serves.

LafayetteHitter
05-17-2008, 12:21 PM
The numbers for the Kblade Tour surprise me. I found it was a racquet with little pop and I had to generate all the power with that frame.

Kblade Tour 2024
KSixOne Tour 1966
NSix One Tour 1931
MG Prestige 1989
RDS001 1872
DNX10 1830
O3 Tour MS 1945

Hobomagic
05-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Try the Diablo tour mids great racquets, I think its what you may be looking for.

Seven
05-17-2008, 08:01 PM
... it is not very powerful.
Yeah, it's not.

dabudabuda
05-18-2008, 05:14 AM
THINGS TO BEAR IN MIND:

I got the 90In 19mm. Not a flat beam, its actually 22.4mm just above the grip, and 19.3mm at 12o'oclock and gets to 20mm just above 4 & 8o'oclock, maybe the reason for the "extra weight" as the beam tapers. Even though I have yet to string mine, it feels like the thicker throat will definitely allow for some plowing. The bridge is super thin at 16.3mm in the center.

Never tried the 63RA(these are unstrung stiffness ratings, it should drop some when strung). I think the 70RA would be more similar to the POG. Have hit the intelligence, liquidmetal, flexpoint mid. Granted I have not hit w/ the PC600, but I've swung it, and it seems that it can just have its way with the ball.

Here is my vantage stock unstrung specs. 320g, 12pt HL, 16X18, 90SqIn, 70RA, standard length. ALSO, puposely ordered grip size small so I can add grip builder for extra weight in handle~15g to offset set the ~15g weight of the strings with a goal of ~12+ptHL STRUNG frame. So it is ~350g strung but swings way easy for its weight. Have tried it w/ full synthetic16g, multi/poly, multi/syn(this combo really tapped into the power). STILL trying to find strings to control power rather than bumping up the tension(I string this in the LOW 50s), have had a tender elbow lately & also I prefer not to have to add spin to control the power as I am a flat to moderate spinning allcourter & this would change my natural stroke. BUT it does have awesome spin potential w/ the way open pattern and HL balance.

The thickness distr corresponds with the weight distr. Something about the added weight/thickness in the throat up through the lower hoop seems to help the rackets solidness and ability to push the ball around.

I hit w/ the kblade tour for bout 15min and the leather was replaced w/ 2 overgrips, didnt like the distr of weight in the hoop. It had a poly/multi setup. Kbalde will plow w/ early preparation, weight transfer and stroke. Personally found vantage to be more powerful.

Have not hit w/ the k90 but I have hit w/ the ncode90 and hyperprostaff90 w/ mostly poly or poly/syn hybrids. Have hit the HP90 w/ full livewire and still personally found both to be less powered than the Vantage I own. Never liked the location of the sweetspot on these wilson90s, felt much lower than I prefer(like it right smack in middle or 1-2strings higher than mid in general). It wasnt the size of the sweetspot for me w/ the wilsons that gave me trouble but rather the location. I think the tiny feel you got might be the extra vibes from hitting too high in the string bed? Also, I think the added weight in the handle of my vantage, with it already being so HL dropped the natural sweetspot lower overall. Dont like lead to raise it w/ this because it changes balance that I love so looking for a low powered string/hybrid that will open up the sweetspot if you've got any suggestions. Easier to find the sweetspot than the wilson90s(this is practically true for any racket).

Hit w/ friends POG mid for some 15min, but this was too long to remember thoroughly, but do remember the rawness. Vantage frames are all graphite frames. The 90 does not feel hollow, this is a guess but I think they are foam filled from the feel I get. Mine has a very full feeling especially for pure graphite.

Used the Diablo for 2-3 years and for a mid compared to other mids around the time it was first built, was one of the easier mids to wield. Found Vantage to have more power and spin potential but less control(still tampering w/ though). I know w/ the right string this would be my best serving racket making the diablo my second best w/ the much easier access to spin and power.

I have heard here, that Paul "Racketdesign", if you can call him personally will help you w/ in choosing your racket specs if you describe what you are looking for and how strings affect balance and stiffness.

strike
05-18-2008, 05:40 AM
I would try the Head Microgel Radical Mid+.

I found the Prestige to be very low powered, requiring you to really take huge cuts at it to get any power, I also didn't like the feel of it at all. And since your reference racquet is a Prostaff, I'd bet you find less feel and power in the Prestige & that the K90 is very similar in both to your PS. I found the Radical to have more pop than the Prestige, and it just felt much better all around to me.

The Dunlop Aerogel 300 has some nice power to it as well.

btw - both of those are 98 sq in, but I doubt you could tell the difference, they don't have that OS feel to them.