PDA

View Full Version : Sweetspots of Non 03 Racquets

tfergus09
05-12-2008, 06:45 PM
I hit with Babolat but I am looking for something less stiff. Probably Tecnifibre or Head Insinct. Can anyone tell me if I will have difficulties switching because the sweetspot will be significantly smaller? Or should I move up to the bigger sweetspots of Prince

kalic
05-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Be carefull about dense string pattern of instinct and some tecnifibres. It is so different feel and spin compare to 16x19 babolats. If you want bigger sweetspot, try O3, yonex or oversize players racquets.

0d1n
05-13-2008, 04:08 AM
The LM Instinct has a very big and consistent sweet spot. Also it has wonderful spin potential...the 18x19 pattern in the 100 inch head is NOT dense. It's only dense enough to be consistent but it certainly doesn't negatively affect the spin you can put on the ball.

TW Professor
05-13-2008, 05:34 AM
I hit with Babolat but I am looking for something less stiff. Probably Tecnifibre or Head Insinct. Can anyone tell me if I will have difficulties switching because the sweetspot will be significantly smaller? Or should I move up to the bigger sweetspots of Prince

Here's a tool to compare power and stiffness of a racquet:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/specsandspeed.html

Choose stiffness as spec type. Choose impact location, ball and racquet speed. The list is sorted by power, but you can scroll to compare with RDC stiffness.

fuzz nation
05-13-2008, 06:56 AM
I think that you should just endeavor to find a racquet where you naturally find the sweetspot with your swing - don't sweat the headsize too much. I often play with a rather small headed mid that's a fantastic fit for me. I just swing away with a feeling that I can't miss; almost as if the whole stringbed is a sweetspot. Demo whatever you can and look for that nice fit for you - keep some notes on your different rounds of testing if you can because they can be a handy reference over time. It can be a fun learning process as you try out different gear.

In terms of those racquets you asked about, they all have a sweetspot roughly in the center, so just try them and see how well you find it in each case. It may turn out that you love the weight and balance of a Head frame while the first Prince that you try feels completely foreign to you despite its supposedly larger sweetspot. Switching will be hot and cold, but some samples will give you a better fit, especially if the weight and balance are somewhat familiar for you.